Ch. 5

'애인, 제발' (Aein, chebal // Darling, Please)

Min Seo put her hands on her hips and rolled her eyes at the ceiling. "Just what are you trying to say, Kim Hyun Joong?" 

 

"I don't know, Min Seo!" He pinched the bridge of his nose. "Help me out here, because I don't know either." He'd whirled around, shirt in hand and was facing her with a frustrated look on his face. If anything, the fact that he wanted to believe anything she said was tearing at her right now. 

 

I'm sorry, Hyun Joong, but I have to do this. "Well what do you think it is, Hyun Joong? You're holding a shirt, and I just told you where it came from, but that's not good enough for you?" Her volume was increasing now. 

 

"Not when your story's that bad. Come on, Min Seo. If you're trying to hide something, just say it! If this is someone else's, just tell me!" 

 

"Oh so now we get to the root of the problem," she rolled her eyes. "Why don't you stop trying to mask it and just tell me outright? You don't trust me!" She was yelling the words, but somewhere in the middle her voice broke. She knew this was where she wanted him to be, and she had set it all up. But it still hurt to have trust broken. Especially when they'd come so far in establishing it. Past memories came flooding in for a moment, and she felt catch and her eyes fill up. 

 

Hyun Joong saw it too, and he took a step forward. "Min Seo." He reached out with his hand. "I'm sorry, I didn't plan--" 

 

Min Seo, get a hold of yourself! in those tears! Min Seo angrily blinked back the tears and willed him not to come any closer. Any closer and she might waver. "Forget it! You made a promise, Hyun Joong, and you just broke it." She glared at him. 

 

He stood there for a moment and slowly brought his hand down, instead raising the one holding the shirt. "But you aren't telling the truth right now, are you?" He waited for her to say something, staring hard into her face. "Come on, Min Seo. I know you. Do you think I don't know you're lying right now?" He paused again, giving her a chance to answer. When the silence prevailed, he heaved a sigh. "Did you think I'm the type to just blindly believe something like this?" His voice showed disappointment, and the look on his face was causing her more pain than when he had been raising his voice. 

 

"No, no I don't, Hyun Joong. But I guess this is just the perfect thing to focus on instead of a broken promise. Why didn't I think of it? Yes, let's focus on the shirt with the coffee stain instead!" Min Seo threw her hands up in the air and allowed the sarcasm to come through unfiltered. Hyun Joong ran a hand through his his hair in frustration. "No, Min Seo, you're not list-"

 

"But that's okay," she interrupted with a smug smile on her face. "That makes it easier for me to tell you the truth. You were so bent on digging for it anyway. That shirt isn't yours, and there's a reason your drawer's been cleared out. I've been seeing someone else." She paused to allow her words to sink in. It was agonizing having to watch all of his different emotions play out in front of her. It was time to end it. 

 

Slowly, Min Seo crossed the room, closing the space in between them. She brought a hand up to his cheek and patted it gently before leaning in and whispering, "It turns out I like bad guys better." One last smirk, and she was gone from his sight.