Chapter 2

L.A. Here I Come!

 

 

From high school, I’ve been imagining myself and Jessica walking hand in hand every morning to university but thanks to her scholarship she attends UCLA and I attend Seoul University, wait, let me rephrase that, I attended Seoul University. I finished my diploma around three months ago and decided to upgrade my English here in UCLA. After all, I thought for a second that the imagination is going to be a reality but right now, Jessica is walking centimetres away from me, no hope for holding hands.

“Taeyeon, I think I’m late for class” she says as we stop walking inside of the university building. I turn to face her. “That’s the language centre, just walk straight and you’re all good” she says and points somewhere behind me.

“You’re not going to walk me there?” I raise my eyebrows.

“No, I have to go to class, I’m late, plus you said it last night, you can take care of yourself, right?” she smiles at me and takes my arms. “You’ll be fine”

I don’t know but I pout a little when I see her walking away from me in a rush. I guess she is really busy with her studies. I sigh quietly and turn around, walking towards the direction she showed me.

“Taeyeon!”

I hear she calls me and I turn around happily. I know she forgot to say it just now, I know she forgot to say ‘I love you Taeyeon’ like she usually did in high school whenever we leave for class. I look at her and smile widely, waiting for her to say it.

“Don’t forget to find a house!” she shouts. She waves at me and turns away, walking briskly towards the elevator. I turn around and continue walking towards a door with the ‘Language Centre’ on it. I’m frustrated.

After registering I decided to walk around campus, to be honest, this place is bigger than Seoul University, this place is daebak! The students are nice too, showing places to me and stuffs. One even helped me by giving a list of places to rent around LA. I really need to find a place to stay before Jessica say ‘Taeyeon, find a house’ to me every time she sees me. I try calling each numbers and ask about the cost per month. And I just realised that, places in LA are damn expensive. I give up for today.

At night, just like the previous night, I cooked the girls Korean foods. I’m happy the three of them enjoy the foods. See, this is what I mean by what’s good having me here in Los Angeles.

Sooyoung burps and smiles at me. The three of us laugh seeing Sooyoung like that.

“Eat more” I say and put some grilled meat in her plate. She smiles and winks at me this time. From high school, Sooyoung is very well known for her ability to eat like a pig. She really, I mean, REALLY eats a lot, I wonder where the food go because she is skinny as hell. Skinny and tall, well, this reminds me of Kwangsoo of Running man, oh I miss watching the show, I need to download the episodes I missed from Kshownow later.

“I’m so glad you’re here, unnie. I really miss my mom’s cooking” Yoona says and put more rice in her plate.

“What’s tomorrow’s recipe, ahjumma?” Sooyoung asks and the three girls laugh. I laugh a little later.

“You have no shame, Sooyoung” Jessica says before she sips her water.

“Ey, while she’s here, it’s good to ask her to cook for us, right Yoong?” Sooyoung says and looks at Yoona. Yoona only nods because , as I can see is full with rice.

“But I’m moving out soon” I says and see Jessica from the corner of my eyes. She stops eating and looks at me. I realise the two girls in front of us start to move and leave us immediately. I have no idea why, but maybe Jessica gave them a look that says ‘go away I need to talk to my girlfriend’.

“Have you found any place, Taeyeon?” she says once the two shikshins disappeared from the kitchen. I stop eating and bit my lower lip. “Not yet” I answer her. It’s seriously hard to find a place to stay in Los Angeles, it’s damn hard. Some are expensive, some are far, and the good ones are all taken.

“It’s okay, try harder tomorrow. There are a lot place here to rent” she says and continue eating. I sigh inaudibly. “Okay” I say. “But can I stay here a bit longer, I see Sooyoung and Yoona are okay with it”

“It’s not them, it’s the landlord, baby” she says. “Plus, it’s better to find it soon, because once your course starts, you’ll have no time” she smiles at me. I am nothing but disappointed. Princess, you’re supposed to live with your wangjanim, not two shikshins.

After finished cleaning up the dishes I walk to Jessica’s room to find her already safe and sound under the blanket. She must be tired. I grab my laptop and sit quietly on the bed beside her. So, what am I going to do now? Oh yes, downloading missed episode of Running man and of course update my blog reader with this annoying tale of my princess chasing me out of the palace.