Grocery Adventures

The Average Course of Friendships

It’s Wednesday and Youngjae’s out grocery shopping with Daehyun.

 

“I’m gonna get some broccoli and spinach for tonight’s dinner, okay? I’ll be back in a second.” Youngjae says before walking away.

 

Surprisingly, Daehyun doesn’t throw a childish tantrum and silently nods his head. That should have been a warning sign but Youngjae’s too focused on vegetables that he ignores it. When the older brunette’s sure Youngjae’s out of view, he grins like a madman and pushes their cart to god knows where. Probably to the food samples in aisle twelve.

 

While he’s walking towards the veggies, Youngjae’s subconscious is screaming for him to stop and go back to Daehyun because knowing that , he’s bound to do something stupid that’s going to get them banned from their sixth grocery store that month.

 

First it was Lee’s, then Im’s Bakery, you know, just the local joints. But then, Daehyun started getting adventurous (without Youngjae’s consent) and thought that it was some mighty fine idea to go wreck havoc in all the grocery stores near their shared apartment (Daehyun’s way too lazy to go more than a mile within their vicinity). Youngjae didn’t know about Daehyun’s nightly expeditions and expulsion from most of the major stores like Sanzi and Hiron’s Grocery so when he brought Daehyun along with him for their weekly shopping trip, he was treated like a criminal and tossed out (quite literally) before reaching past the second pair of sliding doors. He was confused and pretty pissed and was about to go give the manager a piece of his mind when he overheard the security guards conversing. Apparently, any friends of Jung Daehyun were strictly prohibited from entering the premises in the fear that they were all gluttons who caused pandemonium by simply strolling down aisles.

 

The moment he found out that the situation was all Daehyun’s fault, Youngjae’s super saiyan mode kicked in and it took Yongguk, Yongguk’s boyfriend (his name’s Himchan and he’s somewhat important, but he comes in later), Yongnam, and Junhong to keep Youngjae from beating the and accidentally murdering Daehyun. Thanks to the Fantastic Four, the only casualty Daehyun suffered was a bruise on his shoulder that wasn’t even caused by Youngjae. However, in his haste to run like hell away from assassin Jae, he crashed into the door and broke a flower pot. Youngjae’s flower pot, to be specific. Which only pissed the younger off to the point where Daehyun couldn’t go back to the apartment for a few days.

 

It’s been a while after that incident and Youngjae’s forgiven him. He even trusts Daehyun enough to let him accompany him on their grocery outings. Soup cans pass him by as he’s treading to his destination, and Youngjae knows he really should go back. He’s about to do it too but then a super low price of 2,000 won catches his eye and he decides that grabbing tonight’s dinner is way more important than babysitting his nineteen-year-old best friend/roommate. He picks up the baby spinach and brocolletes, takes boxes of cherry tomatoes and cookies for when Junhong comes to visit, grabs some cream of mushroom, and snatches a  jar of peanut butter for Kimchi before spinning around to head back the same way he ventured.

 

When Youngjae finds Daehyun (his pufferfish lips are hard to miss, Youngjae thinks), the cart’s filled with sugary cereal (there’s at least ten different kinds in there), several mini donut boxes, a bunch of generic cinnamon bread, and about twenty bags of Hershey’s kisses.

 

Mentally, he ticks off the second reason on his ‘Reasons I Hate The Guts of That Damned Jung Daehyun’ list: Daehyun’s a human black hole who has no shame whatsoever when it comes to food.

 

He’s still gawking at the unhealthy pile of junk and Youngjae swears that one day, Daehyun’s going to drop dead out of nowhere from heart disease, diabetes, and probably even some liver and kidney problems too and Youngjae’s just going to tell him ‘I told you so’.


 

The elder laughs, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly with a store employee standing next to him.

 

“Sir, are you sure about all of this?”

 

Youngjae jogs over and purposely bumps (very roughly, for that matter) shoulders with the idiot and apologizes to the employee. The brunette winds up crashing the opposite direction and Youngjae concludes that he’s not going to care about his best friend until he dumps all the junk back where he snagged it from.

 

“Yes, we’ll put it all back. Sorry about that.”

 

The employee smiles (his name’s Jongup) and tells Youngjae it’s ok and that his friend seems real funny. Real funny, my Youngjae thinks but laughs and nods anyway as he bids the store employee goodbye. Once the kid’s out of sight, Youngjae sighs to himself. The boy’s way too nice for his own good, Youngjae believes, and he makes a mental note to send the poor guy a gift card or something for not kicking them out. Daehyun finally crawls back to the cart and still has the nerve to smile like an angel.

 

The younger pauses and squints at the ceiling for a second and Daehyun wonders what he’s doing way over there.

 

“God forgive me for I have sinned but I think this whole situation is justified.”

 

Youngjae turns to the cart to grab one of the cereal boxes and delivers a solid hit to the back of Daehyun’s head.

 

“!”

 

“You’re putting all this back.”

 

Daehyun’s nursing his head and Youngjae’s pointing to all of the different things (he refuses to call this mountain of unhealthy, high calorie stuff food) in their metal trolley.

 

“ I don’t even remember where I got it all!”

 

“You should’ve thought of that before you started this dumbery!”

 

The older pouts and mutters out a faint ‘fine’ which Youngjae deems is good enough for him.

 

That is, until, Daehyun shouts out “YOLO, es!” and rampages the whole store all over again.

 

 

 


failhumor xD LOL. sorry if spacing is weird...googledocs..
anyway, this is dedicated to my jagi, blueberry_muffin. I loves you, Gine. <3
Hope you enjoyed this idiocy. Thank you so much for subbing!
Love, Jelly <3