Chapter 9

Love Me Again

Previously….

 

Back at Kim’s Residence, its past midnight…. Shin Hye was standing by the porch holding her phone dialing Hyun Joong’s number.  The busy signal made her press the re-dial button more than ten times.  Getting frustrated, she threw her phone to the ground.

“I think he’s seeing someone new again!  If I ever find out who she is… she better hide coz’ I’m going to make her life a living hell! Arghh. Hyun Joong where the hell are you?”

******************************************************************************

Its close to four in the morning, Hyun Joong is totally wasted while Yi Jung kept his alcohol level on a low key as usual; keeping his cousin company. Chatting about matters of the heart. Min Yun crashed to bed before midnight, exhausted from their JeJu trip back. Plus all the drama that’s been happening. 

“Hyung, more!!!” Hyun Joong drops the shot glass on the table.

“This is our last bottle… after this, you need to get your sleep… you’re too drunk!”

“I don’t want to sleep yet…” He paused and asked... “I wonder what Somin is doing right now?”

“I’m sure she’s sleeping by now…”

“I really want to go and see her…”

“Look, you’re too drunk to drive right now. So please don’t think of doing something crazy – I swear you will regret it!

“Okay… then I’ll go see her tomorrow then!”

“Didn’t she say not to bother her anymore?”

“Yes, but I still want to see her!”

“Hyun Joong, let her go… you know she will suffer if ever you pursue her.” Yi Jung sincerely added.

He broke down in tears. “I know… and I hurt her badly!  She trusted me and I took advantage of her vulnerability. Did you know I was her first?!?!”

“Oh boy… Just don’t go into details now…”

“No… Its just that… of all people, she trusted me?!?!”

“We all know she’s been in love with you since…”

“… she’s a beautiful girl… bubbly… I can’t get over her cuteness…” He smiled softly. “I love everything about her... And she’s right here inside me….” He to points his heart… tears still trickle down his cheeks.

Yi Jung  streched his hand and tap his back.  “Kailin Gow said.. “Love hits you when you least expect it, grab you, you in whole, and twists you around until you could hardly breathe.” I really think you’re in love.”

“In love huh? Ttssss….” Hyun Joong wiped his tears and smiled. “I think I am… and I’m not ashamed to admit it!”

Finally Hyun Joong decided to retire. Yi Jung was left in the kitchen tidying up… he accidentally drop a bottle of soju to the floor which woke Min Yun up!  She jumped off the bed and ran outside the room to see where the sound came from.  She saw Hyun Joong passed out in the couch, his left arm hanging and touching the floor. Then headed to the kitchen and saw her husband trying to wash the dishes.

“Aawww honey you’re too cute! Let me do that for you…”

“Watch your step…” He pointed the broken bottle that hit the floor.

“Just go to bed, let me clean up… come on, go now!” She pushed him out of the kitchen.

“I’ll wait for you…” He whispered and winked at her.

“No just go to bed…” She hugged her husband and kisses him on his lips.

“I love you!” Yin Jung said it sweetly.

“You’ve been getting all mushy since we got married!” She shot back while giggling.

“Today, I realized how lucky I am that I married you…”

“Are you sure you’re not drunk?” She giggled feeling all giddy while ringing her arms around his neck.

“Just tipsy.” He scooped her up and sat her on a stool. “I’m worried about Hyun Joong hun. I honestly don’t know how to help him on this one. I’m feeling very sorry for him.  He’s like a little brother to me.”

“I know and all this time, I thought wrong about him…” Min Yun frowned.

“That’s because he wants people to think of him that way. When Somin came into the picture… Man… He said he never felt so right about someone…”

“Well inspite of everything, I can tell he’s really in love with her. I’ve never seen that side of him until today with Somin.  I just don’t want to put my cousin in line and suffer.  Like I said this is going to be a messy one.  We’re dealing with my bratty bestfriend here.”

“I know… even Hyun Joong doesn’t even know what to do at this point. You should see him crying earlier when the alcohol kicked in…”

Min Yun sigh. “I could imagine the pain he’s carrying. Can your dad help your uncle at least?”

“I thought about that but it will be too hard… My dad and his dad are not in good terms for the past 3 years now.  They had a big misunderstanding about some business transaction that gone wrong… Both parties lost a lot of money.”

“No wonder he didn’t ask him for help. Was he at our wedding?”

“No he wasn’t… They always send Hyun Joong and his brother for any of our family events… even my aunt refuses to come.”

“But who’s fault is it though?”

“That… I don’t know… but I think its pride! Both our fathers have strong personalities and I saw them crash a lot while growing up.”

“Poor Hyun Joong…” Min Yun said while she peeked at the couch to check on Hyun Joong.  “Wait, did he mention why Shin Hye’s here?”

“I think there’s something wrong with your friend hun… She flew in just because she heard from someone that Hyun Joong was smooching with one of our bridesmaids…..” He paused for a second. “Wait… could it be with Somin?”

“Oh-my-god! They’ve been flirting with each other since our wedding day?” Min Yun in shock.

“I guess….” Yi Jung responded and smirked.

“I’m disappointed with Shin Hye… She told me she’s busy with school that’s why she couldn’t come to our wedding.  Then one phone call about Hyun Joong she took the first plane back? That ! She’s not going to hear the end of this!”

“Honey, I don’t know how your friends with her but I find her a weirdo! I wouldn’t be surprise if she hired an investigator to follow Hyun Joong everywhere.” Yi Jung added jokingly while laughing.

