02

Nicest Thing

"What the ?!"

Yixing jabbed him in the rib with a finger. "Language," she scolded him with a frown.

Lu Han chose his next words carefully. "What the--" Yixing frowned deeper, as if daring him to continue. "--hell happened to your hair?"

Sehun fixed his fringe consciously. It was rainbow-colored. Rainbow-colored. He didn't know if Sehun was high on drugs or what, because rainbow-colored? What the actual ?

Another jab, and this time Yixing did it harder. Lu Han yelped in pain, clutching his chest; he hadn't realised he'd said that out loud.

"Language, Lu Han," she warned.

"Sorry," he muttered, before turning his incredulous glare at a rainbow-haired Sehun. "Your brother will kill you,"

Sehun pouted. "I know," he said meekly, slouching.

"But you still did it anyway,"

"But noona said--"

"Stop bullying him," Yixing frowned, pulling Sehun close to him to wind a protective arm around his shoulders. It was platonic at most--Yixing did this 90% of the time to most people, Sehun especially, and Lu Han shouldn't really feel this way, but right then he felt a tiny seed of jealousy grow inside of him, watching Yixing pressed flush against Sehun's side. "Doesn't he look cute?"

Lu Han took out his phone to snap a picture. "I'm going to send this to Kris,"

("What the , Sehun," Kris would say later, glaring down at his younger brother in disbelief. "What happened to your hair?"

Sehun transformed into Wu Shixun then, all shy pouts and fluent mandarin. He'd reasoned out gently--he wanted to try it out for fun, it really wasn't Yixing-noona's fault, and he'd be willing to dye it brown again, if he wanted. But he clearly didn't want to. For once he looked like his age rather than someone trying to look mature and grown up, hanging out with people a lot older than he is.

"I'm sorry, Yifan-ge," Sehun murmured softly, finally looking down. He was still speaking in Mandarin.

How could anyone get angry after seeing that, really. Lu Han watched as Kris, deflating, reached out a tentative hand to thread it in Sehun's colorful locks, cautiously at first, but otherwise not unkindly, resigned to the fact that his brother's hair was rainbow-colored for the rest of summer.

"It's fine." Kris said finally. He pinched Sehun's ear just for fun. "Don't worry anymore, I won't tell our parents. Who knows what Mama would do to you if she found out about--this,"

"Thanks, ge!"

"But you shouldn't let Yixing do things to you all the time, alright?"

Sehun nodded eagerly, but Lu Han knew he wasn't even taking in what Kris was saying anymore. "Don't you think I look good in this color, though?" He asked innocently, blinking up at Kris cutely.

"Don't get cocky, kid." Kris scoffed, "I look better,"

Lu Han, who had been silent all this time, pointed a finger at a frowning Sehun, laughing an unattractive, "Ha, in your face young Shixun!")

"Don't worry about Lu Han, Sehunnie," Yixing cooed, her arm still around Sehun's shoulders. He'd been growing too fast for any of their liking (Lu Han especially, because how could a 14-year old be almost as tall as him?) so Yixing looked ridiculous, uncomfortable, even. She was too short, compared to Sehun. It was actually really cute. "If Kris gets angry at you, I'd be there to kick his ," she grinned.

Yixing couldn't kick any to save her life, especially not Kris's. It was sweet for her to stand up for Sehun, though, but Lu Han knew they still weren't talking, her and Kris, after their, well--break up.

 

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

 


Kris told him, honestly, "It wasn't really working out. I was happy with her, but sometimes I'd look at her and I just know she doesn't really like me back, at least not in the same way I liked her," when Lu Han asked him why they broke up, because they were happy, and looked so in love, how could they just break up so suddenly? Even before they started going out everybody agreed they looked good together, Chanmi and Jonghee even had this bet going around about the possibility of them getting married (Lu Han bet against it not because of jealousy, really); they were perfect for each other.

