Ch. 8

'애인, 제발' (Aein, chebal // Darling, Please)

 

The speed of the car increased as soon as she hit the main road and so did her determination. It was an hour's drive if the current speed was maintained, and she wanted to lessen it even more. She knew the determination and adrenaline her anger was fueling her with now would start to ebb away the longer it took, and she couldn't afford for it to. So as the countryside passed by, the convenience stores, and the occasional houses, she began ridding her mind of everything Hyun Joong and focusing on the one thing that was driving her back, away from all the progress she'd made, away from Hyun Joong, and back towards her past.  

 

 

 

 

Hyun Joong watched as the sun filtered through the windows, first only tiny tendrils of light, lapping at the floor but then gradually growing until they had fanned out and covered most of the furniture in the place. He stared at the occurrence blankly, watching but not watching, seeing instead a film of the past four hours with Min Seo and having it alternately spliced with memories of the past that had caused him to go to bed with face splitting grins and contentment. It was like some bad film editor had decided that happy moments could never be enjoyed to the fullest and that nightmares were best relived. 

 

A string of vibrations caused his head to suddenly snap towards the phone lying next to him, but he sighed in despair as he realized again that it wasn't Min Seo. He had half a mind to shut the device off, but a larger part of him clung to the absurd hope that she would call. He was still in the same position he'd been in when Min Seo left, slumped on the floor with his back to the wall. He'd heard her car start, heard her drive off to who knows where, and he hadn't done a thing. Merely sat there and tried to come up with reasons for her to stay. Maybe if he'd started the conversation differently, if he'd pretended not to notice the shirt, if he'd paid more attention to her in the past month, if--. His thoughts were disjointed and unfocused. The only thing he could think of was that she left. She left, and she might never come back. The trust that had taken so long to build had been broken, and the best he could hope for now was that it wasn't irreparable. He didn't know what he would do otherwise. 

 

The sound of stilettos tapping on the marbled floor reached his ears, and he straightened up quickly, hope flooding his veins. The sudden burst of emotion died just as quickly, though, as his secretary rounded the corner. "Sorin," he muttered while closing his eyes and letting his head fall back against the wall. 

"I figured you'd be here," her take-charge voice was the same as usual. "You have a meeting with the board of directors in an hour." She dropped his jacket over his knees, causing his eyes to snap open. He looked up at her dully. He had half a mind to cancel the meeting, but the other half wanted something to keep him occupied so he wouldn't have to think about the previous night's events. He opened his mouth, not knowing what would come out, but before he could say anything Sorin held up a hand.

"I know what you're going to say. Don't worry, we'll get coffee on the way over." She spun around towards the door and started walking off. Lost as he felt, Hyun Joong picked himself up and followed her. Nevermind what he was going to say, he was glad she'd made up his mind for him.  "I took a cab, so it looks like you're driving," she called over her shoulder. 

 

 

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

A/N: Wow it's been forever, but finally, an update. I've been so busy, but the writer's urge has come again. So I hope you enjoy this and continue to look forward to more updates.