An awkward encounter

Going Home

 

He’d only been there for three months, but he’d seen this boy so many times. Admittedly, it wasn’t as crowded a school as he was used to - roughly half the size of his old school back in China, but that was an all-boys school. This school had half the number of students, and so even fewer boys. So maybe it wasn’t weird that he’d noticed Baekhyun - he knew his name because they had two classes, history and math, together - this pretty little boy of 17 years, though he looked somewhat younger.  They had, however, never shared a single word.

This silence was probably caused by a mixture of Taos shy nature and his limited Korean. He wanted to talk to people, but whenever he had the chance, he seemed to be at a sudden loss for words. So he kept to himself. He realized that he didn’t look like someone who wanted company - he was taller than average, had dark hair that nearly covered his dark eyes, and he wore an almost self-sufficient smile almost permanently.

He had this idea that if he tried, he would be able to get friends. But he wasn’t really interested. He felt content by himself, at least for now. So he was alone most of the time, during recess also. Sometimes he just walked around the halls listening to music. One of these times he went to the lavatory. While checking his hair in the mirror, he absent-mindedly started singing this one Korean song he’d heard. Angel or something, to be honest he didn’t fully understand the lyrics, but he liked the melody. He froze when he heard the door to one of the stalls being unlocked and opened. Baekhyun walked out of it, smiling.

“You’re really good at singing. I love EXO.” He said as he washed his hands.

“Uhm thanks,” Tao answered. “I uh, I’m not sure I’m pronouncing the words right though.”

“You’re from China right? I think your Korean is just fine, I like your accent.”

Tao wondered how exactly his Korean could be ‘fine’ if he had an audible accent. Korean accents in Chinese never sounded good to him.

“Anyway, I’ll see you in our history class.” Baekhyun left. So he had noticed him in history.