Chapter 5

Not Like Ice

Unfortunate Event #5 — Home, Not So Sweet.

 

"Leo... Can you hear me?" Someone whispered to him. He opened his eyes to a bright light. Finally his eyes adjusted and he saw clearly. It was the sky. Sitting up, he rubbed his eyes. "Where am I...?" He asked quietly as he looked around. He was in a field full of blooming flowers. Nothing else. He couldn't even find the person talking to him. "How are you feeling?" The voice asked again. "I'm fine..." He said as he looked at himself. Slowly, he slid his hand behind his back to feel the wounds missing. "I hope I'm not dead.. is this a dream..?" He asked. "Yes. And when you're ready, just wake up. But I warn you, it will be painful." The voice said in a gentle tone. Leo looks up at the sky. "I'm willing to take that..." He replied confidently. "If you say so!" The voice said. Suddenly, the flowers all withered and the sky turned gray. Leo stood up in alarm and watched the whole scenery die. Everything shriveled up and died. A beautiful scene turned into a tragedy. Just like that. Within minutes, Leo fell over and out. 
 
Leo's eyes fluttered open and instantly he tried to sit up. Right as he did, pain struck his whole back and he fell right back down, worsening the back pain. He loudly yelled in pain. You just happened to be sitting there when you saw him wake up so suddenly. Immediately you jumped to your feet and rushed over to him. "LEO!" You screamed as tears streamed down your cheeks. You hovered over him. Leo winced in pain before looking into your eyes. "Why are you crying?" He asked quietly. "Leo... they thought you wouldn't wake up.. They were about to end you..." You said through your tears. The tears dripped off your chin and onto the bed. Leo blinked in dismay. "What?  I was in a coma??" He asked. You covered your mouth with your hand and tried to calm yourself down as you nodded. "H-How long...?" He asked. "Leo... it's been a month and a few days already..." You answered. Leo stared at you wide-eyed. "How?" He blurted out. You shrugged and more tears streamed down. "Don't cry..." He pleaded. You turned your back to him and wiped your tears. "Mianhae... I just... " You started to say, unable to finish. Gently, Leo stretched out his hand and grabbed your arm. You stopped and turned around. "Did something happen to you while I was gone..?" He asked urgently. The tears stopped and you looked coldly at the ground. "Answer me..." He asked. You turned your head and looked away from him. "I never saw that bastard again..." You said quietly. "Are you lying?" He asked again. You looked into his eyes and shook your head. Leo tightened his grip on your arm and pulled you closer to him. "Do you think..." He started to say. "I already thought about it..." You said quickly. Leo nodded slightly. With all his strength, he let go of your arms and helped himself sit up. This time, it was a lot less painful since it wasn't so sudden. You looked at him expressionlessly. After he sat up, he slid his legs over the bed and tried to stand up. You backed up enough for him to stand. "Where are you going?" You asked in curiousity. "I'm not staying in here any longer." He replied as he grabbed his clothes and went to the bathroom to change. "O-Oh okay..." You said as he shut the door. You didn't know what to do, so you just sat on the chair and waited. After about half an hour, he came out, looking a little better than before. You stood up happily, knowing that he was obviously feeling better. Then the question came up. "Can you drive?" He asked you. You looked at him awkwardly and shook your head. He then turned his head and looked out the window. A month has passed, but it was still the heart of winter, probably the worst part of winter. "I can't possibly make her walk through that snow..." He thought in his mind. "I don't have a c-" He stopped in his thoughts. He turned to look at you, who was just staring blankly at him. "How did you get here?" He asked. "Oh! I took a bus and walked a little... But um I sorta..." You stopped talking and gestured toward your small luggage on the floor beside the bed. "Wait, you were staying with me the whole time???" He asked in surprise. You looked down at the ground embarrassingly. "I wasn't sure when you'd wake up..." You answered quietly. Leo's heart suddenly fell out of place. It felt like it was going to explode out of him. He needed to get out of this topic. "Well that's why you haven't seen the man.." He said calmly. You bit your bottom lip and nodded, not daring to look up at him. Unable to control his feelings, he gently lifted your head by your chin and then cupped your face with both of his hands. "You care too much." He said plainly. You gulped before answering, "I... like you too much..." After you said that, a small smile came upon Leo's face. "That's okay, but I like you more." He answered. Just as you opened your mouth to say more, he pressed his lips against yours. For a pure minute, you swear you just touched heaven. Without realizing it, you were kissing him back. Slowly, he pulled his lips away and left you dazed. You looked into his eyes, frozen, unable to move or say anything else. Leo smiled at you and winked. And then your heart suddenly exploded. Then he let go of your face. "Can we get out now?" He asked. You instantly nodded and turned around to grab your backpack and luggage. "Okie!" You answered. "Do you need help with that?" He asked as he watched you sling your backpack onto your back. You switched your luggage to your right hand and shook your head. Without hesitation, Leo grabbed your left hand and leaded you out of the room. Luckily, your small luggage had those wheels. Right as you both entered the hall, a nurse stopped talking on the phone and stared wide-eyed at Leo. "SIR? Are you sure you want to leave already? Weren't you just in a coma??" She asked as she rummaged through her papers and looked for his profile. He tugged on your hand and kept walking. You followed him closely behind. You didn't dare to look back. 
When you both finally made it to the lobby downstairs, Leo searched his pocket for his phone. You let go of his warm hand and pulled his phone out of your pocket, handing it to him. He looked at it blankly. "Why do you have my phone?" He asked teasingly as he took it. You blushed in embarrassment. Never in your life have you been like this. You were always the cool girl at school, now you're the shy, adorable girl. Not to mention your face was pink all the time now. Leo called for a taxi and then hung up, sliding his phone back into his pocket. Again, he grabbed your hand and led you to the door. As you both waited, you felt an awkward silence creep up between you two. The taxi finally came and you both climbed in. "Ok, wher-" The taxi driver stopped and looked at Leo. "Hey! Aren't you that kid from the news last mo-" He was cut off as you blurted out, "Um can you take us to 113 Wanthirten Street?" The taxi driver stopped talking and nodded. He started up the vehicle and drove carefully through the streets. After he arrived, you paid him and quickly hopped out of the car. Cautiously, you looked around. Leo shut the car door beside him and rested his hand on your shoulder. "Don't worry, okay? I'm here." He whispered. "That's why I'm worried...." You mutter under your breath as you walk over to your house. Quickly, you unlocked it and headed inside, Leo following you. "Why are so tense?" He asked as he sat down on your couch and relaxed his back. "Mianhae..." You say quietly as you set your things down. "Are you hungry?" You added. "I guess..." He answered he looked down at his body, which looks a little thinner. Quickly, you headed into the kitchen and prepared something quick. While you were busy in the kitchen, Leo saw a scrapbook lying in the corner of the room. Silently, he bent over and picked it up. It was a family scrapbook. Slowly, he opened it and started to look through the pages. Finally, he reached the end of the book and was just scanning through the last few pages. And then he saw a note. Curious, he unfolded it and started reading. As he did, he dropped the scrapbook on the floor in a heavy thud. You rushed into the living room and looked at him. "What happened? I thought you fell or something!" You said with worry. Quickly, Leo shoved the paper into his pocket and shook his head. "Nothing, I just accidently let it slip off my lap." He lied. "Okaay..." You say before heading back into the kitchen. As soon as you were gone, he took out the note and re-read it, again and again. "How do I tell her..." He mumbled gravely.