Chapter 14

Locker Room Love

 

TWO WEEKS OF LRL YAY!!!!!

Why can’t you just ask him out?” Minji whined, throwing a cushion at the back of Luhan’s head.

They were hanging out, one on one, just like old times. Minji was reading magazines on the bed while Luhan tried to do some homework. She had already finished hers in study hall (as usual) but Luhan was now slaving away after a tiresome football practice. Xiumin never backed down, even if they did have one win already under their belt.

It had been three days since Busan Prep’s first win and Minji’s party. Minji was tired of watching her best friend run around in circles about his interest in Sehun. It was time for him to make a frickin’ move!

Luhan spun around on his rolly chair. “Min, you know that’s a bad idea. What happens if he says no and I have to see him for the rest of the year? I’m just not willing to ruin that for either of us.”

Minji sighed. She was the girl in the friendship. She was supposed to be the dramatic one, not Luhan.

You’re not ruining it for anyone! You’re torturing yourself instead! That’s not fair to either of you, even if he doesn’t feel the same way.” She protested.

You’re one to talk. You invited Xiumin to the party and barely talked to him!” Luhan accused, crossing his arms with satisfaction.

I think we should break up.” Minji stated.

Luhan was confused. “Haven’t we already done that?”

Publicly. It would make things a lot less… complicated.”

When and where?”

Tomorrow after your practice.”

Luhan agreed with a nod. It would remove one more complication from the equation. The breakup also wouldn’t really mean anything since they already did it.

~~~

Thanks for taking me to the guitar shop, Kai. These picks are amazing.” Kyungsoo gushed, staring at the box of picks he now possessed.

Now you have no excuse to not play me more songs. You always amaze me when you do.” Kai commented, parking the car in the student lot.

Kyungsoo blushed fiercely. They sat in a comfortable silence, just studying each other for a few minutes.

I hope you don’t mind me saying this, but… you have the most gorgeous eyes I’ve ever seen.” Kai murmured, staring into Kyungsoo’s wide orbs.

I don’t mind.” Kyungsoo’s breath hitched as Kai moved closer to study them.

You’re blushing.” Kai noted, still entranced by the boy's eyes.

It’s hard not to, when you’re staring at me like that.”

Kai lurched, backward at Kyungsoo’s comment. His stomach twisted and he suddenly felt extremely out of place. Did Kyungsoo not want this as much as he did? What about the party?

Kyungsoo regretted the words right as they passed through his lips. “No! I didn’t mean it like that…”

You must think I’m so creepy. Giving you gifts, looking at you like that, God, I’m so thick sometimes.” Kai chastised himself, not daring to look over at Kyungsoo, who was getting very upset.

No, it’s none of those things. It’s romantic as hell.” Kyungsoo protested, reaching over and gently cradling Kai’s chin in his hand.

I don’t trust people, Kai, I just don’t. But I trust you. It’s different than with Sehun, this feels… like an adventure of sorts. I don’t totally understand what I’m feeling but I think that if we just…”

Kyungsoo’s ramblings were interrupted by Kai’s lips pressing against his. The contact was electrifying and totally new for both of them. Kyungsoo quickly relaxed into the connection and Kai sighed in reaction.

Feeling utterly vulnerable but utterly brilliant at the same time, Kyungsoo pulled away and smirked at Kai. It was a simple kiss but it meant the world to both of them.

You’re. Not. Creepy.” Kyungsoo spelled out which made Kai burst out laughing.

That’s good to know, because for a second there, I really felt like I was.” Kai responded.

Kyungsoo chuckled. “So… what does this even mean now?”

I don’t know. For right now, I think we should keep it on the down low. Obviously, we can tell, like, Luhan and Sehun, but otherwise, not yet.” Kai determined.

Kyungsoo got where he was coming from. He didn’t want to be ripped to shreds because of a relationship, especially a new one.

That sounds good to me.” Kyungsoo agreed.

It’s not like I’m ashamed of this or anything, I just don’t want people to harass you when I’m not around.” Kai shared, a of worry in his voice.

Kyungsoo tried not to be offended by the comment, but it did make him slightly miffed.

I’ll be fine.” He assured Kai.

I know. Just for my sanity’s sake, we’ll keep it quiet for right now?” Kai implored, eyes searching for some shred of support from Kyungsoo.

Okay, okay.” Kyungsoo and Kai then stepped out of the car.

Want me to walk you back to your dorm room?” Kai asked, smiling.

I’d love your company.” Kyungsoo answered as Kai wrapped his arm around the little guy.

As they walked, neither of them could wipe the smiles of their faces.

~~~~

When Sehun opened his locker the next day after practice, he saw a note that read:

Sehun,

I see that you enjoyed both the champagne and the party. When you get home from practice, listen to the secret track at the end of the playlist.

All I want you to do is listen.

