Chapter 4

Forever Inseparable

It has been a few years since the incident happened. It has been a few years since she has last talked to Eunhyuk, her ex-fiancée. Although it was never official that they broke off their engagement, it was clear enough when Eunhyuk walked away from the altar on their wedding day about 3 and a half years ago.

Although Heerin understands the reason why Eunhyuk acted the way he did, she couldn’t say that it doesn’t hurt her seeing the person she loves being stuck in a mental hospital. It hurts her seeing how much Eunhyuk is suffering and there’s nothing she could do about it.

Even though she hasn’t talked to Eunhyuk directly, she still prays for Eunhyuk’s mental stability and happiness.

Heerin recalls the first time she had to drive towards the mental hospital she was now heading at. She took a quick glance at the passenger seat before looking back at the road she was driving.

She remembers the day when she had to drive Eunhyuk to the mental hospital.

At that time, Eunhyuk already forgot who Heerin was and the only thing that Eunhyuk remembers about her is how she’s Donghae’s sister.

Heerin played along and didn’t force Eunhyuk to remember. She already had tears falling down from her face and quickly wiped them away with one hand as she drove with the other.

She remembered how Eunhyuk asked where they were going. She replied with a fake overly happy tone that they were going to meet her and Donghae’s parents.

Eunhyuk didn’t catch the lie and just smiled his infamous gummy smile. Heerin remembers how Eunhyuk went on and on about how he has never met the parents for the years that Eunhyuk and Donghae have been friends.

Heerin remembers how happy Eunhyuk looked like. Even though Eunhyuk forgot about their relationship, she would rather see him happy rather than depressed from recalling painful memories.

Eunhyuk's psychiatrist doesn't tell her much, but one of the things that the psyciatrist said, is how Eunhyuk has been struggling as the latter remembers the past, his forgotten memory.

Although she hasn't personally see for herself how much Eunhyuk is struggling, Heerin could only imagine the struggles that Eunhyuk has been facing. 

This wasn’t the first time Heerin visited Eunhyuk. Although she never got the chance to see Eunhyuk during her visits, she just wanted to hear if Eunhyuk had any progress. She still cares about Eunhyuk.

After a few moments of driving, Heerin arrived at her destination and parked at one of the empty spaces in the parking lot. She got out of her car and looked at the medium sized building in front of her.

She sighed and walked towards the entrance.

Once she was in, she walked at the main office and told the receptionist that she had an appointment with Dr. Shin. The receptionist told her that the doctor was currently with a patient and how she should wait until he’s available.

Heerin gave a nod and sat on one of the empty chairs in the main office.

A few minutes have passed, then an hour. About an hour and a half has passed when a slightly chubby person came in the room. She recognized the person as Dr. Shin. She got up from her seat and greeted the doctor.

“Hello Dr. Shin,” Heerin said.

“Hello Heerin-ssi. What brings you here today?” Dr. Shin said with a smile.

Heerin silently wonders how can Dr. Shin continue to smile in such a depressing place.

“Nothing doctor. I was just wondering how Eunhyuk has been and if there are any progress,” she replied.

“I see... I see. Well why don’t you follow me to my office and let’s talk there shall we?” he asked.

Heerin looked at Dr. Shin and followed him.

They walked out of the main office and walked a few minutes to a different room. Once Heerin saw the room, she saw certificates and diplomas on the wall on top of the desk and saw a therapy chair alongside another chair on the opposite side. Although the room only had a few furniture and objects, the room was big. The distance from the office desk and the therapy chair was slightly far.

“I’m sorry that there’s no other chair than the therapy couch in this room. If you want I could grab a chair from another room,” Dr. Shin offered.

Heerin declined and walked towards the therapy couch. She sat up straight at the edge of the therapy couch.

Dr. Shin smiled and said, “So what do you want to know? Like I told you before, there are limitations to what I can answer because of the doctor-patient confidentiality.”

Heerin nods her head and said, “I know. I would like to know if he’s making progress in terms of his recovery. I would also like to know if you know what is wrong with him and if he's still struggling as he recalls his memory.”

