Chapter 4

L.A. Here I Come!

 

I force myself to open my eyes, I guess I slept for hours considering that it’s already dark outside. Suddenly I hear water running. Okay, who the hell is taking shower in my house? I grab a thick dictionary hoping that it’s enough to knock who the hell in my bathroom is. I slowly walk outside of my bedroom, walking towards the bathroom, avoiding making any noise. I put my hand on the door knob and I’m surprised that it’s not locked. I open the door slowly.

“YAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!” the girl inside the bathroom screams once she sees me. She’s all wet, her hair is full with foam and she hides her body parts with the shower curtain. “Get the hell out!!!” she screams again. I swear that’s the loudest sound I’ve ever heard in my entire life. I’m standing at the door frame, all confuse with this situation. The maniac throws a shampoo bottle at me and I quickly walk out and wait for her to come out of the shower. Who the hell is this person, is she homeless, what is she doing taking a shower in someone else’s bathroom? Are LA people always this crazy? And how the hell she entered my apartment?

I wait patiently until she comes out of the bathroom with a pink robe, arm crossed. The girl walks towards me and raises her eyebrows. She is tall, only inches tall from me I think, long wavy wet dark hair, her eyes, okay, I cannot look into her eyes. I mean if I'm attracted to her eyes, that's considered as cheating on Jessica. So I just look down on the floor.

“This is my apartment” the two of us say at the same time. I look up to her, she looks like an angry dragon right now, a wet angry dragon, a hot wet angry dragon wearing a pink rob. “What do you mean by this is your apartment, this is my apartment!” again, we say in sync for the second time. “Urghh!” we yell, again in sync for the third time. I turn around to face the wall and massage my temple.

“Michin yeoja” for the fourth time we say in sync. Wait, did she just speak in Korean language? I turn around to face her again. “Oh, Korean?” she asks. “Hey listen here, Korean midget, I don’t know where did you get the key to this apartment but this is my apartment, so please get out!” she says again.

“Hey, listen here Miss whatever your nationality is…” I pause when she interrupts.

“AMERICAN-KOREAN, I’M AMERCIAN-KOREAN”

“Whatever, listen here…I just paid two months deposit for this apartment, so this is MY APARTMENT, so please get out” I raise my voice a little, looking straight into her eyes. Okay, her eyes. Stop it Kim Taeyeon! She groans and walks towards a door that was locked when I came to see this place this morning. I thought that was a storage room?

“Get ready, I’m going to meet the landlord. He’s going to kick you out!” she shouts before slamming the door. I sigh and wait for about five minutes until the girl is done with her pink shirt and short jeans. Her legs, I think I'm drooling right now. I shake my head and breathe properly. She walks out of the apartment and I follow her behind. She is going to regret this. That kind guy is going to defend me and she’s the person who is going to be kicked out. But wait, how does she know where the guy lives?

“Mister Lawson!” she screams when we finally arrive in front of a house not far from the apartment. Mister Lawson, okay I’m trying my best to be positive here, it might be the young guy’s name, right? But why is this maniac calling him as Mister, isn’t he at the same age? I thought she would call something like, Adam or David or Brad. “Mister Lawson!” she shouts again, but there is no answer. We’ve been here for almost five minutes and not one of us is giving up. An old lady walks towards us from our left.

“You’re looking for Mister Lawson?” the old lady asks. “Yes, ma’am, do you know where he is?” the maniac asks back. “Uhm, he’s gone” the lady answers.

“Gone?!” the two of us, for the fifth time say in sync.

“He’s gone visiting his daughter in New York” the lady says.

“Wait, what? New York? When is he coming back?” the maniac shrieks.

“Two weeks? A month? I don’t really know” she says before walking away from us. This is hell!

As soon as we arrive at the so-called my apartment, we both sit in the living room, across each other. We’re in silence for few minutes.