Sincerely, ‘someone who cares’

Sehun whipped his head around to see who might’ve left it. There were barely any people left in the locker room, so it really could’ve been anyone.

Taking Minji’s advice about the anonymous gifter into consideration, Sehun decided to listen to the track right when he got into the privacy of his dorm room.

That’s when he heard crying. Minji’s crying.

Sehun walked swiftly out of the locker and he spotted Minji with tears in her eyes. He held his breath and backed up into the wall so he could listen but not be seen. He felt a bit weird spying but he just couldn’t help himself.

We can’t do this anymore, Luhan.” Minji murmured and Sehun clapped a hand over his mouth to hold back his audible surprise.

Were Minji and Luhan breaking up?

Luhan hated having people watch them as they did this, but it was necessary. If Minji and he wanted to move on to the people they wanted to be with, it just had to be done. But why in ’s sake was Minji making such a show of it?

The answer was in her eyes: Because I can.

I know, Min. It isn’t really fair to either of us.” Luhan responded, rolling his eyes. He tried not to sound so dispassionate but they were simply going through the motions at this point.

Sehun was surprised to hear how withdrawn Luhan was. Did he even care? Why didn’t he care? He should care…

So… this is it?” Minji sobbed.

Erm-yes. We’re going to have to break up.” Luhan answered, shifting awkwardly as he felt the collection of eyes on him.

He probably looked like a right for appearing so apathetic compared to her. He decided to try harder.

With everything we had together, all those years, and firsts… It’s over. I’m so sorry, Min.” Luhan cried, collecting his best friend into a tight hug. He closed his eyes for extra ‘intimate’ effect.

You’re squeezing me to death.” Minji complained, in a whisper.

Luhan released her and wiped away her ‘tears’.

Sehun was relieved to hear the last part.

I guess I’ll talk to you later. Friends?” Luhan said.

Best friends.” She corrected with a wink before trotting off to find Xiumin.

Luhan sighed and rubbed his temples. Everyone kept their distance. Besides Sehun.

He emerged from his hiding spot. “Are you okay?”

Luhan wanted to burst out laughing. The plan was already working.

I’m fine. That was a long time coming, really.” He responded genuinely.

Oh, I’m glad.” Sehun blurted, then bit his lips with regret.

You’re glad I’m fine. Thanks, Sehunnie. It means a lot.” Luhan corrected, a smirk dancing on his lips.

Any time.” Sehun murmured back, suddenly caught up in staring at Luhan’s lips.

Luhan noticed this and blushed. “Is there something on my lip?”

No. Sorry. I’ll talk to you later.” Sehun muttered, shaking his head at himself. He passed Luhan and stalked back to his dorm room.

Luhan was left happy, but slightly confused.

~~~

Sehun walked into his dorm room and was surprised not to see Kyungsoo on his bed, munching on something. He found an explanation if form of a note:

Went out with Kai. Be back soon

-Kyungsoo

Peace and Quiet: something Sehun never got, but felt he deserved.

He sat down on his bed and opened up his laptop. Surely enough, when he looked at the playlist, there was a final track that hadn’t been highlighted. He put it into bold writing and pressed play.

There was a crackle at the beginning before a guitar started to strum away.


 

I've got you under my skin.
I've got you deep in the heart of me.
So deep in my heart that you're really a part of me.
I've got you under my skin.

 

The voice in the song sounded so familiar but Sehun was having a difficulty placing it. He couldn’t remember if it was someone he knew personally or just someone famous.

 

I'd tried so not to give in.
I said to myself: this affair never will go so well.
But why should I try to resist when, baby, I know down well
I've got you under my skin?

 

Sehun’s breath hitched at the lyrics. The song was beautiful and he had never heard it before. Was it selfish to think someone had written it for him?

 

I'd sacrifice anything come what might
For the sake of havin' you near
In spite of a warnin' voice that comes in the night
And repeats, repeats in my ear:


Don't you know, you fool, you never can win?


Use your mentality, wake up to reality.
But each time that I do just the thought of you
Makes me stop before I begin
'Cause I've got you under my skin.

 

He was lost in a mix of emotions. He was frustrated because he couldn’t place who it was but at the same time, Sehun just wanted to get lost in the music.

 

I would sacrifice anything come what might
For the sake of havin' you near
In spite of the warning voice that comes in the night
And repeats - how it yells in my ear:

 

A memory was triggered by the last lyric.

No…” Sehun muttered to himself, realizing how ridiculous the thought was.

 

Don't you know, you fool, ain´t no chance to win


 

It can’t be…”

 

Why not use your mentality - get up, wake up to reality?
And each time I do just the thought of you
Makes me stop just before I begin
'Cause I've got you under my skin.
And I like you under my skin.

 

He knew he had recognized that voice. The voice singing the song was “someone who cares” also known as Luhan.


 


 

A/N

The plot thickens........................