But when he asked Yixing she said, "But I love him, I really did," and she had been crying, using Lu Han's handkerchief as if it were her own as Lu Han let her lean against him.

She didn't love me, Kris had said.

Lu Han didn't think to ask, Did you, really?, too busy comforting his best friend. He didn't know he loved her back then, didn't acknowledge the happiness and relief he felt when Yixing said, standing outside his door, eyes bright with unshed tears, "I broke up with him,"

 


(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

 


Yixing and Lu Han stayed back as Sehun went to do some groceries alone ("This is my job," he had insisted when Yixing volunteered to help him. "Kris-hyung told me to do this. Alone." Lu Han had led Yixing away from a determined Sehun with a mock-sob of, "It's okay, I'm so proud he's growing up." Yixing laughed, covering with a pretty hand). Yixing was busy with her phone. Lu Han took the time to observe her discreetly, noticing the way her hair glowed too brightly under the sun, how her curls, all natural, framed her angular face.

In all honesty, Yixing wasn't even that pretty; Chanmi had the added height, Kyungseol had her attractive face. Even Yutao looked prettier than Yixing, with her feline eyes and pouty lips. In comparison to the three of them, Yixing was by far the least attractive one. But Lu Han still found her stunning in her own way nonetheless. In his head, he tallied all pros and cons, and came up with an amount that negated the other. One, she had a great body, that much was an accepted truth. She danced like a pro, played piano like a pro, but studied unlike a pro. Everybody would say "innocent" when asked what they'd describe Yixing, but ask Lu Han and he'd beg to differ.

It wasn't that she was innocent, really. She wasn't so much innocent and naive as she was just oblivious and gullible about everything, almost infuriatingly so. Sometimes she acted like a such an air-head Lu Han wasn't sure if she was being serious or not. Most of the time he was actually convinced she was on drugs. Yixing was a sensible (and smart, if she wanted to) girl, but a lot of guys had taken advantage of her obliviousness more often than Lu Han can count.

"What are you staring at, Lu Han?" Yixing asked casually, but her eyes were on her phone.

"I was just thinking about how dumb you are," Lu Han replied automatically.

"Ha ha, funny,"

"It's true!" Lu Han said, "Do you remember that time when, what was his name, Jinki? Yeah, Jinki-hyung. When he asked you to help him with this dance--in his house, alone, mind you--and you agreed so seriously he was taken aback by your brash actions. Turned out he was just kidding, who knew what'd Gwiboon do if she knew you'd like to spend an afternoon in his house--"

"Okay," Yixing cut him off sternly, pouting at him, "Okay, okay. I am dumb, etcetera."

Lu Han grinned as Yixing's cheeks puffed in embarrassment. "How should I know he was just playfully flirting with me, though," she muttered, and then, glaring at Lu Han, "You're no better."

"Ya!"

Yixing giggled. When she smiled a dimple formed on her right cheek. It was tiny and often unnoticed, but Lu Han loved seeing it, anyway. He'd been too distracted looking at her dimple that he'd forgotten to follow up an argument against Yixing's claim of his stupidity. The dimple disappeared.

"You're staring again," Yixing said, suddenly conscious. She fidgeted a little, scratching behind her ear. Lu Han knew it as a sign of nervousness. "Lu Han, does my hair look good on me?"

'You look amazing,' is what Lu Han thought of saying, but that was too honest, too revealing of his feelings. Lu Han gulped, thinking of a better word. Yellow really was an ugly color. It wasn't even blonde, just ugly yellow. Ugly yellow that actually still looked good on her. God, he was so into her it was ridiculous.

In the end he settled with a firm, "Yeah,"

Yixing blushed. Yixing actually blushed. Yixing never blushed. That is, when Lu Han was concerned. She thought of it as a sign of weakness, of being easily swayed, and Lu Han had always scoffed, 'You are such a boy,' (and tried not to remember the times he'd seen her blush a pretty shade of pink when she was still with Kris.)

"Liar," she muttered. The pink was fading on her cheeks already, bringing back the original too pale complexion.

