Chapter 2

Locker Room Love

 

The drills had been tedious but manageable enough for Sehun to keep up with. Xiumin wasn’t going to make it easy for anyone and Luhan even seemed adequately challenged by them. He even had a layer of glistening sweat that made his fringe stick to his forehead; the look made Luhan seem much, much more human to Sehun. Luhan wasn’t so perfect after all.

“He’s sure giving us a run for our money.” Luhan stated, wiping his sweaty brow with the back of his hand.

“Is he? I don’t really have anything to compare it to…” Sehun admitted, stretching out his hamstring as they waited in line for their turn.

“You’re doing really well for being so new at this. I’ll put in a good word for you after the try-out. This is totally embarrassing but, what’s your name?” Luhan asked, feeling guilty about his ignorance.

Sehun blushed, realizing just how invisible he really was at the school. Luhan looked like he felt sort of bad though so he answered, “Sehun. I’m Oh Sehun.”

Luhan smiled. “All right, Sehunnie, it’s nice to meet you. I’m Luhan.” He introduced himself, putting his hand out for Sehun to shake. Nobody at school ever called him ‘Sehunnie’, he sort of liked it.

“As if I don’t know who you are.” Sehun blurted, taking Luhan’s hand. He wanted to claw his own eyes out after he registered what had just passed through his lips.

But instead of the awkward silence that he had expected, Luhan began to laugh. “I guess my legacy proceeds me.” He joked, his eyes beaming warmly at Sehun.

“Well, you are ‘popular’, so yah know…” Sehun added, rolling his eyes for effect.

“Cheeky, aren’t you?” Luhan accused playfully, giving Sehun a poke in the ribs.

“Always.” Sehun retorted, a wicked smile spreading across his face. He loved the banter that he and Luhan were exchanging. It felt natural and dare Sehun think it, it was the closest thing to flirting that he had ever encountered.

“Oi! Luhan! I’m glad you’re making friends with the new kid but you’ve got a show to put on, let’s go.” Xiumin yelled at them from across the field.

Sehun resented Xiumin for interrupting them but he also appreciated the label that the coach had put on the exchange: friends. Luhan and he were becoming friends. If Sehun had known how easy and fun it was to do so, he would’ve make it a regular practice long before now.

“Catch yah later, duty calls!” Luhan said, winking at Sehun.

Sehun wanted to do a happy dance but he refrained because clearly that would just make everybody uncomfortable. But, he had a new friend in 'the' Luhan.


 

Later…


 

The rest of the try out flew by and by the end of it Sehun was exhausted both mentally and physically. He practically collapsed at Xiumin’s feet as he made the closing announcements.

“You guys did well today. You fought harder than I thought you could. That drive is what will take us to the finals!” Xiumin explained. Several cheers sounded from the remaining participants.

“Some of you showed me that you do, indeed, still have what it takes.” Xiumin continued, glancing over at Luhan, who smiled triumphantly.

“And some of you new guys have some great potential.” Xiumin complimented, turning his attention to Sehun (who had to stop himself from blushing because of the attention).

Sehun caught Luhan’s gaze and the captain gave him a supportive thumbs up.

“The list will be up on Monday. Thank you all for coming out and sticking with my madness!” Xiumin dismissed them, a small smile appearing on his face. From Luhan’s reaction, Sehun deduced that it was a probably a rare occurrence for Xiumin to look so positive. He took a mental snapshot.

Sehun walked slowly to the bleachers to collect his things, sweat dripping off his face.

“Wait up!” Luhan called and Sehun slowed automatically.

Once Luhan had caught up, he said, “I seriously hope you make it. I think you’d make a great addition to the team.”

“Thanks.” Sehun muttered, unused to all the compliments that were coming his way.

“Love the converse, by the way.” Luhan added, before running off to presumably collect his own belongings.

Sehun looked down at his well-loved Chucks and laughed. He threw his bag over his shoulder and walked away from the field. He felt like he was dancing on air; he was finally flying through life with a purpose instead of just floating through it for no reason. As he turned around the corner of the bleachers, toward his dorm, he caught sight of Luhan again.

But Luhan wasn’t alone.

“How’d it go?” Lee Minji, Luhan’s long-term girlfriend, asked, clutching onto his shirt with her dainty fingers.

Luhan smiled, in thought, and responded, “It went really well. Xiumin is his usual fiery self but he didn’t scare too many people off. And there’s this new guy named Sehun who’s got some great potential.”

Minji stifled a laugh and Sehun’s eyes narrowed at her. He sat next to her in Chemistry and although she wasn’t blatantly rude to him, he knew she didn’t particularly like him either.

“He’s a bit of an odd one but if he’s good at soccer then I guess that’s all that matters.” Minji commented, a smirk on her pink lips.

Luhan looked take aback by his girlfriend’s reaction and objected, “He seemed to be pretty cool to me, Min.”

Luhan almost looked upset, which made Sehun’s breath hitch in surprise. Luhan had just met Sehun and he was already defending his new friend to his girlfriend (who he had been with for almost three years). The idea warmed Sehun’s heart.

“Sorry, Lu. I guess it was just my impression from class.” She explained, her eyes softening.

She captured Luhan’s lips in her own and Sehun had to turn away, a part of him burning with jealousy.

What the hell was going on for him? Sehun had just become Luhan’s friend. What the hell else did he need from the guy? Nothing. Luhan was his friend and nothing more…

He stalked off toward his dorm, chiding himself for his ridiculous feelings.