“I see,” Dr. Shin said as he moved his chair closer. “From the last time you visited, nothing has changed in terms of his disability. I still believe that he has psychogenic amnesia and psychogenic depression. He is slowly recalling his memories but there are things that he doesn't recall yet. In terms of struggling as he recalls his memories, that does still happen but it's becoming more frequent than before. Signs that show he has psychogenic amnesia is how he used to forget about Donghae, about his relationship with you, things that connect with the incident years ago. But now, he slowly remembers certain things and he’s understanding that he has a mental disability,” Dr. Shin explained.

“How does he show that he's struggling? Is he self-harming? Did he try a suicide attempt?” Heerin asked with a bit of hope in her.

“You asked me that the last time you came and my answer is the same. I’m sorry but I don’t think I can answer that,” Dr. Shin replied.

“Okay,” Heerin replied. She was disappointed with the doctor’s answer but asked another question instead, “How does he show psychogenic depression?”

“Psychogenic depression refers to major depressive episode which is usually accompanied with psychotic symptoms. Individuals with psychotic depression experience the symptoms of a major depressive episode along with one or more psychotic symptoms including delusions and/or hallucinations,” Dr. Shin began to say when Heerin interrupted him.

“So how does he show psychogenic depression? What delusions does he have?” Heerin asked.

“I’m sorry but I can’t tell you that,” Dr. Shin replied.

“How come you can’t tell me about his delusions but you can tell me about how he has psychogenic amnesia?” Heerin asked furiously. She didn’t raise her voice but she was slightly annoyed with how broken the information the doctor is giving her.

“I told you about how Eunhyuk has psychogenic amnesia because when we first met, you told me about what happened and I’m not telling you anything new. I’m just explaining how that symptom relates to his disability. Whereas the delusions and hallucinations that Eunhyuk is getting recently, are new to you. I can’t disclose new information to other people,” Dr. Shin explained calmly.

Heerin can’t believe how the doctor was being calm in a time like this but she also took a few moments to recollect her thoughts. “Okay,” she said as she took another breath. “What if he dies because of something you’re not telling me? I’m his fiancée,” she stated. “I mean ex fiancée,” she quickly added.

“I would inform you by then but as of now-” Dr. Shin began to say but was quickly interrupted by two of the psychiatric guards.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” one of the guards said.

“What is it Ryeowook,” Dr. Shin asked the guard who spoke.

“We lost Eunhyuk,” another guard replied.

“How can you lose a very unstable patient?” Dr. Shin replied. The doctor then turned towards Heerin again and said, “I’m sorry but I have to go.”

“I’m coming,” Heerin said quickly. “I’ll help look,” Heerin said quickly.

“I don’t think you-” Dr. Shin began to say when one of the guards interrupted again.

“We don’t have time doctor,” Ryeowook said.

“Okay,” Dr. Shin replied. “So where did you last saw him?” Dr. Shin asked.

“We last saw him inside his room. He said that he wanted to go to the washroom so we let go to the hallway to wait for us,” one of the two guards said.

“What happened next, Kyuhyun?” Dr. Shin asked.

“We let him go and turned towards his room to lock the door but when we turned back he was gone,” Ryeowook replied.

“Okay we have to hurry then,” Dr. Shin replied.

“Where are we going?” Kyuhyun asked.

“We’re going to the rooftop. Once during one of our sessions, he said that if could get a chance he would jump off the building. I thought that he was bluffing but that might be the best place to search for him,” Dr. Shin said.

Heerin didn’t mention how Dr. Shin said new information; she was just hoping that Eunhyuk was still alive.

Without anyone saying another word, the two guards led the way to the rooftop as Dr. Shin and Heerin followed behind them.

They ran for a few minutes and soon after, they reached the door to the rooftop.

“Do we go in?” Kyuhyun asked Dr. Shin.

Dr. Shin nods his head and opened the door. He tried catching his breath.

Before Dr. Shin could yell for Eunhyuk’s name, Heerin screamed, “Eunhyuk!”

Dr. Shin looked at Heerin and saw how the latter already had tears falling down her face. “Eunhyuk!” she yelled again.

The silhouette of the figure had a straitjacket around it. Everyone knew that it was Eunhyuk. He was now standing on the ledge of the rooftop and didn’t look back.

“Eunhyuk!” Heerin screamed once again. Heerin began to run towards Eunhyuk but before she could reach him, Eunhyuk’s body was already falling down the building.

Once Heerin reached the ledge where Eunhyuk used to be, she looked down the building and Eunhyuk’s body lay limp on the ground.