2

Just Bitten

(A/N: i switch point of views occasionally, hopefully no one is confused ;A;)

                                                                                                                     *****

Lay started to feel his blood go cold. He squeezed his eyes together as he remembered the heady scent when he had kissed her. In that moment it took all of his willpower to resist his new urges. Now, sitting in a car with her so close was almost more than he could take. All he could smell in the enclosed space was her. He felt dizzy and lightheaded.

Lay opened the window. At first it helped, but the outside breeze swirled her overwhelming fragrance in ribbons around him. His heartbeats were becoming less frequent and farther apart. Lay inhaled deeply, trying to counteract the decreasing bloodflow with more oxygen to his lungs. It was like inhaling poison.

A tingling sensation shot through his jaw and concentrated in the nerves of his incisors. Lay felt another shock, this time in his neck. He placed his hand over the two gashes in his neck and felt them close up under his fingers. As he pulled his hand down, he noticed the the thickening, dull, red liquid on it. Unsure of what to do, he hastily wiped his hand on his shirt, hoping she wouldn't notice.

Lay's eyes fluttered closed. He listened to the breeze rushing through the car windows and the sound of her voice humming along to the song playing on the radio. He rested his hand on his heart, realizing that he had not felt it beat for the past minute. He smiled bitterly to himself at the irony. He had taken his last heartbeat without even recognizing. As a test, to see if he was actually still alive, Lay inhaled and exhaled. A coldness washed over him.

He stole a glance at her. How odd that he began to notice the life in her.

He could swear that he could see her heartbeating.

He could swear that he could see the blood traveling through her veins.

Blood.

Veins.

He ran his right index finger along his left wrist, feeling the increasingly prominent veins. Without looking, he already knew they would be blue in colour.

Lay turned to her, silently examining her side profile. How are we different, now? He kept asking himself. He smiled, noticing the tip of her pink tongue peeking out as she was deeply concentrating on the road ahead. He studied the natural, healthy blush of her cheeks.

Pink.

Blush.

Red.

Blood.

A strange feeling came over him. A feeling of desire. But don't desires come from the heart of a person? His stopped working a few minutes ago.

Shouldn't I then be incapable of wanting? He thought.

His tongue began to stick to the roof of his mouth.

Thirsty.

Lay reached his hand towards her and gently his index finger along the length of her neck. She glanced momentarily from the road and smiled at him. Lovingly. Caringly. Unsuspectingly.

Lay turned away quickly, feeling guilty. He squeezed his eyes shut and clenched his fists, hoping for this ride to end soon.