↪ [luhan] reason

insseonity // a collection {UNDER CONSTRUCTION}

Reason

Luhan was just a kid when he lost his whole family. He didn’t deserve it. He joined the Air Force at such a young age. He realized that there is no point in living anymore. He had no reason to do so. He dedicated his life for his country, its government, and the state. Patriotism and nationalism ran in his veins. He was only 18 when he was known as Lieutenant Lu.

It was in 1950 when the Korean War broke out. He came in North Korea with a fellow soldier, Yixing, who is from a neighbouring town. They were under the command of Captain Wu. He was a good soldier, one of China’s finest aviators.

They say love is magical and that it is capable of changing your views in life. Luhan doesn’t believe that principle ever since the day his life turned upside down. He has been living in that principle for a decade now. His heart has been walled in a thick layer of ice for more than half on his age, until he met her.

It was one dark evening. Luhan was still awake, getting ready for the training of the new recruits on the morrow. Just then, he found a group of officers walk out of their tents. He found familiar faces from the crowd—including his commandant.

Yifan waved at him, at the same time, the others were climbing up their respective aircrafts. “Join us, Luhan!” Yifan said in their native language.

“Where are you guys going?” Luhan asked.

“You’ll see.” Yifan said and pulled Luhan with him, to his own aircraft.

There were six of them, travelling in three aircrafts. He recognized someone named Chanyeol along with his best friend Baekhyun in one of the aircrafts, in the other was some guy named Jongin with Sehun, the one with the lisp. Luhan climbed the back seat in Yifan’s aircraft.

They were flying at such an immeasurable speed; the Captain was doing all sorts of exhibitions. Their laughter could be heard over the noisy rev of the machine. Suddenly, they heard an explosion. “What the !” Yifan cursed. Luhan saw Chanyeol’s aircraft was smoking—they were landing.

“What the hell happened?!” Luhan shouted over the noise.

“I think someone is playing with us.” Yifan shouted back. “We’ll have to land. But it is not going to be a good landing!”

“Be careful!” Luhan held on tight. The Captain was a skilled pilot. He was descending at a fast rate. Everything was safe until someone fired at them. The engine roared, and Luhan felt that they are not going to land in one piece. Luhan’s world was spinning, until they came to a crash with the ground.


He heard a soft melodic voice humming to a familiar rhythm. Then he felt someone dabbing a damp cloth on his forehead. He groaned when he felt his body sore. The humming of the voice stopped. He opened his eyes carefully; his vision burred, slowly clearing to a face of the girl.

“Yo! Luhan! You’re awake!” he heard Yifan’s voice speak their native language. Luhan looked back to the girl who stopped wiping the damp cloth on him. “Get ready, the others are here.” Yifan said before leaving the room.

He nodded at his commandant and turned back to the girl. He watched her warily as she busies herself by folding clothes at the foot of the bed.

“Where are my clothes?” Luhan asked. The girl looked at him, but it doesn’t seem that she understood him. She stared at him blankly as he tried to act out by letting his hands travel around his body. He silently muttered at curse at himself for not knowing much Korean vocabulary.

Luhan stopped moving as the girl suddenly burst into laughter. Luhan was taken aback at first but he found the girl cute. He smiled to himself, and scratched the back of his head.

The girl brought her hand up to to stop herself from laughing. Then she walked to the folded clothes that sat peacefully at a stool near the bed. She took the clothes gingerly, and hand them to Luhan. She smiled at him in the process. Luhan was dazed at the girl. She gave him space and turned around as she went over to her previous business.

There was awkwardness that hung in the air. Luhan dressed himself promptly. He cleared his throat when he’s done. The girl turned around and prepared to leave. The girl bowed at him, which he returned, until he realized something.

“Wait!” Luhan said in Chinese.

The girl looked at him, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

Luhan didn’t know what to say, rather, how to express himself in the Korean language. He looked around, and found a sunflower in a vase. He took it, and brought it up.