“Only when it comes to Hyun Joong, we all know she’ll stop the world for him! Okay now, go to bed, I’ll see you in a bit!” Min Yun shooed her husband away and continued to clean up.

~

Its 6:00am and Somin’s alarm clock starts buzzing. She was already up an hour before, eyes wide open looking at the ceiling. She slowly got up and sat down. She bit her lip thinking…

“Why can’t I stop thinking about you? And it tortures me that I can’t even have you… ”

After an hour of reflecting, weeping, blaming, and regretting, she decided to get up and make breakfast for her family. Her mom got startled when she saw her early in the kitchen flipping eggs and looking so down.

“Hey, what’s wrong with you? You should be serving the food happily!” Mrs. Jung startled Somin.

“Umma!”

“It looks like a car ran over your face! What’s the matter?”

“Nothing!” She responded.

“But why are your eyes puffy?” Her mother insisted. “I think you have a problem!”

“I just couldn’t sleep last night…”

“If you say so!” She lifted her brows and sat on the table.

She was all quiet during breakfast and everyone seems to notice it. When her mother was about to say something Mr. Jung gave her a sign to leave her alone.  But being a mother, she couldn’t stop and ask.

“Somin, what the hell is wrong with you?”

“Yeobo, please!” Mr. Jung trying to stop her.

“Its okay appa! I think this is the perfect time for me to tell you what’s really bothering me.  Lately I’ve been stressing out about my course at Columbia.  Dad, would you be mad at me if I decided to take teaching than business?”

“Teaching??? Somin, why teaching?” Mrs. Jung asked in disappointed tone.

“It’s always been my dream to teach kids and I know I’m going to be successful if I choose that course.”

“Do whatever you want.” Her father replied in a cold tone and he continued eating.

Somin sigh. “I know you’re all disappointed but it’s what I’ve wanted to do.”

“Then I guess you don’t really need to go to the states if you’re taking teaching?” Her mother added.

“What? Why not?  I have my mind set for Columbia University on this!” Somin shot back.

“That’s only if you were to take business…” Mr. Jung answered firmly.

“You’re still leaving me with no choice!” Somin was getting more irritated.

“You do have the choice but I decide what school you go to!” Mr. Jung said determinedly.

That night, Somin got more even depressed.  She called her cousin Min Yun to look for comfort.  Instead of making her feel better, she made it worst by telling her what Hyun Joong had said (in details) the night before.  She finally told her off and asked her not to mention about Hyun Joon in any of their conversation moving forward.

~

It has been a week since the wedding and Somin is not in speaking terms with her father and days of contemplating the cons and pros… Yet she still can’t decide between business and teaching.  The only thing that she knows in her heart, she would like to live and study abroad and a decision has to be made soon!  Somehow, she likes the idea that she’s been occupied with this dilemma… she’s slowly starting to forget about Hyun Joong.  Then suddenly her phone rings.

“Hello?”

“Somin?”

“Yes, this is she…” She answered happily.

“Hi!”

“Who’s this?” She asked in confusion.

“It’s me, Hyun Joong!”

“Hyun Joong?  Didn’t I tell you to stop! Please?”

“I know, but I want to see you… can we please meet up tonight? Please? Just before I leave in two days?!”

“You’re leaving soon?” She asked.

“Yes… so please give me a chance to see you…” Hyun Joong begged.

After hearing his voice, she has the urge of wanting to see him. “Why are you trying to make things difficult for me? I’ve been at peace for almost a week and here you are again…”

“I’m willing to give up everything for you Somin… I want to be with you!  If you feel the same way for me, please meet me tonight!”

The longing made her say… “Okay… fine!”

“Oh Somin…. I’m so glad you agreed! I’ll pick you up around seven!”

“No, you can’t pick me up here!  My parents will be home so meet me a block away from my house.”

“I can’t wait to see you!”

“I’ll see you later then… bye!” Then she hanged up! She thought to herself… ”What the hell am I thinking again! I’m meeting him up?  You’re getting yourself into a deep deep trouble Somin! Aarrggghhh… I hate myself! Why can’t I control myself when it comes to you Hyun Joong?!?!”

Its quarter to seven Somin told her parents she’s going to see her friend for dinner.  She was walking down the street then suddenly a car pulled over beside her.  Hyun Joong got off the car ran to Somin and hugged her tight.  He nuzzled his nose through her hair.

“Somin… I really missed you so much!”

She couldn’t resist, she also hugged him back… “You don’t know how much I missed you too!”

Hyun Joong pulled away and looked at her deep in the eyes. He slowly kissed her temple and hugged her again.

“Trouble or not, you wanted to be with me right?”

“Yes… but we can never be!  I honestly don’t know why I came here… I don’t know why I have full of hopes but something is telling me that I also want to be with you….”

Hyun Joong pulled away.  “Will you come with me to the states?  Let’s start anew… away from everyone and all these dramas!  I don’t care if my father disowns me; I don’t care about anything at this point!  All I want is you beside me.”

Somin couldn’t find the words to respond.  She was speechless. “I…. uuummm… wow…”

“I bought you a ticket, were leaving in 2 days and the flight is  at 9:30pm… think it overnight and if you have decided, I’ll see you at the airport!”

“What about Shin Hye?”

“She doesn’t know of course… but I don’t care about her!”

“This is a bit too much Hyun Joong… I just can’t walk away from everything I have… my parents…….  My sister…. Everything! “

“Like I said, I will give up everything for you and I hope you will too!”

Just right across the street the two didn’t notice Shin Hye’s been spying in a black Audi parked on the side road.

 

... to be continued