Chapter 3

Not Like Ice

Unfortunate Event #3 — Failing the Second Chance.

 

The phone buzzed about a million times until you finally woke up. Rubbing your eyes, you reach over and grab the annoying device. "Hello?" You say sleepily. "Annyeong... It's ah.. Leo." He says so quietly, you had to put your volume up. Then you start remembering what had happened yesterday. The man ran through your mind and you started to get chills. "Ohh annyeong. Is something wrong?" You ask as you sit up on your bed and look out the snow-covered window. Lazily, you walk over and gently touch the glass, leaving a cloud of warmth melting the small sheet of ice on the other side. You look down and see Leo. "Wait wait, are you outside of my house?" You ask as you rub your eyes again. Leo looks up at your window and waves shyly. You laughed and hung up the phone. You slowly got dressed and ran down the stairs to let the poor boy in. "Ahh how long were you waiting out there?" You ask as he walks into your house and shakes off the snowy layer. "Mianhae... I did call..." He says shyly. You look at your phone and see 18 missed calls. You face flushed in embarrassment. "I was so tired from yesterday..." You said embarrassingly. Leo nods in understanding as a slight smile appears on his face. You lead him to the living room and let him warm up. Rushing, you quickly made him hot chocolate and set it on the table before him. After nodding his thanks, he began drinking, and quickly too. "So... why are you at my house?" You ask out of the random. "School was canceled and... it was too far to walk home..." He says in a muffled tone as he kept drinking. "Oooooh.... I sorta knew they were going to cancel it...." You say as you prop your elbow up and lean your chin on your palm. "And... about yesterday..." He starts to say. "I was hoping you wouldn't mention it..." You mumble as he goes on. "I thought about it... I don't think there's anything for you to worry about. The old man can't possibly do anything, right?" He said. You looked down glumly. He didn't know. He didn't understand. Reluctantly, you let your head nod. "I'm missing something, aren't I?" He asked as he leaned back. You couldn't help but pour out what the man had told you. At first, his face was puzzled. But after a silence that lasted minutes, he finally found the courage to say something. "I think he said that only to scare you." He says. You bury your face in your hands and shake no. "You don't get it!" You mumble. "I do, but I think you're just taking this too seriously." He replies. You suddenly felt a cloud of fustration engulf your brain. "You know... I think the snowing stopped..." You start to say. Leo jerks his eyes at you and fears for the worst. "I think it's calm enough to walk home.." You finish. Leo bites his bottom lip and stares at the ground. "I just wanted to hang out..." He says to himself so you couldn't hear. Slowly, you led him to the door. Without any regrets, you slammed the door behind you as you heard him sadly trudge through the snow.
 
[ Sorry if this switches from past to present and back to past tense, I'm too lazy to fix it now xD ]