Squadron 9

Dependence

Seohyun woke up to the sound of a loud crash of thunder outside her window. She shuddered and covered herself with her blanket, afraid. She was all alone in the small unstable house of hers, and she was scared for her life... just like any other stormy day. 

There was a knock at the door. Seohyun stared for a while. The knock was louder, but now she could hear it clearly. It was that same secret knock that she and her friend made up so they knew it was each other at the door. Seohyun ran for the knob and opened the door a crack.

"Hey, you're awake! Are you alright?" He was dripping wet, holding a newspaper above his head.

Seohyun nodded shakily and let the boy inside. He was a trusted companion, and knew all of Seohyun's secrets. Basically, he was her best friend.

The boy pulled Seohyun down on the couch and gave her a hug. "I'm glad you're okay... you need anything?"

"I-I just need you to stay here with me..." The boy smiled.

"Of course I will... Don't worry one bit."

"Y-Yongwha," Seohyun started, "Thank you so much..."

"Hey, it's not like this is the first time... you can count on me." Yongwha pulled a stray hair from Seohyun's face, "Now tell me, I heard you are being assigned to a squadron tomorrow? Or rather, later today?" Yongwha checked the clock. 2 a.m.

"Yes... I hope they're nice."

"I'm sure they'll like you. I mean, there's no reason why they wouldn't." She smiled.

"Thank you... but... I'm not used to this. You're the only friend I have..."

"Not for long... I'm not so sure that I like the idea of sharing you though," he teased.

Seohyun blushed. This would be a lot less terrifying with her best friend there with her.


Jessica sat at her desk, surrounded by all her fans, as usual. She just sat there, a look of indifference plastered on her face. Seriously... I need some space.

Taeyeon snuck a look behind her. Stupid jerk... can't even appreciate what she's got... if I had what she had, I'd be on top of the world...

Tiffany entered the classroom, walking alone. She placed her books down on a desk and sat down. Taeyeon took notice.

"H-hey! Fany!" Tiffany looked over.

"Don't call me that."

"Oh, sorry. So Tiffany, you want to sit with me today?"

"No thanks..."

"B-but..." Tiffany pushed her attention on her novel.

Taeyeon dropped her head. Man... what is it going to take for anyone to notice me...

Sunny nervously walked into the room. I hope I'm in a group with her... dang it, I hate the way I am around her... I feel so stupid. Why can't I-

"Hey, Soonkyu!" Sunny jumped, dropping her books on the floor. Taeyeon rushed to pick them up. 

"Oh, sorry! Did I scare you?" Taeyeon placed the books back in Sunny's arm. Sunny cringed at the contact. She swallowed.

"Y-yeah, but it's ok. The bell's going to ring soon... I better sit down." She started to leave, but Taeyeon stopped her. 

"Why don't you sit with me today? I have two empty seats next to me..." Taeyeon frowned at the lack of people wanting to be near her.

"Um..." Sunny felt an arm seize her. She turned around. It was Jessica.

"Sunny, I've got to talk to you. Come sit with me today," Jessica pulled Sunny out of Taeyeon's grip and started to pull her away.

"H-hey! You have like, 5 other people wanting to sit with you. I don't have anyone! Let me sit with her!" Taeyeon went to grab Sunny's hand, but ended up (naturally) on her... backside.

"Eeep!" Thud.


"Dude you freaking killed her again..."

"I did not!"

"And you invaded her personal space... byuntae."

"H-hey! I am not a-"

"BYUNTAE."

"Err- sto-"

"Hey, Kim-Byun. Sit down. Class is about to start." Jessica smirked. She usually would never act so childish, but she couldn't resist. She headed to her seat.

Taeyeon went to pick Sunny up. "Hmph. Can't even assist your own friend," Taeyeon placed her on the chair next to her. BoA walked in, and everyone greeted her politely. She was at the top of SMAgency after all.

"Everyone, I'm happy to say that you have all passed your final exams... yes, even you, Taeyeon." The room chuckled. Taeyeon sunk down in her chair, giving BoA a dirty look. 

"Now, finally, I'd like to announce your squadrons! I'm sorry to say that not all of you are present today, but that will be okay. You will get to meet with them in your dorms. There will be lists at the eastern bulletin board. Go ahead and look."

Everyone rushed over to the board, scanning for their names. Most people seemed satisfied, except for a few certain kids.

Taeyeon's face contorted into many different expressions. I get to be in a squad with Tiffany but... I have to deal with that Jung as well...

Jessica rolled her eyes. Do I really need to be in a group? Why can't I go solo? They're just going to hold me back...

They turned to face each other. "You better stay out of my way," they said, at the exact same time.

Tiffany approached the bulletin board.

A group of nine agents? That's quite a bit... Tiffany thought. ASSAH! Jessica's in my squad! Tiffany's heart jumped, excited to be finally able to do something with Jessica. I won't disappoint. I'm gonna impress her someday.


BoA was grouping up everyone, calling the according agents to their squads so they could receive their keys to their dorms. Yes, the teammates were to live in the same quarters to get to know each other better. It was a sort of teamwork building operation.

"Group 9! Kim Taeyeon, Jung Jessica, Hwang Stephanie, Jo Seo Hyun, Choi Sooyoung, and Lee Soonkyu, come receive your keys," BoA called.

"Ma'am, I thought there were nine of us? Where are the other three?" Tiffany asked.

"They're on a mission at the moment. Retrieving some weapons from a cargo truck down south. They should be here in a few days. In the meantime, get to know the few of you first. Nine is a large number or people. Start off slow."

"Yes Ma'am." BoA then left to assist Squad 10. 

