Chapter 15

Not Like Ice

Unfortunate Event #15 — Pain of Being Unwanted.

 
 
 
"Why are you so quiet...." Leo asked in his head as he kept glancing over at you, who walked on quietly.
Biting his bottom lip, he gently nudged you. "Mwo?" You asked without looking at him. 
Leo quickly thought in his head and gathered his words. "Gwenchana..?" He asked nervously.
"I'm fine." You replied nearly instantly.
"I know you're lying.." He mumbled, barely audible.
"I know you do." You grumbled a little angrily.
Leo instantly stopped, grabbing your shoulders in both of his broad hands. "Yah! Look at me!" He pleaded when you looked away. As much as you tried to ignore him, his soft fingers brought your chin up.
The two pairs of brown eyes met, and they both did not turn away. "Please tell me..?" He asked again, back into his quiet voice. "What makes you think you can just drag me wherever?" You said, although you wanted to yell it out. Leo looked down, remembering the incidents. "I'm sorry..." He said like a little child.
"You should be." You grumbled angrily. In spite of your complete anger, Leo still managed to push you against his warm body, hugging you tightly. 
Even though you didn't hug him back, Leo still got his message to you.
"What did you do now?" You asked in a gentle tone, trying not to sound mad anymore.
Leo blinked for a moment, gathering his thoughts before speaking once again.
"I brought your mother home... your real one."
 
You froze, unable to reply or move. 
"Real one."
The wind pushed hard and the light snow drifted around wildly, which was the only sound heard.
Once more, it started to snow.
The silence between you two grew.
 
Leo had slowly pulled away from the hug, giving you space to look into his eyes once more.
His gleaming eyes seemed to look into you, as if they were searching for answers.
Or maybe a reaction.
After a few minutes, he pulled back into the hug, massaging your back lightly. He bent his head over, leaning onto your shoulder and whispering into your hair softly, "It's going to be alright." 
His warm breath gave you chills. As much as you didn't want to give into this, you gave up.
You buried your face in his shoulder, your hands crept up his sides to hug him. "Oppa... She's like dad." You said through a muffled voice.
"So she has a really kind heart? I know. Kaja." He said quickly. Leo tugged away from the hug, gripped onto your wrist tightly and pulled you along with him.
You followed him obediently, although your insides gave you a really bad feeling, almost making you feel hollow.
When you both arrived, there was not a single clue of an occupant in your house, yet Leo still ventured in determinedly. 
By the time he switched the lights on, your mother was sitting there, sitting on the couch lazily. Once she had a glance of you, the woman immediately stood up, pushing the blanket off her. You stood behind Leo, ignoring his gentle tugs to step out to her. While peeking over his shoulder she had caught your gaze, and you both stared for a while. During the whole time, the ends of your hair stood on end, and you couldn't get that feeling away.
"Leo-ah, can we get a few minutes?" She asked quietly. Being the gentleman he was, Leo bowed quickly, gently tugged you in front, and then went outside, since he didn't want to get tempted to eavesdrop by going to another room.
As soon as he shut the door, there was a loud thud and the door was instantly locked.
 
Perhaps they needed more alone time then thought? Or maybe she was saying something she didn't want Leo to hear?
It didn't matter, though, because as long as they both talked, he was alright with sitting on the frozen steps.
 
"Please tell me you're not what I produced." She said plainy, as if disappointed.
You stood there, wide-eyed. Was she disgusted with you or something?
"E-Excuse me...?" You asked a little nervously as she walked toward you. Roughly, she grabbed your chin and turned your face to the side, as if examining you.
"You have a birthmark. Where is it?" She asked swiftly. Afterwards, she alternated her fingers to cup your cheek tightly.
In her grip, you slowly mumbled, "On my back."
"You're allergic to something. What is it?" She asked again.
"F-Fish.." You stuttered as her nails started to dig into your skin.
"What's your favorite color?"
"G-Green."
"Why?"
"It was th-the first color I saw.."
"... What's your phobia?"
"The o-ocean..."
 
After that, the woman stood there, gawked.
"NO!" She screamed as her nails dug deep enough to make you bleed. As soon as she did, the woman had instantly let go, swinging your face away from her.
 
Although the woman came with Leo, she did not expect this child.
No, unfortunately she had had 2 ex husbands before.
This child, however; was not the one she was hoping for.
This child was the daughter of her first husband, the one she swore she never wanted to remember again.
 
Not to mention, this child was the same beautiful child she pleaded to never let go.
But in the end, she was the one who gave her away.
 
You were too frightened to argue, and you just stood there, gripping onto your bleeding cheek.
"GO AWAY!" The woman suddenly screamed as she broke into tears.
Hesitantly, you backed up and grabbed the door, but the lock wouldn't budge.
"I SAID GET OUT!" She screamed as her voice cracked halfway.
Desperate and afraid, you shifted around and tugged on the lock, but it still wouldn't budge.
"GET OUT!" The woman screamed again, this time, madder than before.
The woman grabbed the lamp, pulling it out of its plug and throwing it against your back.
"WHY WON'T YOU GET OUT?!"
 
The glass found its way through your jacket and into your fragile skin, which was scarred too many times before.
 
Bleeding, in pain, and now screaming in terror, you nearly broke the lock in trying to open the door.
It wouldn't budge at all, and through the wood, you could hear Leo's yells.
 
"OPPA!" You screamed like a little frightened child as she started to kick you, which pushed the pieces of glass and ceramic deeper into your back.
"OPPA!!!" You screeched again as terrified as before.
 
Leo stood there, panicking. The doorknob was too frozen to move. Instantly, Taekwoon sprung into action. Running quickly, he made his way to the back of the house, and before twisting the knob, he breathed onto the cold metal.
Slowly, the ice started to melt at his warm breath. Now thawed, he twisted it and ran into the house. He saw you, cornered up against the door and pulling desperately as the woman beat you up.
 
Why. Why was this always happening? Why can't Leo ever do something that brought happiness?
Perhaps he should stop being so nice, maybe the world would stop torturing you.
Despite seeing the woman, maybe Leo was the one bringing pain in general.
 
He ran toward her, grabbing both of her arms and pulling her away. 
 
"TAEKWOON!" You screamed angrily more than relieved. You buried your face in your palms, crying again.
Not because of the pain, but because you were going to the hospital again.
"You know! Someday they'll just lock me in a room because I'm getting hurt so much!" You screamed, your voice cracked most of the time.
 
Leo kept a firm grip, but his face grew crestfallen.
You were right.
 
While in thoughts, Leo was distracted and did not see the kick coming at him. When it did hit, he let go of her and watched the woman run.
She ran out the backdoor, leaving the door wide open for the coldness to escape into this house.
This house, which was already too cold.
Leo turned to look at you, still sobbing. "You won't go to the hospital." He said quietly.
"So what, you're going to finally let me die now?!" You yelled through your palms. Taekwoon nearly flinched at that thought.
No.
Gently, he bent over and touched your arm.
"I said it was going to be alright." He repeated in his soft tone as before.
 
Quickly, he thought it all out in his mind.
And all of it involved never going to the hospital again.
 
At that moment, Taekwoon prayed to whatever God existed, that someday you'd be happy again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
( Comments appreciated! ^~^ )