First

Got It Wrong

 

Krystal's POV

“Am- Amber?”

 

My God! Amber Josephine Liu is at my door. The school’s tomboy heartthrob is standing in front of me right now. Hide Krystal, hide!

 

Oh why? Why did I have to be the one who opened the door?

 

Yah! That’s because your roommate, the school’s Queen Ka, Suzy Bae, is in the shower dummy.That’s why you, the school’s nerd --- in your loose pajamas, uncombed hair, and thick-rimmed glasses, is now standing in front of your long-time crush.

 

“What brings you here?” I managed to blurt without a stutter.

 

Good that my brain is still working, thanks to my sharp features I can mask a cold face.

 

Amber is staring at me with an unreadable expression. Well, how can I read her stare when my heart is pounding so hard I can hardly breathe? With my insides crumbling under the intensity of this first time,well, after a long time, face-to-face encounter?

 

“Uh… Krys. Krys-tal. Hi.”

 

Why is she stuttering? Amber Liu never stutters in front of anyone! She’s outgoing, smart, and has lots of friends. And you, Krystal Jung, is the complete opposite. Your only friend is your roommate, who happens to be the most sought after girl in the university.

 

And what’s with the dorky but nervous grin? I swear I’ll lose consciousness any second from now after seeing her smile so up close.

 

Do you know the effect you have on me, Amber?

 

“Ca-can you pl-please hand this over to Suz-suzy?”

 

I felt my chest tighten. So that’s why. Why did I silently hope that she’d be here to see me? We’re not even friends. She’s Suzy’s classmate, and possibly one of her countless admirers.

 

I looked at the folded paper in her hands.  I couldn’t stop my own hands from trembling while I tried so hard to keep my tears from falling as I took the letter from her. I’m so certain now that it is one of those countless love confessions Suzy receives.

 

Your love for her, Krystal, will always be one-sided.

 

“Oh Amber, you’re here. Is that for me, Krys?”

 

Suzy appeared at the right moment. I could feel my defenses wavering, my knees turning weak. I handed the paper to her, before I ran away.

 

I ran as fast as my legs can carry me. I wanted to go somewhere far from here, away from all the frustrations bottled inside me for so long.

 

I don’t want to hear it. I don’t want Suzy to read it to me. She loves to read the letters she receives out loud, so we both can laugh at them together. She never responded to any of her mails, though.

 

But most of all, I don’t want to see the look on Amber’s face. She must be so nervous a while ago because she’s finally summoned the courage to ask Suzy to be her girlfriend.

 

But why do I feel the need to escape?

 

That’s because I know Suzy likes her. She likes her so much that she had anticipated receiving a confession from her for so long. They must be confessing their feelings to each other right now. I don’t want to go back and see them together.

 

Bump!

 

I tripped.

 

However, I did not bother to get back up on my feet. My knees are sore but my heart is more wounded.

 

How can I face Suzy now? How can I stay friends with her when she’s dating the person I fell head over heels with?

 

But then a deep, unmistakable voice snapped me out of my miserable reverie, making my heart skip a rugged beat.

 

“Krystal.”

 

Why are you even here?

 

x---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------x

I beg your pardon for any grammar mistakes.

This is going to be a short story, so expect 2 to 3 more chapters. keke 

Don't hesitate to leave a comment! :)