Chapter 6

Locker Room Love

 

Sehun walked slowly into the locker room, measuring his every step. He looked down at the white tiled floor as he wandered toward his locker.

WHAM!

Sehun slammed right into Luhan’s bare chest and his captain friend burst out laughing at the collision. Luhan had a towel wrapped around his waist, to Sehun’s relief.

“Er-S-s-sorry.” Sehun stammered, his cheeks growing hot with an embarrassed blush.

“It’s fine. Were you utterly absorbed in looking at your new cleats? You looked pretty adamant about keeping your eyes glued to the floor.” Luhan accused, a playful look in his eye.

“Um, I mean…” Sehun muttered, trying to find the words to make up an excuse.

“Don’t worry, I get it. My first time in the locker room, I didn’t really know where to look either. There’s no exact guidelines but essentially, most guys stick to the ‘keep your eyes on your own’ rule.” Luhan explained, clapping his hand on Sehun’s back before continuing onto the showers.

Sehun began to sweat nervously and he was frozen to the spot. A guy gave him an odd look and that’s what triggered his flighty escape. He ran toward his locker and quickly collected his things, running out of the locker room, sweating ridiculously.

Kyungsoo was waiting for Sehun, his head turning to the side at how fast he had been.

“Either you take quick showers, or that stuff I hope is water, is your sweat.” Kyungsoo commented, his nose crinkling as Sehun's smell answered his question for him.

“I don’t want to talk about it. Let’s go. I need to shower before I pass out because of my own stink.” Sehun snapped, stalking off toward the dorms.

Kyungsoo shrugged before prancing off behind his friend, like a puppy following his owner.

Minji had seen the entire exchange between the two odd friends and when Luhan finally emerged from the locker room, she said, “Sehun made quite the exit, didn’t he?”

Luhan furrowed his brow, realizing he hadn’t seen his new friend leave the room after he had talked to him.

“I didn’t even notice…” Luhan answered, feeling a bit guilty for some reason.

“He seemed pretty flustered about something. Did you guys do something to him?” Minji wondered, arching an eyebrow suspiciously.

“I don’t think so. I mean, he ran into me and I told him about the ‘keep your eyes on your own’ rule and then I walked away. I was just trying to mess with him.” Luhan explained, replaying the conversation in his mind. He remembered seeing a bit of an embarrassed look on Sehun’s face but he figured that it meant nothing. What was Minji trying to insinuate?

“I guess he just can’t handle changing in front of other guys. I told you he was weird!” Minji joked but it just made Luhan scowl.

“Oh, come off it, Luhan, I was only kidding.” She tried to explain, but Luhan just shook his head and left her behind.

Later…

“Thank God, I smell like a new man.” Sehun sighed, walking into the dorm room after he took a long shower.

Kyungsoo looked up from his music score, chewing madly on a piece of gum. When he needed inspiration, he was smacking away on gum. It was annoying at first but Sehun had gotten used to it. Sehun noticed the unopened Crunky bar on the bed next to his friend, and he smiled. Kai had taken his advice.

Sehun walked toward the bed and snatched the Crunky bar away. Kyungsoo threw down his score and began to scramble after his stolen chocolate. He wasn’t giving it up without a fight.

“SEHUN, GET BACK HERE!” Kyunsoo cried as if it were a war battle.

Sehun cackled and jumped up onto his own bed, waving the candy bar above his head triumphantly. Kyungsoo scrambled up onto the bed, clawing at Sehun with all his might. Sehun double bounced him off the bed and Kyungsoo flew across the room.

“Oh my god! Are you okay?” Sehun asked, running over to his friend.

Kyungsoo began to openly cry and Sehun felt so awful for teasing his friend. He bent over to comfort him, reaching gently down to help him out when Kyungsoo stuck out his tongue and grabbed the Crunky from Sehun’s grasp. Kyungsoo ran across the room, diving behind his bed for cover.

“Oh, you faker!” Sehun accused, frustration rising in him at being duped by his friend.

“You’re the daft one who fell for the oldest trick in the book!” Kyungsoo barked back, sticking his head out from his hiding spot.

“So, who gave that to you?” Sehun wondered, pretending to not know an inkling.

Kyungsoo hesitated a moment, climbing up onto his bed, deeming the situation as safe. “Just some guy at your practice. His name is Kai.” He explained, looking down at the his treasure of a chocolate bar.

Sehun smiled, satisfied. Kai had definitely caught Kyungsoo’s attention, he was proud to be a helper in that. Kyungsoo really needed to learn how to branch out on his own. A friendship with Kai would be the perfect way to do so.

“You took candy from a stranger? Isn’t there some rule against that?”Sehun teased, settling down on his own bed.

Kyungsoo looked up at him with panic in his eyes. He hadn’t even thought about it that way! What if the popular people were trying to use the candy bar to poison him? An innocent music geek?!?

“Kyungie, you need to know that I’m kidding. Kai is a cool guy, he was just trying to be nice.” Sehun backpedaled, realizing that his friend had taken him quite seriously. He had forgotten that Kyungsoo didn’t understand sarcasm.

Kyungsoo sighed in relief, unwrapping the chocolate bar with delight. He munched on it happily, suddenly reminded of the moment when Kai and his fingers had brushed against each other’s. The memory made him smile fondly.

When he was done, he exclaimed, “I think that I might want Kai to be my friend.”

“That’s great, Kyungsoo! Maybe you can even cheer for him too at practice.” Sehun suggested, hoping that Kyungsoo’s attention could be shared between them, instead of just being focused on him.

“Totally! I’ll make him a sign!” Kyungsoo answered enthusiastically, running to the closet and grabbing a poster board. He quickly bounded back to his bed and went hard to work.

Sehun smiled at his innocent friend. Being invested in the whole thing with Kyungsoo had distracted him from the earlier awkwardness with Luhan. Sehun felt his cheeks grow hot as he remembered it. He fell back onto the bed, chastising himself from fleeing. He should have been able to contain himself and yet, he had let his feelings toward Luhan get in the way. What the hell was going on for him? It was all so confusing…

Sehun's phone began to buzz, but he ignored it until Kyungsoo chimed, “Your phone, Sehun!”

“Thanks, Kyungie.” Sehun responded, rolling his eyes.

He grabbed his phone and flipped it open. Luhan’s name appeared on the screen, signaling a text from him had arrived. It read:

I heard from someone that you left pretty fast from the locker room. I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable. I was just joking around. Maybe we can pretend that it never happened?