“Beautiful,” Luhan referred to the flower, and he brought it up to her face, as if comparing them. He wished she understood what he meant. “Beautiful.”

The girl took the flower, and laughed as she did so. Luhan was pleased with the merriment that the girl had brought about. “Kamsahamnida!” The girl said, and showed him a smile that he could never forget, before completely leaving him. He understood that the girl said that she’s thankful.

He was smiling to himself like an idiot when Yifan came in.

“Oh? What happened to you?” he asked.

Luhan shrugged, still not looking to his friend, but staring at the figure that was walking away from them. Yifan followed his line of sight and found it. He could not disagree with him. “Don’t tell me you’re falling in love, huh?” Yifan smirked at him. Luhan was usually the uninterested one when they talked about girls.

“Who was that?”

“Probably a e, like all the other girls in here.” Luhan looked at Yifan. “She did your bandage across your arm.” He pointed out. Luhan then only realized that his arms hurt so badly. His winced in pain as Yifan patted his arm, before leaving him again.


As soon as he recovered, Yifan gave him instructions on how to get back to the inn where they stayed. He also gave him a dictionary in case that he would get short on words. When he got in the place, he was directed to the owner of the inn. He managed to get a proper conversation with the owner, and he was glad that when he learned that she is not a e and that she lives nearby. He said his thanks to the owner and bid his goodbyes.

It took him a while to find where the girl lives. Everywhere he went, the locals would be looking at him as he was asking for directions. The sun was already on its peak when he found where she lives.

Outside, a boy and a girl were running after each other. Large white blankets and other clothing were hanged outside. Meanwhile, he noticed a short slim figure that came from the house and started gathering the dried pieces of clothing.

The two children noticed the man in uniform and gathered around him. The children were thrilled to see such handsome soldier for the first time. Most of the time, they are afraid of the soldiers that raid their whereabouts. Luhan has the kindest face they ever saw. The laughter of the kids was enough to get the girl’s attention. She quickly ran to the kids and was surprised to see the young man.


Her name is Lee Soonkyu. But she preferred being called Sunny. She was glad to meet the handsome young man. When she learned of his intentions, she tried to push him away. But he came back, every morning of every day.

She just came back from the market to buy the food for her and her siblings when she found the little kids playing with the Chinese soldier. The kids ran to their oldest sister when they saw her. Luhan stood up, raising his hands in the air, when Sunny glared at him.

Luhan never thought he could fall in love. He had heard many stories about it, and he swore to himself that he will never fall in love. But he did. And for once, he was thankful that he was alive. Luhan followed the trail made by the children, following Sunny. But before he could enter their house, Sunny brought her hand to his face.

“No entry.” Sunny said sternly in Korean, which Luhan understood because of the certain limitations in the air base itself, as if she was an officer herself. Luhan stood in attention, which soften Sunny’s expression, and gave him a smile.

Luhan was more than eager to wait there all day, not caring if he would get punished later on. After ten minutes of waiting, his back now leaning on the open door, Sunny’s sister, Jinkyu, approached him. He knelt down to meet the girl’s height.

“Oppa! Do you like unnie?” the little girl asked, smiling at him. Luhan understood her; after all, he went through the personal dictionary of his commandant. He took it out, and looked for the common phrases section of the pocketbook.

“Your unnie is the most beautiful.” Luhan said, which made the girl giggle. After that, she ran to the kitchen, where Luhan could hear Sunny and her little brother.

Luhan decided to sit down the steps in their porch, and waited. After thirty more minutes, Luhan’s stomach was grumbling, since he could hear them already preparing the table for lunch, and he could smell the soup that she had been preparing.

He heard small running footsteps to him. This time, it was her little brother, Eunkyu. He smiled at him, and took his hand. He boy held tight onto Luhan’s hand, as he drag him up the stairs, inside the house, and into the dining room.

