A new helper

Going Home

 

They had history the next morning, and Tao had actually looked forward to seeing Baekhyun quite a bit. Only problem was that he wasn’t there, until half an hour into the lesson. He looked kind of messy - like he’d woken up 10 minutes ago and hadn’t had the time to fix his hair. It was cute, actually. Tao locked eyes with him the second he stepped into the classroom. He held the gaze as Baekhyun walked towards him and Tao realized only as Baekhyun sat down beside him that the seat next to Tao was the only free seat in the room.

“Hey cute-voice”

“Uhm goodmorning.” Tao felt so stupid speaking Korean. And it wasn’t like he was very bad at it. He just wasn’t the best, and that bothered him.

“So… what did I miss?” Baekhyun sounded sincerely interested in the subject.

“To be honest… I’m not quite sure.” Tao felt stupid.

“Oh, like you don’t understand the teacher? You should talk to him; he could slow down and maybe...”  Tao cut him off.

“No no, like I get what he says. It’s just uhm, I don’t know any of the things you’re learning here. I’m used to history being about Chinese history… obviously.” Tao smiled.

“Oh… so you don’t know much about Korean history? What about the exams in a couple of months, you won’t be able to pass...” Baekhyun looked concerned. Tao didn’t think he cared about grades that much.

“I don’t know. I haven’t been here for so long, and I was thinking about looking into some private teaching or something to catch up.” Really, he had intended to do that, but he just… hadn’t gotten to it. He suddenly noticed that a boy sitting a few meters from him looked at him with an intense expression. The boy quickly looked away.

“I know!” Baekhyun exclaimed, so loudly that he earned a “shush” from the teacher. “I could help you.” He continued in a lower voice, ”I could teach you! I’m pretty good at history and I’ve got like notes from the last two years I could give you.”

Tao had never felt very comfortable accepting help from people. He liked to do things by himself. That’s also why he didn’t like speaking Korean a lot - people would always offer him help with learning it. But he was really in trouble with this history thing and he also would like to get closer to Baekhyun.

“Uh that would be great I think.”  Was all he managed to say.

“Cool - we could meet at my house. Have you got plans this afternoon?”

“No, not that I can think of.”

“You should come to my place then. I live nearby.” There was something cheeky about Baekhyun’s smile, and Tao smiled too.

“Alright. I’ll just have to make a call though. Meet you after school in the cafeteria?”

“Sure thing.” The sound of the bell came as timely as possible.