Lu Han wanted to say more just to see Yixing blush again, to see her get flustered at a compliment, but as he opened his mouth to do so his phone beeped to signal a message from Sehun.

"Sehun says he's done," he read, and they both stood up from their chairs, leaving their empty bubble tea containers.

Lu Han pretended not to notice Yixing's tiny smile as she tucked a stray hand behind her ear as she stood up.

 


(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

 


from: Zhang Yixing
21:03, 2013 Jun 23

xiao lu i have something to ask

to: Zhang Yixing
21:03, 2013 Jun 23

what is it

from: Zhang Yixing
21:05, 2013 Jun 23

it's abt a friend

to: Zhang Yixing
21:06, 2013 Jun 23

u have 2 be more specific yixing

from: Zhang Yixing
21:07, 2013 Jun 23

well ok so this friend likes another certain friend

to: Zhang Yixing
21:07, 2013 Jun 23

WHAT
wait do i know these people? and gimme names xing

from: Zhang Yixing
21:10, 2013 Jun 2013

yes u know them. and not telling sorry :( she doesn't want me to tell

to: Zhang Yixing
21:13, 2013 Jun 23

o ok what abt this friend

from: Zhang Yixing
21:15, 2013 Jun 23

well she likes someone she shouldn't like, she says. what does she do

to: Zhang Yixing
21:15, 2013 Jun 23

why shouldn't she like this person

to: Zhang Yixing
21:19, 2013 Jun 23

ya

from: Zhang Yixing
21:20, 2013 Jun 23

sorry

to: Zhang Yixing
21:21, 2013 Jun 23

it's a secret

to: Zhang Yixing
21:21, 2013 Jun 23

does this person know this friend's feelings?

from: Zhang Yixing
21:22, 2013 Jun 23

which person

to: Zhang Yixing
21:23, 2013 Jun 23

what

from: Zhang Yixing
21:23, 2013 Jun 23

what

to: Zhang Yixing
21:23, 2013 Jun 23

what

from: Zhang Yixing
21:24, 2013 Jun 23

what

Yixing answered after three rings, wheezing in laughter, "I don't understand--"

"I should be saying that!" but he was laughing as well at the ridiculousness of it all. Yixing was so dumb, it was so hard to comprehend what she was even trying to say.

"You're so dumb, Yixing,"

"I am hanging up, goodbye,"

"But you need my help,"

Lu Han could practically hear her smirk as she replied, "I could always ask Minseok-oppa for help. Goodnight,"

"No, wait!" Lu Han said even if he knew Yixing wouldn't hang up. "I'm sorry, now tell me about this friend,"

It took Lu Han a few more minutes to coax Yixing into telling him, because Yixing was playful like that, and also partially because Lu Han wanted to talk to her some more.

"Okay, so," she said finally, this time serious. "As I said, I have a friend who likes this certain other friend. She tells me she shouldn't like this friend. Do you get me?"

"No," Lu Han was an honest person. He heard Yixing sigh at the other end as he lay down on his bed. "Can we give them names?"

"My friend will be called Friend, and the other friend would be called Best Friend,"

"Okay," Lu Han said. Best friend, huh. As if on cue, his heart started pacing at a faster rate; he knew where this was heading, deep in his gut.

"Don't interrupt," Yixing commanded, waited for Lu Han's affirmation, and then continued, "Okay so, Friend told me that she shouldn't like Best Friend because...they are good friends. Very good friends,"

Lu Han waited with anticipation.

"Best Friend doesn't know about my friend's feelings,"

Lu Han couldn't help it. He blurted out, "But how does Friend know Best Friend doesn't like her back?"

There was a pause. Lu Han bit his tongue because crap, he wasn't supposed to sound eager and wound up. But Yixing said, hesitating, "It's complicated," It was too vague to be considered a decent answer. Lu Han wanted to know more.

