Third

Got It Wrong

 

Krystal's POV

 

What are you even doing here, Amber?

 

I hurriedly wiped my tears and stood up. Straightening my stance was difficult, for my knee stings so badly, but the pain was overpowered by utter surprise.

 

“What are you doing here, Amber.” I muttered as coldly as I can muster, my back still facing her. I turned around.

 

Bad move.

 

For she is already standing dangerously close behind, my turn making our faces almost meet, the almost consisting of only a mere two inches. I can literally feel her breath in my face. She tried so hard to stop panting.

 

Her scent was beyond intoxicating. I lost my ability to move or speak or even think.

 

“Are-are you okay, Krys?”

 

Déjà vu, except for the name-calling part. Wait. . . Krys? She called me Krys! The butterflies in my stomach are dancing and twirling out of control.

 

I was about to take a backwards step, but she stopped me by pulling me by the waist. I stood frozen by the contact, like an ice sculpture devoid of mobility. My jaw literally dropped as she kneeled and inspected my throbbing knee. I impulsively backed away.

 

“Yah! I’m fine. It’s just a small bruise. You… You’re not even supposed to be here!” I stated indignantly.

 

“Krys, wait here. Be back in a sec.”

 

She sprinted as swiftly as she could. I blinked my eyes and she was gone. I was dreaming, right? Right!?

 

I slapped my face. Once. Twice. Thrice. It hurts.

 

Now I’m sure I’m wide awake. Wasn’t she supposed to be there back at the dorm with Suzy, exchanging sweet nothings?

 

After a few minutes, indeed she reappeared, this time holding a first aid kit. I don’t know how I just let her guide me to sit at the nearest bench, nor do I know how I just let her nurse my wound. My mind just went blank.

 

“Done!” She smiled widely, showing her perfect teeth.

 

I tried to speak again, but it came out like a squeak. What the hell is wrong with you, Krystal Jung?

 

“Th-thanks.” I finally blurted.

 

“Krys, why did you run off like that?” She asked, looking at my now scarlet face. She was still bending her knees while facing the sitting me, her hands holding the bench at both my sides. It was not a comfortable position for me, you know.

 

“I…. I just like taking a jog at night.”

 

She tried to hold her laughter. Good answer, Krystal! I mentally facepalmed myself.

 

“What’s so funny, dork?”

 

“Hehehe. That wasn’t a jog, Krys. It was more like a marathon run, you know.”

 

Now she’s really laughing.

 

“Yah!” I slapped her arm.

 

“Ow!”

 

She then stood up and sat beside me. Good, now I can hide my stupid face from its furious blushing. If my feet were okay, I would’ve sprinted away by now. I have to get away, before I suddenly release my pent-up feelings. But if I try to stand and then stumble, she might hold me to help me again. And I can’t bear any more electric shocks!

 

So I finally said, after a few minutes of awkward silence.

 

“Go back, Amber. I’m okay. Suzy, she must be waiting for you. You- you, she doesn’t like receiving mere letters, you know. She’d prefer if you confess your feelings straight to her face.” I bowed my head. Saying those words were painful. I took a glance at my left and saw her staring intently at me.

 

“Krys, you got it wrong. That note wasn’t from me. I--- it’s someone else I want to confess to.”

 

I looked at her again and saw her face had gone beet red. Is she blushing? Woah, Amber Liu is blushing!

 

Wait. Someone else.  So she doesn’t like Suzy? Then who?

 

“I want to ask you something, Krys. Please answer honestly. Are you….uh…. straight?”

 

Did she just say strict? I didn’t quite catch that.

 

“Yes. I’m strict, and I don’t care how cold I look. People who mind don’t matter and people who matter don’t mind.” I replied forcefully.

 

I expected her to cower after my blunt response, but instead I was met with a fit of chuckling.

 

She cleared .

 

“I mean.. uh… Are you, do you. Uhm. Could you possibly like uh… girls?

 

Wh-what? Ah, so she’s asking me if I’m straight. Well, I was so sure of that a year ago, but when I laid eyes upon this adorable dork I fell hard. And she’s a girl. So that makes me as straight as a circle.

 

“Why are you asking me this, Amber.”

 

“Be-because, to tell you the truth…” She took a deep breath before continuing. “ I like you Krystal. I really, really like you. I have always secretly liked you. I know you always appear cold and uninviting, but that never stopped me from liking you. It may sound scary but I’ve secretly followed you around, you know. One day I saw you help a little girl from getting bullied by a bunch of boys. I saw how you comforted her. The care and sincerity in your eyes was so touching. It made me want to know you more. I can’t get you off my mind since our first meeting at the corridors. Your smiles make me feel warm and happy inside, no matter how rare you show them. Even the tiniest of your gestures brighten up my day… I should have said this a long time ago. I want to get to know you more and be by your side from now on...”

 

“Krystal Jung, willyoubemygirlfriend?"

 

She said the last sentence so hastily. But I caught every word. My heart is drumming with pure joy. I want to jump and scream like a giddy madwoman. I’ve never felt so happier in my entire life.

 

Amber likes me.

 

Amber asked me to be her girlfriend.

 

Her girlfriend

 

Oh my God.

 

OMO!

 

These words kept repeating itself in my head, and I did not even realize I was smiling from ear to ear. I looked at Amber. She had her head hung low. Was she expecting me to reject her?

 

Hell no!

 

It was my turn to clear my throat.

 

“Ahem.. Ahem… No.”

 

She looked hurt. Haha, you got it wrong, dork.

 

“No. I’m not straight. No, I never liked girls but I unexpectedly fell in love with a dorky tomboy.”

 

Her head suddenly rose up and her eyes glimmered with hope.

 

“I never thought this tomboy will ever like an icy, unapproachable nerd like me. I even thought she likes my friend. I’m glad I was wrong.”

 

I looked her in the eyes,

 

“Amber… I like you too, so much. It will be difficult to deal with a person like me, but I’ll try to open up for you. You—you… I’ve never felt this way with anyone before. You make me want to be a better person. Help me, Amber Josephine Liu. Stay by my side.”

 

It was my turn to hang my head low. I felt so embarrassed with my burning cheeks.

 

“Is- is that a yes?”

 

She was grinning like an idiot.

 

“Yes.”

 

I swear I’d have a heart attack when she held my jaw and gave me a sweet peck on my forehead.

 

 

My knee did not even sting a tad bit after that anymore.

 

 

 

 

x----------------------------------------------------------------------------x

 

Author giggling here like an idiot. ^_^

But wait...

What about Suzy? What must she be thinking right now? From whom did that note come from, anyway? And what does it say?

Dun dun dun dun (drums rolling….)

 

Stay tuned. . .

 

Anyways.

Thanks to all who subscribed and commented! Even the silent readers keke. I’m actually not expecting anyone to mind this fic. It’s my first time writing so I beg your pardon for any mistakes or errors.

 

Have a great day, everyone!