He watched them sit on their respective places. Sunny motioned him to sit beside her. They waited for him to be seated before they prayed together. Luhan stayed silent as they prayed. When he lost his family, his faith had gone with them, too.

Sunny let her siblings get food before she get for herself, and she offered the mushroom soup to Luhan. “Please do eat your full.” Sunny said fluently in Chinese, which surprised Luhan a lot.

“You speak Chinese?” Luhan asked, and Sunny nodded before she took a spoonful of her soup. Luhan smiled to himself, and he ate his food. After eating, he volunteered to wash the dishes as Sunny put her siblings to sleep.

They were chatting as they walked to the open land, where Luhan’s aircraft was situated. As time passes more between them, Luhan could only love her.

“Since when do you speak Chinese?” He brought up.

“I was born with it, I guess.” Sunny said briefly. Luhan would feel happier if she would open up with him, even for a little bit.

“You don’t really want me to court you, do you?”

“You will not like me. You are not supposed to like me.” Sunny said, looking down.

“Give me one good reason not to like you.”

“Ours is a family of soldiers.” Sunny said, looking at him straight in his eyes.

“I am a soldier. And I think that is noble.” Luhan said proudly, smiling at her, who only looked more aggravated. She shook her head, and smiled unknowingly.

“I am not in favour of communism.” She said,

“You support the South?” Luhan asked. Sunny had found interest in the grass once again. She counted up to three seconds and looked at him again, smiled, and just shook her head.

“Sunny, this is the first time I felt something. And I never lied to my feelings.” Luhan said. The aircraft was now within eye’s reach. They stayed silent until the aircraft was just a few meters away from them.

“I wanted this war to stop now, Luhan. Perhaps, if this war had never happened, then maybe, we can be.” Sunny said, tears are forming in her eyes. “The thing is, I like you. A lot.” Sunny said in Korean, smiling bitterly at him.

Luhan didn’t know what to do. It was his first time to see a girl cry in front of him. He brought out a handkerchief from his pockets, and gave it to her. Sunny took it, and wiped her tears. “You’re wrong, Sunny.” Luhan said. Sunny looked up at him. He continued, “If this war never happened, then we will never meet. We cannot be.”

Sunny remained silent.

“If you are worrying about me being Chinese—”

“I don’t want you to die, Luhan-sshi.” Sunny spoke in Korean.

It was Sunny’s turn to be surprised when Luhan pulled her into a tight hug. He whispered into her ears, “Don’t worry about it.” Luhan kissed the top of her head, before breaking the embrace.


“What’s this?” Sunny asked, noticing the bruise on his forearm. She grabbed his arm and looked closely.

“You don’t have to worry about it.” Luhan took his hand back, and continued carving on the bark of the tree. They are under a tree in the more isolated part of the neighbourhood.

“You’re risking too much for me.” Sunny said as she took a bite on her tamarind before letting Luhan bite on it. When he was done, he looked at her, smiling.

“What are you smiling about?” she scowled, and she looked at what’s carved on the tree. Luhan’s name in Chinese characters and beside it was her name in Korean characters. “You’ve been studying Korean?”

“Is it right?” Luhan asked. She nodded. “Let’s go.” Luhan suddenly grabbed her hand.

“Where are we going?” Sunny asked, but she got no response. Instead, they ran to Luhan’s aircraft and suddenly, she was sitting behind Luhan who was flying the machine in the air.

“Are you happy?!” Luhan shouted over the noise. Sunny was more than happy. She never felt so free in her life. She felt the wind in her face, effortlessly sending her hair further at the back. She stretched her arms outward, and felt the wind dangling in between her fingers. “Whoo!” She screamed at the top of her lungs as they surged downward steeply, adrenaline running through her veins.

They climbed down the aircraft laughing together, hands clasped together. They are still high from the adrenaline. Sunny felt her world spinning but it felt good in a way. They fell to the grass together and continued laughing. They stopped laughing once they had settled down. They are staring at the sky under the wings of the aircraft.