“You have to understand, I’ve paid two months deposit, and I’m not moving out” I break the silent. “I have no money left and whether you like it or not, I’m staying here” I say and stand up, walking towards my bedroom, leaving the groaning maniac alone in the living room. I slam the door before grabbing my phone from the table near my bed.

“Hello, princess” I say once the call is answered. “How are you?” I sit on the bed.

“Taeyeon, hai!” she says in a cheerful voice. It makes me happy. “I’m fine. How’s the new apartment?”

“Uhm, it’s okay” I answer short. “And I actually have a housemate”

“Oh, that’s great, at least you’re making a new friend. Is she American?” Jessica asks.

“No, she’s apparently just like you, American-Korean” I say when I remember the maniac telling me her nationality. I sigh.

“What is it baby?” she asks. I think she heard the sigh. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m just…I thought I have this place all to myself, but boy I was wrong”

“It’s not a bad thing, Taeyeon” she says. “Anyway, I have to go, I have tons of assignment to finish tonight. Don’t forget your dinner, okay?”

“Okay sica, you too, don’t forget your dinner, and I’ll see you tomorrow. I love you” I say, but unfortunately the only word she says to me iss ‘bye’ and she actually hangs up on me. No reply. I cannot wait for her to finish her studies, I really miss the old Jessica.

I wake up early the next morning, I’m thinking of going for a little shopping before meeting Jessica for lunch. I didn’t have dinner last night because there is no food at all at this place, I mean, maybe there are, but the maniac keep it to herself. I grab my towel from the chair and walk out of my bedroom. I open the bathroom door, I swear my ear drums exploded when the maniac screams inside of the shower. “Yah!!!!! Get out!!!!!!!” she shouts. I close the door and walk in frustration to the kitchen. I sit at the small dining table. What is happening, why me God? Why her? If I have extra cash, I swear I’ll move out. I massage my temple when I see the maniac comes to the kitchen.

“Yah! Can you not be rude and knock on the door before entering?” she says, arm crossed, wet angry dragon! She’s breathing heavily as I can see from her chest. “Yah! What are you looking at?” she yells and cover her upper body with her hands. “You did it yesterday and you did it again today, and now you’re staring at my s!” she shrieks. “ERT!!!!” she screams before she walks away.

“Wait…what? I’m not a per…” I groan loudly before standing up to take my shower.

As promised, I come to UCLA today to see Jessica for lunch. And I’ve been waiting for her for almost half an hour now, she texted me fifteen minutes ago she’s going to be a little late. Well, better late than never. I am tortured with the maniac back at home, at least a lunch with my princess will lighten me up.

“Taeyeon” I hear a voice from behind, I turn around and smile, and it’s Jessica. “Hai princess” I greet her.

 “I’m sorry I made you wait” she pouts a little. I smile and lean in to kiss her pouting lips, but she takes a step back from me before I even kiss. “Not here, Taeyeon” she says. “Let’s go to this special place for lunch, I’m sure you’ll love it!” she says happily and walks in front of me. I smile and follow her behind. I quicken my steps and now I’m walking beside her. I try to hold her hand but she refuses, putting her hand inside her pocket. I sigh inaudibly. Why is she like this?

Lunch is no good, we only talk when it’s necessary. She only pays attention of her phone. When I ask what she’s doing, she says she’s sending her assignment to her professor and blah blah. When I try to feed her with my spoon, she refuses, I mean, we did this kind of thing back in high school. I wonder why she refuse to let me kiss her earlier, and why is she now refusing to not let me feed her, I mean, I never eat cucumber these past few years since I date her.

“What is it Taeyeon?” she asks.

“Nothing”

I don’t want to talk about it because I know where it would lead, fighting. And fighting is the last thing I want between us right now.

“Tell me, I know that look. What did I do wrong?” she asks again. She leans in closer and kiss my cheek.

“There is nothing wrong, I think I’m having indigestion” I lie.

“Okay, then let’s go home. I’ll send you home” she says.

“No, I’ll go home by myself”

“Okay, if that’s what you want”