The Office

Noona's Boy

1

Working in the office wasn’t what you intended to do with your life. You had dreams, pretty big ones; but they didn’t seem to work out. You could be doing something you love, but that wouldn’t earn you enough money to pay off that luxury European car you bought after finishing university, and it wouldn’t pay for the flashy studio that you currently call home. Taking phone calls, organising meetings, and making sure that everything was in check was life in the office of NH Media.

Many of your friends assumed that working at the NH Media building would mean seeing U-KISS constantly passing through the same elevators and corridors as you. But you had never actually seen all of them together at one time. You had seen some members more than others, with some even becoming close friends of yours over the time you had been working in the head office.

Soohyun, as leader, appeared many times during the pre-release of their third full album, and was always in the practice room whenever you had late night shifts. The first time he let you watch him practice singing created a bond between the both of you as he learnt of your skills of playing the piano as he sang along. Since the both of you were the same age, it was a friendship similar to the ones you would have with classmates in high school.

Kiseop and Hoon were the two you always bumped into at the printing room. You thought it was odd at first till you realised that they were using the room for playing almost childish games with the water dispenser and the boxes of printing paper. Initially, you would scold them for messing the room and making it hard to work in since the printing room was so small, but they soon warmed up to you after letting you join in their games since it was a way for them to cool off after a long day of rehearsing.

Dongho had become a little brother to you as you were assigned to tend to his business during the period where he was hospitalised. Sorting the fan gifts to him, buying his special tea and communicating with his school on behalf of him; the two of you had learnt more about each other and there was a special part in your heart for him; as if he was the brother you never had.

Kevin was the one you bonded over at the rooftop garden of the building. You always went up there to replenish your inner being when the buzz of the city got to you and all you wanted was peace and tranquillity. You found him sitting cross legged on a patch of grass reading a book, and he had approached you so warmly and eventually, the two of you had based a friendship over coffee, tea and good books.

AJ and Eli were the two that you knew least about. You had never had a chance to have a proper conversation with since AJ was studying in the U.S and as for Eli, you never found in a peculiar place within the building. Word was, that he never liked the head office; that he thought he already spent so much time there rehearsing; that he would leave immediately.

You stared blankly at your computer screen waiting for a new email to spontaneously pop up for you to read and sort through. You were stuck in the office till the President would return from a business meeting, so that you could hand him his new itinerary and work on the next task.

“____-ah!” Your name had been called out, causing you to spin around in your office chair to face your workmate; Min,

“Yes?” You smiled, glad that there was someone there to burst your bubble of boredom,

“Are you going to the debut performance of uBEAT?” she clapped her hands giddily,

“Wait-” You tilted your head, “When is it again?”

“Tomorrow” the almost too bubbly Min sighed happily, “We’ve been waiting for this for forever!”

It was true. uBeat was meant to debut a few months ago, but it had collided with the release of ‘Collage’ and the comeback period for U-KISS as a whole. It was something that even the most cunning of KissMes didn’t know, as the President knew that the company would be bombarded with messages, which you would receive first, about how fans think the group is constantly mismanaged.

“It’s about time” You agreed, straightening your skirt as you got up from your seat, “I hope the boys do well. I’d hate to see them be outshined”

You wanted the best for uBeat; especially since you knew how hard Kevin, the member you were closest with, worked on the subunit project; even if he wasn’t technically part of the group. You didn’t beat up yourself for feeling that way though; it was all part of being a Noona.

“They have a good chance” Min smiled half-heartedly, “…I think”

“Oh dear” You suddenly remembered, “I have to organise a way to get there”

Min gave you a pity look before patting your shoulder,

“I’d try and go at the same time with you but I have to stay back here tomorrow after my shift then leave a few hours before the show” She explained, “Too bad it’s in Taiwan”

“You’re telling me” You said sarcastically as you sat on the table as you thought of a way to getting to the debut show, “I’ve got to baby sit my sister at the same time”

The office began to slowly fill with more workers; a sign that the President was back, you stood back up, posture straight and your eyes sparkling as you noticed a familiar face.

“Myung!”

You beamed, catching up with your best friend who also happened to be another one of your fellow work mates who had walked past the door of your tiny office room, Myung stopped in his tracks, before giving you his attention and his signature smile as he paused in your office room door way.

His hair was slightly gelled in a youthful manner, his white button up shirt slightly ruffled with the stress of office life,

“Hmmm” He sounded interested in what you were going to say, approaching both yourself and Min,

“The debut” You said, leading to the next part, “You’re going right?”

“Oh…that” Myung suddenly lost interest, “Aren’t T-ara going to be there?”

You snickered at the mention of T-ara. Myung had been your best friend even before he transferred to NH Media’s office, even when he was working for Core Contents Media; T-ara’s company label. He had transferred over a year ago from them, but it was still awkward since he was close friends with the members of the T-ara, with even one member sparking a relationship between the two of them but Myung had refused to make the friendship more than what it was; leading him to leave the company.

“Yah!” You by slapping his arm, “I doubt she’d be there and even if she is, it doesn’t mean you have to talk to her”

“I don’t want to see any of them…” Myung whined, slouching himself down onto one of the grey chairs,

“Oh…” Min finally connected the dots of the conversation, “Is this about-”

You placed a finger over before she could say another word; or name.

“Shhh” You silenced her in a joking manner, “You’re not allowed to say her name in Myung’s presence”

“Ha.Ha.Ha.” Myung laughed sarcastically, “I don’t know… We’ll just have to see”

Grinning to yourself you folded your arms in defiance as Myung tilted his head back on the arm chair,

“I shall take that as a yes!” You gave him a cheeky smile before reporting back to duty.