“You didn’t answer my question.” Luhan said as he breathed out, leaning on his arms.

Sunny sat up, and hovered on top of him, blocking the sun from his face. “I love you, Luhan.” She said. She leaned in, closing their distances to almost nothing. Luhan closed his eyes, about to press his lips unto hers, but she was already standing up. Luhan watched her waning back.

“I love you more!” He shouted. Sunny turned around for a moment, only to smile at him, and continued walking away.


A rumour came from the locals that there will be an attack on the dawn. Everyone was distressed when the anticipated attack didn’t come. The officers decided to let the men rest for a while. However, there was an attack when they are taking their rest, just before it was noon.

They were flying in a V formation. Luhan and his fellowmen revved their engines and flew up to their positions. Chanyeol was leading the flight. Baekhyun was on his right side, and Jongin and Sehun at the back. They were against three, but the enemy had larger ones.

Chanyeol was against the leader of the flight, Baekhyun backing him up. Luhan was ready to aim at one of the enemies, unfortunately, his machine gun jammed. For a moment, he saw his life flash before him, getting ready to be killed. However, the enemy flew to his side, and saluted at him, completely sparing him before retreating with the flight.

The General was not pleased with whoever spread the rumours about the attack of the South. They assembled a raid within the area. Luhan was talking with some of the officers about his near death experience inside the jeep when they entered a familiar route. He swallowed a lump of saliva as two men entered a small family house where Sunny and her siblings lived.

He felt his stomach curled into fists. What is taking them too long? Luhan asked mentally, until he saw the kids being carried by men, crying. He ran inside, and found a friend of his pointing a pistol at the native.

“No!” Luhan ran, and took Sunny behind his back. Yifan was just as surprised as the girl was.

“Get back, Luhan.” Yifan warned, his stand unshaken.

Sunny’s trembling hands found its way around his body. “L-Luhan-sshi… K-Ka-Kaji-m-ma,” she stuttered. Luhan put his hand on top of hers, gave it a light squeeze, to ensure her safety.

“She’s innocent.” Luhan told him in their language. Yifan didn’t lower his gun at all. Yifan looked disgustingly at Sunny, who was still shaking around Luhan.

“What is going on in here?” General Kim arrived, eyeing the two men and the girl behind one. “Captain Wu?” Yifan hesitantly lowered his gun. Luhan felt Sunny’s grip loosen but she was still clutching on his clothes. Yifan and Luhan saluted at the officer, and stood at attention.

“Sir, this girl was found with letters from South forces, all in Korean. I believe that she is an undercover. She was addressed here as Lieutenant Lee, and among others, I find that she is capable of killing, too.” Yifan promptly said.

Luhan could not believe what he is hearing. He broke free from Sunny’s grip and looked at the letters. He could not understand what was written on it, but he had a bad feeling that they are not lying. They had no reason either. Luhan looked back at Sunny, her eyes filled with tears. She was shaking; she brought her thumb to , and gnashed at her nails.

“Take her in.” General Kim said, and then men walked in.

Sunny ran back to Luhan, who was still stunned. “Luhan-sshi. Jinkyu and Eunkyu. Keep them safe. They’ve got nothing to do with this.” Sunny pleaded, before she was dragged by the men.

Yifan put a hand on Luhan’s shoulders.


10… 9… 8… 7… 6… Sunny held her breath for as long as she could. 5… 4… 3… 2… 1… She gasped for air as the soldier pulled her up again. Captain Wu looked deep into her eyes. She was a strong heck of a woman.

“I am trying to be nice to you, Ma’am. Just tell us everything you know, and we will release you.” He said, almost whispered to her, but she knows well. Who’s kidding her? She knows that she will end up as a prisoner after she said a word. However, what is there to say? Yifan continued, there is power in his voice, “When is the next attack?! Who is sending you these letters?!”

