Chapter 11

Not Like Ice

Unfortunate Event #11 — Saying Goodbye.

 

In the middle of your sleeping, you had caught some sort of infection where the bullet had nearly ran through. The nurses were very shocked, that this developed in your most calm stage. Now they feared that you'd be in much pain when you'd wake up, so they had numbed your chest for a few days. Even in those few days, you didn't move much. All day, you lied there on your bed, hoping Leo would magically appear and take you home. What killed you most was that Leo was found near some park, and they had told you that when they found him, it looked like he was going somewhere. Does that mean he was running away from the massacre? He couldn't just wait and call the police, instead of waiting for them to find him?
Even worse, the numbness started to fade away, and you couldn't even sit up to drink.
The worst fact, was that your father even dared to visit you.
 
"Honey..." A faint voice said as you felt a push on your fragile shoulder. You jerked awake, only to see the face of the devil. "Get away from me!" You yelled weakly as you leaned forward to push him. He backed away before you could touch him, his eyes told you he was really hurt.
"I'm sorry."
"For what, nearly killing me?"
"Yes... that an-"
"Save it. Just leave me alone."
"For poisoning your boyfriend."
"What?!" You nearly yelled.
He looked down, his eyes began to blur. "I... That heart attack wasn't an accident... But hear me out....
He was always trying to help me... No matter how many times I nearly killed him... I finally... I was finally moved... just by his quiet voice and simple words... " He said softly. 
You lied back down, not even bothering to ask what Leo told him. At this moment, you felt alone. Why talk about someone that made you think gloomily?
Was this the feeling Leo had when his parents didn't visit?
 
"He told me to apologize to my daughter..." A quiet voice said. 
"And?" You retorted rudely. "I will do it... I promised him I would... " He replied quietly. In your mind, you were confused, because he already apologized, didn't he?
You squirmed in your bed as you tried to sit up. "Here let m-" He was cut off as you raised your hand in his face, shutting him up. 
"I've got it." You grumbled as you sat in a comfortable position. Afterwards, you looked at him straight in the eye. "How do I know you're not going to become a terrorist or something?" You asked sharply.
"Because I turned myself in..." He replied as he looked down again. 
Your eyes widened as you stared at him in disbelief. "To the police?!" You asked a little loudly. He nodded, and with his hand, he gestured toward the door. You quickly peeked over and saw a few policemen waiting at your door. 
For some reason, you were touched at how he changed so dramatically. Had Leo banged him on the head or something?
"Ok.. I'm going to apologize now." You heard him say. You tilted your head and sat there quietly, showing him that he had your full attention.
"I'm sorry. 
For trying to hurt you.
For killing innocents.
For never thinking before acting.
For being greedy.
For being selfish.
For leaving your mother.
For abandoning you.
For destroying most of your teen life.
For trying to kill Leo... multiple times.
For never listening to you.
For giving you nightmares.
For threatening your fake parents.
I know my apology probably means nothing, and I know you'll probably hate me forever. But I swear I'll change...
I'm sorry for not being a father."
 
After that, he walked into the light of the hallway.
Clicks of handcuffs told you that he really did it.
You heard faint heavy footsteps of the policemen taking him away. 
Suddenly, you had the urge to leap out of your bed.
"APPA ANI WAIT!" You screamed after him as you ran into the hallway, stumbling most of the way. He had already reached the elevator by the time you made it halfway.
"ANI! NOT YET!" You screamed as you tried to make it before the doors closed. 
As the metal doors slowly slid together, your father smiled at you, not like those sly smiles right before he did something terrible, 
but like those smiles that fathers give their children when they tell them everything's going to be alright.
Because afterwards, everything was going to be alright.
Just not with him.
Just not right now.
 
"It's okay. You won't see me anymore." You heard him say to you. 
"Aniya!" You screamed, your feet sliding on the cold floors as you slipped.
The metal doors shut, possibly shutting out his last sight of you.
"I-I just wanted... to hug you..." You said quietly as you looked down.