There's this party

Going Home

 

Over the course of the next couple of weeks, Tao visited Baekhyun many times. They read and talked and sang. Tao even stayed for dinner a couple of times, and Baekhyun’s parents were the liveliest people Tao had ever met. He felt happier from all the visits to the colourful house, almost like a different person. And because he was talking a lot with Baekhyun, his Korean got more fluent. Baekhyun even complimented him; he said his accent had gotten less audible.

Chanyeol, Baekhyun’s friend, didn’t seem too fond of Tao though. Every time Tao met him, which was usually when he was with Baekhyun, Tao attempted small talk and even complimenting his haircut. Chanyeol didn’t budge; he directed his words at Baekhyun and only shot semi-unpleasant glances at Tao.

Tao started talking to more people, his side mate in science turned out to be very interested in music. His name was Kyungsoo, and he looked almost as cute and small-boyish as Baekhyun. They talked about favorite singers and bands, and Kyungsoo knew a lot about Chinese music as well. Overall, Tao became a somewhere around 1000 % more social.

Tao didn’t bring anyone home. He didn’t want to confirm their prejudices by showing them the boring, grey apartment in which he and his mother lived.

Baekhyun brought it up one day when they met in the cafeteria after school.

“Why don’t we ever study at your house?” he asked.

“Uhm, I just.. it’s nothing special. I live with my mother in this really small apartment. Really, I like your house much better.”

Baekhyun seemed to understand and changed the subject. “There’s a party at Lay’s house on Friday. You know Lay from history? Are you coming?”

“Well I thought of coming but I’m not sure I know enough people to justify showing up…” Tao thought it was a good excuse instead of revealing his disliking of loud music and drunken teenagers.

“But I’m coming, and Chanyeol. I think maybe Kyungsoo too, you’re buddies right?” Baekhyun really wanted him to come, it seemed.

“I’ll look into it. But maybe I should study instead, I’m still a bit behind on history.”

“You’re not gonna make 300 years of Korean history in one night, drop it. You’re coming if I have to drag you.” Baekhyun patted Tao’s hair and set off skipping like a happy kid. Tao adored Baekhyun’s dancing body for a couple of seconds before he followed, catching up easily, long-legged as he was.