“I don’t know!” Sunny looked him in the eye as she growled at the officer’s face, and prepared herself for another dip in the cold water.

“Send Lt. Lu in.” General Kim ordered, convinced that the girl will not say anything. He would not want to torture her that badly, not yet. Things were just getting interesting.


It was evening when Luhan was allowed to visit her in a prison cell. She was curled into a ball in the bed when he found her. He ran to her side. He her hair gently, and then he cupped her face, and she turned her head to face him. Her eyes were red in tears.

“Are they safe?” she broke the silence, inquiring about her siblings.

“Yes. They are under Ms Kim’s care.” Luhan sat on the bed.

“Thank you.” Sunny said almost inaudibly. She was just tired after all the torture and interrogation she received from the captain.

 

 “Everything you told me. Are they all lies?” Luhan asked.

“I never lie to you.”

 

 “Who are you, really?”

 

“I told you my name. Lee Soonkyu. I preferred being called Sunny. As I told you, we were a family of soldiers. I am one. My parents died fighting for our country, and so will I. I was born for a bad cause. And that is to end lives. I told you my political preferences. I told you that I wanted this war to end, because we are supposed to be rivals. Because I love you.”

Sunny already had tears in her eyes, and they all fell when Luhan leaned in to kiss her. Their lips met in a hot, passionate exchange of catalyst. Luhan kissed her ravenously, his hands settled around her waist. Their tongues collided in a fiery battle, neither one is willing to surrender.


Sunny was proved to be innocent after a series of interrogations and cruelties. However, the officers will not let her go away, not when they are still benefiting from the letters that was sent to her. All the letters correlate with the attacks that they had received. They let her stay at her house, however, she will be guarded 24/7. One letter came, saying that she must report back to the headquarters immediately because a major trench war is going to be launched at the 38th Parallel.

“Yifan, you have to do something. She must get back.” Luhan told his friend.

“The General wouldn’t allow it.”

“As a friend, I’m begging you.”

 

“I am not going to leave you.” Sunny said; her voice full of conviction.

“No! Listen to me! You will go with Yifan to the border. He will you there. I will get Eunkyu and Jinkyu to meet you on the way. You have to go.”

“No. No. I will not leave this place without you.”

“I cannot leave this place, Sunny. You know that. You have your own duty, and I have mine. I am not sending you away because you’re an enemy. I want you to go because you wanted peace. Once the war has settled, there will never be peace in this place, Sunny. Trust me. You have to go.”

Luhan enclosed Sunny in a tight hug, who cried on his chest.

“Promise me you’ll look for me. After the war, meet me.”

“I promise.”


“You should stop here, Yifan-sshi. They will arrest you.” Sunny told him in Korean. Her siblings holding on to both of her hands.

“Luhan wanted me to make sure that you cross the border safely.” Yifan said in his fluent Korean.

Sunny nodded. “Stay away from this point onwards. You must not be seen.”

“I wish you good luck.” Yifan said, nodding.

He watched Sunny’s figure cross the border where there were no Northern guard at post. A Southern guard stood at attention and saluted to Sunny after he checked her papers. They were able to cross the border safely.

At the same time, he heard the familiar sound of a flight. It was so familiar that he did not need to look to know that they are going to drop bombs over Seoul. Unknowingly, a tear formed in his eye as he recalled how happy Sunny’s siblings were. They were so full of hopes and dreams.

As he went his way back to their base, he recalled how much Luhan loved the girl. He used to kill heartlessly. He did not care about his life; he did not even care if he’ll die during the mission. But that was the past. Before he left the base, Luhan’s eyes were full of vigour and power. Love has changed him. He had no reason to live, until she came along. He has every reason to live.

He was nearing the base when he heard the flight. He looked up, and found three aircrafts in the air. Yifan’s heart pounded furiously, as he muttered a silent prayer—more likely a wish—that Luhan doesn’t belong to the flight.

 

author's note
i hope you liked it! e u e eue
next: sunny & xiumin