The. Eli

Noona's Boy

2

“Promise me you won’t say anything weird”

Despite your younger sister already being past the age of ten, you still felt the urge to ‘baby’ her; even going to the lengths of holding her hand in a crowded place.

The both of you stood outside the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport just by the taxi stand. Your workmates, including Min and Myung had actually arrived before you and you had asked them to wait back so all of you could make your way to the debut at the M Countdown show together.

“Don’t worry” Your younger sister tried to snatch her wrist away from your grip on it, “I won’t”

You scoffed at her remark, but believed her in the end; knowing how shy she gets around strangers.

The airport was buzzing with business men and women hurriedly pacing in every direction whilst the scent of the smoke emitting from car exhaust’s tickled your nose as you covered your mouth whilst standing on your tippy toes, in search of your workmates. You sharpened yours eyes at the sight of a group of people who appeared somewhat misplaced and right there and then you knew it was them.

Tugging on your sister’s hand again, you directed the both of you to the taxi stands opposite from the side of the airport that you had exited from. Cars diverted from one side to another, some moving too quickly and some even too slow, after waiting a good couple of seconds, you shouted to your sister to prepare her to cross the hectic driveway.

“Now!”

Thankfully, the two of you had crossed safely. You could feel your dress sway as you ran, and you were just as glad that you were wearing shorts underneath as well as casual shoes rather than your tight office clothes and platform heels.

Min gave you a wave with the rest of your workmates tailing behind her. A few more had actually come than you initially thought, as Myung appeared to be in deep conversation with one the new female employee. Everyone greeted you as you greeted them back, till you remembered you had dragged your younger sibling along. So you introduced her to them as they warmly returned the gesture.

You checked the time, with half an hour till the start of the show, you played your role as junior manager and ordered everyone as if all of you were back in the office,

“Let’s go!” You smiled, leading the way to the taxi vans which would fit all of you in.


The taxi ride was somewhat quiet. You turned around slightly to see everyone having their own little conversations. Min was giggling under her breath with Lee, the two guys were in the back mucking around with a handy cam whilst Myung and Mi-hyun, the new girl, continued to chat away. You sighed to yourself as you looked now to your side to see your sister snoozing lightly. You happy that they were contented as the trip to the concert venue continued.

The sights of Taiwan passed by quickly as the taxi arrived at the venue hosting the special recording of M! Countdown. Surprisingly, there weren’t many fans sprawled outside the place, carrying their banners and light sticks. Checking your phone, all of you had arrived on time; so you assumed that everyone was already inside.

Piling out of the van, your workmates stretched, with their clothes crinkled from a whole day of work, and travelling both on a plane and a van. After paying the taxi driver with the company card, you realised your sister had already run off to what she thought was the entry way.

“Yah!” You called out after her, “Where are you going?”

It appeared that everyone had gotten sleepy after the taxi ride after spending it chatting away, whilst your sister who spent the time snoozing, was now full of energy. Chasing after her, the group followed closely behind you and before you knew it, you had chased your way into the back of the arena. You could hear the cheering and fan chants, yet you couldn’t see the actual fans themselves.

The entry that your sister had run into had led into a dark lit area; with busy stage hands running back and forth so quickly that it was practically impossible to stop one in their tracks to ask for assistance.

“Look at what you’ve done” You scolded your sibling, grabbing her by the wrist, and then looking to Min, “Min! You go first”

You gave Min a little push, as she approached a wider set of doors that were wide enough to allow your whole group to walk through in one line. Pushing the doors, they swung open revealing a hallway that was just as wide as the doors.

“Let’s just go through here” One of the guys suggested, walking past both you and Min, and straight down the hallway. You followed quickly behind, tugging your sister along with the rest of the group still in toe. The hallway had many doors with labels on them, and as you read them you realised that they were labelling the rooms that the groups were preparing in.

“I really hope I don’t see them” You heard Myung mumble as he shot you a glance to which you smirked at,

As exciting as it was passing doors where famous kpop stars would be behind, one door stood out the most to you as it was the only one open and it was the one that the guys had confidently walked into.

“Hey!” You tried your hardest not to shout, “You can’t just walk into there!”

But despite your pleas and position as their manager, everyone had casually walked into the room with its doors open. Timidly you approached the door, realising that it was labelled, ‘uBeat’.

“Unnie” Your sister whispered and this time it was her tugging on you, “Is this them?”

You could see the excitement on her face with her eyes widened and feet jumping; it made you wonder, why weren’t you excited?

With everyone already in the room, you took a deep breath, straightened your posture and walked in as if you had no doubts at all. You expected to see stylists and make-up artists buzzing around like bees, but everyone was calm and settled. Your workmates had made their way to the lounges and made themselves comfortable with the rest of the NH Media employees that were already there.

In one corner, you spotted Kevin practicing the song and lyrics; completely in his zone that you didn’t want to interrupt him. He was so passionate and you admired that. You continued to make your way through the workers, towards the lounge, trying not to cause a commotion as your sister gawked at the sight of uBeat and your fellow co-workers. Passing by another group of people who appeared to be having a loud conversation, you noticed AJ as part of it; adding smart remarks. So typical of him. You smiled to yourself happy that he was so calm and collected before their debut.

But despite the bright lights of the room reflecting on the mirrors from the vanity, something else; rather, someone else stood out the most. Your focus had diverted from all else and your gaze could not be shifted from this person.

You were sure that you had seen him before. Maybe once before, having just passed in a corridor or by a flight of stairs. Deep inside a strange feeling consumed you.

You continued to examine him as you made your way to the loungers. You didn’t want to admit that it was ‘love at first sight’, so you settled with ‘like at first sight’.

That hair. It wasn’t anything extraordinary. Neat. Simple. Your favourite.

He was like something out of a magazine. Almost too perfect. You wondered how anyone’s figure could be sculpted in such a way.

That face. Defined yet rough in some places.

He’s definitely one of them. But if he was one of them, how could you have missed him?

You watched him dance out the moves in an obscure manner as if he didn’t want to exert too much energy now but rather save it up for a powerful performance later.

Is this Eli? The Eli?

Why can you imagine yourself with him?

Is it because he looks older than yourself?

Wow. He sure is fine.

Wait- what?

Stop.

Stop Girl.

Stop Girl in the name of -

You snapped out of your thoughts; with a stupid grin plastered on your face. You tried so hard to grab another look at him. He was so fine. This boy. This man. Oh how he had caught you off guard.

Finally sitting yourself on the lounge with your sister by your side, you sighed deeply before gazing inconspicuously at that man who had caught your attention in a split second. No matter how much you thought you were a detective since you were always good at putting the puzzle together; this time there was piece missing; you couldn’t pinpoint who exactly he was.