CHAPTER 5 - Hungry Eyes

Buttercream Kiss

 

“Suho-ssi, I’ll just put your phone through the mail slot out front door. You can pick it up and that will be that – ok? We’ll never even have to speak to each other again. Ok, Suho-ssi?” I pouted in a high-pitched baby voice as I rocked back and forth on my heels.

 

It was hard to believe that just moments ago I had been practically screaming at this man. Maybe I was crazy, or just looking for any way to seek revenge on this stuck-up (but gorgeous) jerk Kim Suho…but that faintly glazed look his brown eyes took on as I pulled one of my sugary-sweetest aegyo had my heart beating a mile a minute. Thinking that the so-called cold kingka of our class could be melted with just a little aegyo was really too funny. I loved the idea of torturing through the glass. Smirking to myself I continued a veritable parade of aegyo poses – bouncing in front of the window, puffing my cheeks up, wiggling my shoulders, batting my eyelashes, and pulling cute hand motions – in front of the immobilized Suho. Kekekekekekeke Just wait until I tell Hyejoo that her tormentor’s boyfriend is really just an easy man with no standards kekekeke, I thought mischievously when •••BUZZ•••

 

Eunmi-ssi, don’t mistake this for concern but…

 

Yes! I high-fived myself mentally Is he going to fall this easily? Can I really make a fool of him so quickly?

 

…Are you maybe having a seizure?

 

MWOH?!? Like lightening my face transformed from the babydoll face of an aegyo goddess into the snarling grimace of an angry cat.

 

“YAH! Kim Suho – get your pyeontae off my property. Besides, don’t think I didn’t see you looking at me with those hungry eyes. Who knew you were such an easy man? HAH.”

 

You’re right. They were hungry…

 

I wanted to drop the phone like it was a hot iron. What exactly was Kim Suho getting at with these vague text messages? My face fell out of its intimidating frown into a look of barely veiled confusion. Hungry for what? Hungry for…me? I gulped. Electricity buzzed in my fingers as I felt the warm glow of an embarrassed blush blossom across my features. I couldn’t bring my self to look up at Suho to figure out what he wanted…so, trying to play cool, I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes. I waited for a response…I wasn’t going to let him embarrass me with my own imagination again. JEEZ. This guy had managed to embarrass me…IN MY OWN HOME…WITH NO ONE ELSE WATCHING. UGH.

 

So. What exactly is that – behind you?

 

Keeping my arms crossed, I quickly tossed my head over my shoulder. I made a quick scan of the room trying to make sure that nothing was amiss. Everything was as it should be. The breakfast table was spotless with a platter of cookies arranged beautifully as a centerpiece, no one was under the table, and each piece of furniture in the room was perfectly arranged. Yet I had a sinking feeling that Suho was trying to pull the wool over my eyes again…or maybe that he had been distracting me so that Seo Nana could break into my house to ruin my life…or maybe….  Ohhhh. Was he hungry for the cookies?

 

“What are you talking about, pyeontae? These cookies? These delicious, butterscotch pretzel cookies?”

 

Suho gazed at the platter like a ravenous wolf. I decided to as much as I could.

 

“So it’s these oh-so-scrumptious you want, huh? Well let me tell you, they are sooooo good with a nice, tall glass of mil—“

 

***RUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMBLLLLLLE***

 

Whipping my head toward the window, I found Suho staring up into the sky with a look of horror. And then it happened. It was as though the entire contents of the heavens had decided to unleash themselves on his head.  The boy who had been standing so coolly a moment before, with his blazer casually slung over his shoulder and his hair perfectly mussed, looking like he had just stepped out of an advertisement for school uniforms now had the panicked look of a small dog in a thunderstorm as he held his blazer over his head as a makeshift umbrella. This did nothing to stop the torrential downpour – in mere seconds he was a sopping mess. I couldn’t help it. I fell to the floor in a heap of laughter. After laughing until my sides hurt I looked up to find Suho plastered against the window. I almost felt bad for laughing. With the rain disheveling his façade…he now just looked like a frightened child. Shaking in the cold with the face of an innocent and utterly helpless angel. 

 

“Yah! Suho-ssi…” I raised my voice so he could hear me over the patter of the rain. His head shot up as his wide, panicked eyes searched my face. I chuckled to myself.

 

“…If you use aegyo to say you’re sorry…I’ll let you in until the storm passes.”

 

Trying to pull himself back together, Suho scoffed at me in pure defiance. ****RUMMMMBLLLLE**** I thought he might jump to the roof as another clap of thunder rolled out. His big brown eyes sought me out in a puppy-dog face of panic.

 

“Well? What are you waiting for? Aegyo it up, Mister.”

 

“I’m waiiiiiitiiiiiing” I drawled out this last syllables with mock impatience.

 

“But I’m holding my jacket…” was Suho’s muffled response.

 

“It’s your choice. Would you rather get a little wet now? Or a lot wet later?”

 

Suho ducked his head, looked down at the ground and huffed one time before dropping his jacket. When he looked up he had puffed up his cheeks into a truly adorable pout that took my breath away. His eyelashes were wet with rain and his cheeks flushed from the cold and I could hear my heart rattling away in my ears.

“BUING BUING Eunmi-ssi, Suho Oppa is sooo sowwy BUING BUING” Suho pranced in front of the window. It was a hilarious sight to be sure and I should have been laughing, but instead my knees had gone to jelly and I couldn’t breathe.

 

“Uhhhh. I’ll erm…just…I’ll…TO THE FRONT DOOR!” I stuttered awkwardly and scuttled off to the front of the house. Seconds later, a dripping wet Kim Suho was standing in my doorway.

 

“I cannot believe how irrational you are. Look at me! My books are probably soaked too…All because you had to be such a vindictive child, Hong Eunmi!” Suho fumed when I let him in. How could I have let myself get flustered by such an arrogant jerk?! What a creep! Just listening to him makes my blood boil…

 

“Yeah, well, I guess karma’s rough isn’t it? Of course, you are more than welcome to march right back outside if you’d rather not spend your time with a …what was it? Oh yes. Vindictive child.” I smirked as I blocked his entrance.

 

“I’m no more happy about this than you are Eunmi-ssi,” Suho ran a hand through his damp hair “but let’s just remember that none of this would have happened if you hadn’t trashed my phone earlier today.”

 

I huffed my bangs out of my face in a show of obvious frustration – the nerve of this guy!

 

“I think you might be forgetting that I just kindly let you into my house AND that I fixed your phone.” I fished the offending piece of technology out of my pocket and tossed it at him. “Here’s your precious phone back. So please, go ahead, text your girlfriend and tell her ALL about how you had to do aegyo just because you’re scared of a little rain. Hmph. Oh – and let her know that I totally love those Pororo stickers she put all over your phone.” Turning on my heel I marched back to the kitchen…until an ice-cold hand encircled my wrist.

 

What did you say?” I gulped as Suho spun me around and bored holes into my skull with his deep brown eyes. We were now so close I could practically feel his bangs dripping on my head.

 

“I said…go ahead…text your girlfriend Seo Nana – tell her that your phone is fixed, tell her to stay the hell away from me and Hyejoo, and tell…” Suho looked like he had swallowed something bitter.

 

“I don’t want to ever hear you say that again. Seo Nana is. Not. My. Girlfriend.” Suho gazed at me with an unfamiliar intensity that I couldn’t read. His cheeks were flushed with cold, his eyes smoldered as his brows knitted as he stared into my eyes.

 

“Yah. Get your pyeontae hands off of me…Pororo.” I spat.