"What if he does, though?" Lu Han should really stop, but his heart was screaming for him to continue, for him to take this chance; the conversation was so predictable. Best friends? Funny how they seemed like the same people. "What if he's just waiting for the right time to tell her?"

Yixing's next reply was a soft, "That's why I came to you, though," Lu Han's heart pounded against his ribs, it was getting harder to breathe--"What would you do, if you were in her place,"

Another pause, and then, "If...if you loved your best friend, as well,"

"I--I would tell her, I guess,"

"That's it?" and it was a disappointed reaction, he knew, like she was expecting a more elaborate one, so he in a breath, and, to hell with it, answered honestly:

"If I knew she liked me back, I wouldn't hesitate to tell her as soon as possible. But in the occasion that she didn't--" here he paused, biting his lip, thinking about the next words to say, "I guess I'd just...stay by her side. Make her happy. Call it anyway you want, friendzoned or whatever, but--but if I really did like her a lot, then I'm willing to do all of those,"

But he wasn't done. "If I weren't sure about her feelings, though, I'd risk confessing. I might get rejected, and our friendship might not go back to the way it was, but at least I did something about it.

Tell your...friend that I'd want her to take a risk. Who knows? He might like her back, right? It's better to know the truth than not knowing at all only because she's scared of finding out,"

Lu Han knew he screwed up, big time. He was basically telling Yixing what he felt, and although Yixing might be dumb most of the time, there was no telling what she thought of the whole conversation right then.

It showed in the pause how hard she was taking to think about everything he'd said. Lu Han prayed, eyes closed tight, that Yixing didn't notice how honest and raw and vulnerable his voice was. How obvious his feelings were.

"That was...wow," Yixing said finally. She was at awe, which was a good sign, as opposed to shocked and confused. Lu Han was expecting a conflicted Yixing. He breathed out a sigh of relief. Guess Yixing was really just dumb not to realise it was Lu Han's impromptu confession. "You're great with this, you know? I'll tell my...friend about this,"

Her friend, yeah right.

"Thanks a lot, Lu Han,"

Lu Han wanted to say more, pester her--bully her into telling her what she felt about everything, why was she hiding, who was this friend?

Did she like him back?

"Okay, goodnight, Yixing,"

"Yeah, you too,"

And then he was just listening to the constant beep-beep-beep and not Yixing's voice, waiting for his nerves to calm down. His heart felt heavy; he was both happy and confused, shaking with excitement, with adrenaline. Happy with the prospect of Yixing liking him back, confused as to why Yixing had to hide behind the pretend 'Friend.'

to: Wu Shixun
22:47, 2013 Jun 23

i think yixing likes me

from: Wu Shixun
22:56, 2014 Jun 23

lol dream on hyung

to: Wu Shixun
22:58, 2013 Jun 23

you >:|

from: Zhang Yixing
22:58, 2013 Jun 23

language!!!!!!!!!! >:(

to: Wu Shixun
22:58, 2013 Jun 23

you ing traitor

from: Wu Yifan
23:00, 2013 Jun 23

please stop teaching my brother inappropriate words

from: Wu Shixun
23:03, 2013 Jun 23

bbuing bbuing ge

 

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

 

notes:
 
to anyone who's confused, apparently sehun's chinese name is wu shixun :3 so, yeah. wu brothers. ATTRACTIVE BROTHERSSSS!!! anyway in this fic sehun and kris are actually step brothers--mama wu married daddy oh. the reason why shixun is associated with innocent!sehun is bc when they were younger, mama wu often called sehun shixun and had kris calling him that as well. when they got older they had to leave for korea, and sehun had no choice but to drop the fond chinese name. once in awhile kris calls him shixun, and he goes back to being young shixun, pampered and childish.
 
thank you to everyone who's been reading, here is a picture of da wu brothers for you! ♥ http://24.media.tumblr.com/8f859c327651e704e02c6b0c5b0d1072/tumblr_mu5yoxlvkz1s8qgpgo1_500.jpg