Chapter 1

Forever Inseparable

Dum...dum...da...dum...dum...dum...da...dum...


For tonight’s news at 6, a man’s body was found dead in the park. Police investigated the scene of the crime and the body was found a few centimeters from one of the park benches. A wedding invitation and pocket knife was found around the scene of the incident.


Dum...dum...da...dum...dum...dum...da...dum...
 

I stare at Heerin Noona, the woman I love, in front of me and I feel nothing, numb. I try to smile but it turns as a grimace. I see her smile at me. I stare back at her and try to return the smile. It wasn’t a genuine smile.


Dum...dum...da...dum...dum...dum...da...dum...


Since the body was first found, the investigators have done an autopsy of the body and found these results. The body was first found around 5:46 in the morning in the park. No one was around to witness but the person who reported the dead body claims that he body was already dead when they saw it. There have been cuts all over the body. The cuts were reported to be found in the wrist, arms, and legs. Some cuts were deep while others weren’t. However, the investigators believe the real cause of death of this young man was from the loss of blood and from the stab the investigators found pierced in the heart.


Dum...dum...da...dum...dum...dum...da...dum...


As Heerin Noona gets closer and closer, my mind gets farther and farther.  I try to focus my mind and think of the woman I love, but I hear nothing except for the female newscaster’s voice. I hear nothing but the constant reminder of your death. I hear the report in my head instead of the voices of the guests' light chatter around me.


Dum...dum...da...dum...dum...dum...da...dum...
 

The day you died, replays on my mind even on my wedding day. The face that you had was peaceful, serene. The day that you died was because I let go of your hand. Letting someone go is hard when the person passes because you let go.
 

Dum...dum...da...dum...dum...dum...da...dum...
 

Today’s the day, I’m about to be wed. Today’s the day, I’m letting go. Now my tears are falling down, never endless my tears will fall. Donghae, you’ll always be my first love, but you are not my only love. Today’s not the day to be bound for love. But time will tell and heal all wounds. Your wounds will never heal, but the scars will forever remain. You’ll always be inside my heart; you’ll forever be a memory to keep. Even if you’re not here with me, forever is just the distance from you to me.
 

Dum...dum...da...dum...dum...dum...da...dum...
 

As my bride is coming closer, more tears fall down. She’s already close to me and she sees my tears. She’s only a few steps away from me, as she reaches out and wipes the tears away from my face. She offers a genuine smile. And I can’t help but smile back with a heavy heart. Heerin Noona knows how I feel. 

She whispers in my ear, “I know.” I know that she knows that although my heart belongs to her, my mind is with her dead brother, my first love, Donghae.
 

Dum...dum...da...dum...dum...dum...da...dum...
 

She finally reached the altar and smiled once again as she took her place next to mine. Although her face had tears of her own, she still smiled my favorite smile, her genuine smile. I faced her and wiped away her tears. “I’m sorry,” I said as I wiped away her tears.


The wedding march stopped playing as we both faced the priest with teary eyes. The priest was about to start the wedding ceremony when I stepped forward and gave Heerin Noona one last glance. “I’m sorry,” I mouthed again.


I saw her nod as I proceeded and said, “I object.”


The whole church became chaotic as I heard the loud whispers of the guests behind me.


“I’m sorry,” I started to say to our friends and family. “But the wedding is canceled,” I said with more tears falling to my face as I ran away from the altar, from my bride and from my love.


I run away from the church and I run away from my love. I don’t know where I’m going but my feet have a mind of its own. I run as fast as I can. Before I noticed it, I was already there. I don’t know why I’m here, but I am.


I am standing in the park we broke up. I am standing in front of the bench we had our last conversation. I am standing in front of the bench I last saw you... 5 years ago.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered at park filled with children playing in the back.
 
I tried to catch my breath and breathed in deeply. I looked at the empty bench but being here again on my wedding day was weird... unusual.
 
“I don’t know what to say other than I’m sorry. I loved you Hae. I really did. But why...” I began to say to the park bench in front of me.
 
Tears began to form again and my exhausted body slumped onto the ground. I fell on the ground staring at the bench, almost expecting a reply from it.

“Hae... I really don’t know what else to say,” I yelled louder as my heart became heavy with guilt, heavy with emotions. 
 

People were starting to look my way but I don’t care.


"I love you Hae. I learned that it’s not like I love Heerin Noona more than you. But rather, I love you in a different way. I love you as a friend, as my brother.  I love you so much Hae but now that you’re gone, I don’t know what to do," I continued to say but in a softer tone.
 

“It’s true that I fell out of love with you.  But that doesn’t mean I don’t love you anymore. It just means that I lost the romantic love I once felt and it turned to the type of love as a brotherhood type of love,” Eunhyuk conversed with the park bench. “It’s true that I love Heerin Noona, but I also love you Hae. I thought that I can forget you, but I still love you. I love you so much Hae, just not in the same way,” Eunhyuk tried to reason with the park bench.


I stared at the bench again. I don’t know why but I’m half expecting you to come out from the tree behind the bench and say "Miss me Hyuk?" but I know that will never happen and that you’ll never come back.

"Even if we couldn’t be together, I wished we stayed as friends. When you ignored my texts, my calls, and any contact whatsoever, I felt like I just lost my brother. When I found out through the news about your death, I was devastated,” Eunhyuk told the bench. “When I said we should break up, I never knew that it would come to this. I never knew I would lose you forever. Now I don’t know what I’ll do. Hae please...” I continued as I half pleaded with the empty bench. "Please Hae... Please come back," I whispered silently.

There’s nothing that I can say to turn things around. There’s nothing I can do to bring you back. There’s nothing I can do to be forgiven.

My love for you is endless. It has and will always be. But my love for you and your love for me are in two different ways. I just can’t give you the love that you deserve.

I made and unreasonable request and said, "come back,” until there was nothing.