Chapter 2

Forever Inseparable

It was the first time that Heerin saw Eunhyuk since the latter left the church yesterday. After a few hours of searching for her runaway groom, she saw Eunhyuk at a park near her parent’s house.

Eunhyuk was idly watching some show. He didn’t move an inch or show a sign that he noticed Heerin’s presence.

"How are you feeling Hyuk?" Heerin asked as she approached Eunhyuk's side of the bed.

Eunhyuk turned away from the show he was watching and stared at Heerin blankly. After a few moments of silence and blankly staring at each other Eunhyuk said, "Hi..."

He forgot about the show he was watching as he looked around trying to look for something, or rather someone.

"Where's Donghae?" Eunhyuk asked Heerin. 

"What are you talking about Hyuk?" Heerin asked as she tried to stay strong. Just hearing her brother’s name makes her heart pound faster and not in a good way.

"Do you know Donghae?" Eunhyuk asked. "He was the guy with me earlier. He’s this tall and this big. Oh... And he has short brownish hair," Eunhyuk tried to explain. 

"What are you talking about Hyuk? My brother's gone," Heerin told Eunhyuk.

"Oh my gosh! So you're Donghae’s sister? Nice to meet you. No wonder you look so pretty, " Eunhyuk said as he extended his hand as he was about to shake Heerin's hand.

Heerin looked at Eunhyuk's hand and took it saying, "You don't remember me don't you?”

"Now that you mention it... yeah I do. I think I saw you during Donghae’s birthday a few weeks ago," Eunhyuk said as he flashed his infamous gummy smile. "So is Donghae okay? Why are we here? Did he injure himself while snowboarding?" Eunhyuk said.

"Hyuk... He's gone remember?" Heerin said as her emotional barriers fell when her tears began to fall.

It’s hard having her own fiancée not remembering her; it’s even harder when her fiancée thinks her dead brother is alive.


"Where did he go? That's so unlike him. He never leaves without me," Eunhyuk insisted.

"Hyuk.... He's dead. My brother’s dead," Heerin said as more tears fell from her face.

"No....that's impossible. I just talked to him this morning," Eunhyuk insisted. “He even recommended me to watch this show,” Eunhyuk explained.

Just then Eunhyuk's doctor came in and said, "Heerin-ssi, can you please come with me?"

As soon as they got out of the room, Heerin asked, "Doctor, what's wrong with Eunhyuk? How come he doesn't recognize me and he's looking for my dead brother? Is there anything wrong with him?"

"I don't know but if you want, we can examine him to see what's wrong. When you saw him yesterday, did he hit his head on something?" Dr. Cho asked.

"I just saw him in front of a park bench near my parent’s house and he was just lying there. I don’t think there was anything that could've hit him," Heerin told the doctor.

"I see... I see... He might've just fainted due to stress or other factors that was too much for him to handle. First let’s check how he's doing and go on from there," Dr. Cho suggested.

They both went back into Eunhyuk’s room and Dr. Cho said, "Hello Eunhyuk how are you feeling?"

"Hello doctor. I'm feeling okay," Eunhyuk responded.

"Does anything hurt? Is there anything else you can't remember?" Dr. Cho asked.

"What do you mean doctor? What am I supposed to remember?" Eunhyuk asked.

"Do you know why you're here?" Dr. Cho asked again.

Eunhyuk looked around confused and replied, "To be honest... No I don't. I don't remember."

"So what is the last thing you remember Eunhyuk?" Dr. Cho tried to ask.

"Donghae, Sungmin, Siwon, Ryeowook and I went snowboarding at Mount Alpines. The next thing I knew I'm here. Am I hurt?" Eunhyuk tried to recall. "Are they alright? They didn’t get hurt right? Maybe Donghae did since he at snowboarding but he's fine... right doctor?" Eunhyuk replied.

"I don't know Eunhyuk. How are you feeling? Do you feel hurt anywhere?" Dr. Cho asked.

"No.... I don't think so," Eunhyuk replied. "Can I see how Donghae’s doing? Where are my friends?" Eunhyuk asked again.

"Eunhyuk, would you please follow me? I would like to examine if there's something wrong with you," Dr. Cho said.

"Did I say something wrong?" Eunhyuk asked.

"Eunhyuk, how old are you and what year is it?" Dr. Cho didn’t answer and simply asked another question.

