Second

Got It Wrong

Amber's POV

 

>>>A day ago, in the cafeteria..

 

Why is it that I, Amber Josephine Liu, the school's "King" Ka with a vast following of crazy fangirls, don't have the guts to approach the girl I truly, madly, deeply, like?

 

"Yah! Are you even listening to me?" My diva of a bestfriend, Key, interrupted the mumblings of my mind.

 

"You know what, dude, as I was saying, I just couldn't understand why you're so in love with that icy nerd when her eye-candy of a roommate is so obviously attracted to you."

 

"Yah Key! If she takes off her glasses and let her long ebony hair fall freely on her perfect face, guys will drool over her. I'm actually quite relieved that she's cold, distant, and appears the way she is, so only the ones who are brave enough and who truly deserve her attention can go near her... And so noone will dare to take her away. hehe." I dreamily responded.

 

"Aiiisssh, dorkber. So are you brave enough now? You can't even speak properly when you practice your long-overdue confession to me, how can you survive saying it in front of her face? You'd probably have a heart attack. The love disease hit you bad, Ambro. When did it even start to infect you anyway?" He said as he munched my Cheetos hungrily. 

 

I can only mutter a sigh as I relived our first meeting. 

 

 

>>>Two years ago, at the school's corridors...

 

Gaaaah. I'm going to be late. Where is that room, anyway? It's only the second week and I have to deal with the annoying fangirls again and again. Aiiissssh. Thankfully, my fast reflexes and wise sense of evasion is working. I'm already out of breath with all this running. Just as I was to turn left to the hall leading to  my first class, I bumped into someone, hard.

 

I think I saw stars when I collided with the person, my head hurts. But I guess she, yes its a she, is the one suffering more, since she's still sprawled on the floor, her books scattered on the concrete. 

 

She looked up, and then and there I saw her face. Oh my God, she's so beautiful. She was bare-faced, no hints of make-up evident on her angelic face at all. Her eyes are so mesmerizing, her nose curved perfectly, her lips, oh, so naturally pink and. . .her skin, so pale yet so flawless beyond compare. Her long hair is secured with a now-loose ponytail, some strands falling seamlessly in her face.  She was busy rubbing her forehead which by now had a reddish shade. 

 

What are you doing, Amber? Stop staring and by the love of God help her!

 

"Uh.. Oh my gosh I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I wasn't looking. I was in a hurry." I was about to help her up but I was met with a glare. The temperature suddenly went below freezing point. Her glare is so scary. How can someone so beautiful look so intimidating at the same time?

 

Her glare was still affixed at me, rooting me to place. Her hands were tapping the ground desperately. What is she looking for? Oh, eyeglasses. 

 

"There." I pointed behind her right side. "Let me help you." I bent down to help her retrieve it, but she was able to pick it up before I did. Her glasses were thick rimmed and black at the edges. Too bad she's covering her alluring eyes. 

 

I held out my hand but she shook it away, standing on her own. She stared at me quizzically for the longest time. I was dumbstruck until I finally managed to forge a smile. She flinched. Her eyes turned soft.

 

"Th-thanks." It was a whisper but nevertheless, I heard it. My grin went wider.

 

"Are you okay? I'm Amber Liu by the way." I held my hand out but she didn't shake it. Uh oh.. I diverted my hands to rub the back of my neck instead, feeling embarrassed with her decline. I hastily picked up her books and handed it over to her. 

 

Awkward silence.

 

"Uh.. So see you around?"

 

I was about to take off since I remembered I'm now really, hopelessly late for class thanks to this encounter with a heavenly being. I walked slowly past her until we were shoulder to shoulder.

 

But then she softly said,

 

"Krystal Jung. Don't go running around in the corridors again." 

 

My heart leapt for joy as she said her name and then nonchalantly left me there in a trance.

 

 

>>>

 

Since then, I just contented myself by watching her from afar. We never talked again. Whenever we chance to meet in the school she always hangs her head low and walks past without taking even a single glance at me. I always wished we'd be classmates even just once, so it'll be easier to approach her and befriend her, but I always end up in the same class with her roommate instead. Sigh... She only hangs around Suzy, but she never joins the latter's circle of friends. She's really heavily introverted, which more than often gets her misunderstood. But I know better... I know better.

No matter how cold she projects herself on the outside, there's warmth and kindness within her, which shows itself whenever she smiles, no matter how rare that occasion is. And I'm more than willing to help her emerge out of her icy shell, if she lets me. 

 

"Go for it once and for all, Ambro! " Key ruffled my hair and pushed me away.  Aissshh, really...

 

Now here I am, blankly staring at the folded piece of paper in my hands, knocking on her door. 

 

 

x-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------x

You're right, dear reader. (Wink!) :)