o5

The Lost Heart

Chapter Five


"Okay, what do you want, I don't have all day." Hayi was somewhat pissed, her day had started out amazingly only to be ruined by an overly jumpy Junhong. She didn't quite appreciate being pulled away from her early morning chores.

 

"Tch, someone didn't sleep properly eh?" He whispered under his breath, it somehow hurt him how Hayi's attitude changed so much when she was talking to him. She was usually docile and respectful, cute even, but when she spoke to Junhong, merely hear his name and she would completely change. It was like someone would possess her each time. "Can't you at least ask what's wrong?" he mumbled. Lately he had begun to crave attention, especially from the opposite gender. Blame it on the hormones.

 

Hayi just stared at Junhong, her expression blank like every other time. Even though she was expressionless you could tell she was running out of patience, she was usually better than this, way better. There was something about Junhong that made her this way, she may quarrel with him but at the end she would have this sense of relief. Like she was taking out her pent up stress and letting it out on him, not a healthy behavior but it had to happen. It was only with him that she would show her worst most ugly side, something rare to experience first hand.

 

"The basketball club needs a new manager."

 

***

 

They were now in Math class, fourth period. Junhong was asleep, like always... or so Hayi thought. As soon as the bell rang signaling lunch, Junhong sprang up from his seat and stood beside Hayi, "The basketball club needs a new manager." and with that he took off.

 

"What was that?" Jimin questioned Hayi giving her a wonderous look, "Could it be..." She paused and looked around the room making sure no one could hear, "he likes you?" She grinned, earning an exasperated sigh from Hayi.

 

"The basketball club needs a new manager, that's what." Hayi retorted and stalked off into the lunch room.

 

"Then do it!" Jimin retorted, running to catch up to Hayi, "If you don't then someone might steal your man." she grinned. Jimin was always daring Hayi to emerge from her unsociable cocoon and mingle with others which always ended in disaster.

 

"How about no." Hayi rolled her eyes, "Come on, if we don't hurry they'll run out of curry."

 

***

"Hello Everyone! Please behave and welcome our new manager, Lee Hayi." The eyes of the boys stared at her in awe, some smiled at her and others winked. What a bunch of hormonal teenagers. Near the back Hayi could make out a red face that belonged to Junhong, his friends teasing and nudging him about something the girl couldn't quite make out. "Okay everyone, back to practice!" She wasn't quite sure as to why she came to the gym after school, or why she talked to the coach and said she was here for the manager position. Maybe it was on impulse, or something else that she couldn't quite place her finger onto.  On the other hand Junhong was more energized than ever, his sudden burst of energy didn't go unnoticed for long though as one of his team mates began to and ask where the sudden energy came from.

"Uh what do you mean?" He played dumb, stealing a glance at Hayi who was now intently listening to instructions from the coach. He never imagined that she would come, that she would take time out of her day and do something he had requested. He felt giddy and bubbly, a small sense of success creeping onto him although the feeling quickly subsided as a smug looking guy approached Hayi from the back and gave her a hug, she turned and smiled at the taller boy earning herself another hug before he let go. The blonde stood there, staring at the scene unfolding in front of him. Something hurt deep in him, like a pang of some sort, but he wasn't quite sure as to why it only happened when Hayi was involved in some way. When he saw her come in and being introduced as their manager he felt the pain but it was a sweet pain, like the pain you get after exercising for a long time, he enjoyed it. Now the pain was different, he ached and hurt in ways pain killers wouldn't help. "Heya coach," he stammered, still not feeling too well. "I think i need to call it a day." Luckily the coach sensed something truly was wrong with the usually lively young man, he nodded an alright and let him go change. As he passed Hayi he sent her a nod as to indicate thanks of some sort. 

***

Hayi walked home tired yet content with herself, she didn't always help out and enjoy it, so this was a rare occasion. Who would've thought basketball was so interesting, ranging from the warm ups to meeting the actual players. Although they were a bit rowdy they were very welcoming and nice. What puzzled her the most was the fact that Junhong, the one who asked her to join and help out hadn't been present throughout the whole time. What truly was going on with that guy, one moment he's all up on her face, asking for weird things, the next he doesn't even spare her a glance, leaving her feeling neglected. As if he no longer needed her and she hated that, she hated the way he was stringing her along. Regardless the day ended with no major problems and she was thankful for that, tomorrow though she'll have to question Junhong as to why he ditched when he was the one asking for the favor. 

***

Where as Hayi laid and rested with a clear mind, a certain young man couldn't help but question his motives for wanting to have Hayi close to himself. Was it purely out of hormonal impulses or was there something else, something perhaps more delicate. Something everyone dreams of having, that one emotion that makes us do crazy things.  That little something called love...

No way right?

 


I apologize for the delay in updating this, I promise things will start to get a bit more interesting in the chapters to come.
thank you for reading, comments are always appreciated, I hope you have a lovely week
 ❤️