"I'm 18 doctor and its 2006," Eunhyuk replied cautiously.

“Excuse me,” Dr. Cho said to the nurse in charge as he got out of the room and told the nurse to prepare for an examination for Eunhyuk.

“Where’s Donghae?” Eunhyuk shouted suddenly. “I already asked you before, so why doesn’t anyone answer me,” he asked in frustration.

Heerin stopped crying and approached Eunhyuk. She gently massaged his back and whispered soothing words.

“Hyuk... sweetie. Please calm down,” Heerin said as he continued to Eunhyuk’s back.

“Aaahhh... Where is he? I can’t leave him alone. He gets mad when he’s alone. Where is Donghae,” Eunhyuk yelled again.

Just then, the doctor came in and he said, “The room’s ready. We’re going to have you examined and we’ll see what’s wrong.”

“Where is Donghae? Let me see him,” Eunhyuk screamed. “I need to see him,” he insisted.

Dr. Cho ignored Eunhyuk’s tantrum and said, “Eunhyuk... please follow me. I would like to see if there is something we should monitor.”

Eunhyuk didn’t move an inch and said, “I need to see Donghae again. He visited me this morning and I just want to see how he’s doing. Is that bad?”

 “Come on... please follow me to the examination room to see if there is anything else that we should monitor,” Dr. Cho said.

“Show me Donghae first. I need to see him,” Eunhyuk said.

“Eunhyuk... please. We need to examine you. Please follow me,” Dr. Cho said.

Eunhyuk said a few words that no could hear clearly. But without any other protest, he got up and followed Dr. Cho.

After about an hour of examining Eunhyuk, he was sent back to his room while Heerin was asked to meet Dr. Cho privately, without Eunhyuk.

“Is Eunhyuk okay Dr. Cho? Is there anything wrong with him?” Heerin asked.

“All the test results appear to be fine. There weren’t any internal injuries that require immediate medical attention. However, what seems to be the problem is that he thinks that we are still in the year 2006. I’m not sure but I believe that he is experiencing a type of amnesia called psychogenic amnesia. It’s when the brain experience memory loss due to trauma and stress.  Is there anything traumatic that happened recently that could result to this?” Dr. Cho asked Heerin.

“My brother, Donghae, died a few days ago. They used to date and my brother loved him so much. We didn’t know until the day after my brother’s death, which was also our wedding day. When Eunhyuk fainted, it was when he left the church and went to the park near my parent’s house,” Heerin explained as tears of her own began to gather at the corner of her eyes.

“If that’s the case, there’s nothing we can do. There must be some other connection to your brother’s death that we don’t know about. There must be something that caused Eunhyuk so much distress that his brain was forced to forget certain parts to protect himself. He may or may not remember things that he forgot but it would be best to not force Eunhyuk to remember something too much or else memories and information would come back all at once and in return, causing too much shock to the patient. It’s advisable for Eunhyuk to be admitted to another hospital where he can speak to a psychiatrist and be monitored for his actions because on top of not remembering certain things, he mentioned earlier how Donghae visited him. It seems like he’s imagining things and it would be best if he is able to get psychiatric help to deal with a loss of a loved one,” Dr. Cho explained to Heerin.

After Dr. Cho had his conversation with Heerin, they went back to Eunhyuk’s room and the latter was being quiet. He wasn’t yelling or causing trouble, he was just sitting upright, watching the television.

“Hey... Donghae just stopped by to see if I was fine. He told me he was fine and that I shouldn’t worry too much. He can’t leave me. That boy loves me too much,” Eunhyuk said with a smile. “So... there’s nothing wrong right? I can go home now?” Eunhyuk asked.

“I would like you to receive psychiatric therapy. It seems like you don’t remember certain things like what your relationship with Heerin is, Donghae’s death, and the year. We’re already in the year 2013 and you’re not 18 anymore,” Dr. Cho explained.

“I told you Donghae is alive. I just talked to him. Why don’t you listen?” Eunhyuk was shouting now.

“Call Eunhyuk’s parents and inform them that Eunhyuk needs to be admitted as soon as possible,” Dr. Cho told Heerin.

“Admit him where?” Heerin asked as tears started to form once again.

Although Heerin is afraid to hear Dr. Cho’s answer, she tried to be strong as she tried to hold back her tears.

“He needs to be admitted to another hospital to seek psychiatric help,” Dr. Cho said.