Taeyeon especially was happy about this arrangement... at least she wouldn't be living alone any longer... Maybe... just maybe... the lonliness won't be a problem anymore... She thought as she grabbed her key. Jessica stepped in to speak.

"We can save the introductions at the dorm. Let's settle down first and then get acquainted."

Seohyun nodded to herself and checked the note written on her hand. I know they'll love you. I'll see you at the Agent Bank Exams. Hwaiting! <3 -Yongwha

She smiled. She felt secure now. She lifted her head and walked off with the rest of the group. I can do this... This is the start of a whole new journey.


Click

The door swung open. The apartment was spacey, there were a few windows and five bedrooms. It was furnished, with everyone's belongings already arranged. Meaning that they already had roomates assigned.

Before finding out who their roommates were, they all sat in a circle in the living room.

"Alright! I want to go first! My name is Kim Taeyeon. I'm going to do my best for you guys, and hopefully we can make it far together... so let's do our best." She smiled widely and scratched her neck. The rest of the girls just stared blankly at her, not reacting... the silence was awkward. 

Taeyeon sunk down and frowned at the floor. I guess even my own teammates hate me too... what would I expect? Psh. I was foolish to even hope that- Taeyeon felt a hand on hers. It was caressing it, slowly and hesitantly, but in a way, comforting as well.

"U-um..." she swallowed. "I know you will, Taeyeonnie... I believe in you."  Taeyeon smiled out of appreciation. At least she pities me...

"Thanks, Soonkyu," Taeyeon patted Sunny's back in a friendly manner. 


"So is that everyone?" Jessica asked, "Oh, right. Maknae, introduce yourself."

"O-oh..." Seohyun twiddled her fingers. 

"Don't be shy... we're all family now," Sunny smiled. Seohyun still seemed uncomfortable. She looked at her hand again and sighed.

"My name is Jo Seo Hyun, but you can call me Seohyun. I've always lived by myself, so I'm glad to get the opportunity to live with a new family. So thank you, very much... This experience really means a-a lot..." Seohyun couldn't look anyone in the eyes. She expected an indifferent or unfavorable reaction. Instead, she felt... comforted. 

Seohyun looked up to see all her unnies giving her a group hug. 

"Seohyun-a, we'll take good care of you, don't worry. We're family now... and that means that we will be here for you, through thick and thin. That's a promise. And I never go back on my promises." Taeyeon's words poured out of her. Everyone was surprised by the maturity of Taeyeon's words. She's been through a lot, I can tell. I'll keep her safe. I am the oldest after all. I'll make sure she doesn't go through half the crap I've been through...

"Thank you unnies..." Seohyun felt like tearing up. Never before had she felt so much support by this many people. She always relied heavily on Yongwha, and she felt sorry for that. Now, she didn't have to live feeling as a burden anymore.

"Alright, alright... e-enough of this sappy stuff... let's get ready for bed... we have a long day ahead of us," Jessica got up and headed out of the circle to find the room with her stuff unpacked. 

"She's right... let's go. Goodnight, girls," Taeyeon smiled. Again, no response. Everyone just scattered. Seohyun, however, did give her a nervous smile. Better than nothing... 

Taeyeon walked around the apartment. She passed by Jessica and Sooyoung's room. "Not here, stupid. I'm sharing with Sooyoung," Jessica smirked. Fine... didn't want to share with you, anyway...

Taeyeon passed by an empty room. She scanned the area. My lugage isn't here... Yoona and Yuri must be staying here... 

Taeyeon approached another room. She saw Seohyun, reading a novel. "Seohyun-a, am I staying here?"

"I'm afraid not, unnie... I'm sharing with Hyoyeon unnie. She's one of the agents that's out today... sorry..." 

"Oh, that's fine, Seohyun-a... I'll leave you to your reading. Goodnight..."

"Goodnight, unnie."

Taeyeon was thinking. Well I guess this is good news for me! Looks like I'll be staying with Tiffany... She reached Tiffany's room. She was alone. Yes! Things are looking up. "Tiffany," Taeyeon said excitedly, "Looks like I'm your new roomate!" Tiffany looked up.

"You're not staying here. You're luggage isn't even in this room," Tiffany said in a monotone. She couldn't help but feel a little guilty though. She moved Taeyeon's things out of her room so she wouldn't have to deal with the so-called "troublesome delinquient." Tiffany was a genuine person, though she didn't want to take any chances, knowing Taeyeon's reputation and family.

"Oh... sorry for bothering you then. I'll leave you be then..." Taeyeon sadly left the room. She was surprised to see her luggage in the hallway. Someone must have kicked me out... I should have known this would have happened... She grabbed her things and walked around with no real purpose. Looks like I've got no room...


1:00 a.m. Taeyeon stared at the clock, unable to go to sleep. She was upset. She was crying, even. Even my new family won't even accept me... 

Taeyeon wiped her nose after hearing some footsteps. They got closer and closer. She tried composing herself. 

"What's wrong?"

"Oh, y-you actually care?" Taeyeon said inbetween sniffs.

"O-oh... I'm sorry..." Taeyeon looked up at the person talking. She realized her mistake.

"No, I'm sorry... No I'm not okay... I don't have a room."

"E-everyone should have a roommate."

"Apparently I got kicked out of my assigned room."

"I'm sorry... well..." Sunny's face started gradually turning red, "I-I don't have a roommate, since there's an odd number of us... You could stay with me if you'd like..." Sunny forgot about a crucial factor. "W-well, if it's okay with you... I wasn't supposed to have a roommate, so there's only one bed..."

Taeyeon was touched by the action. "Thank you so much Soonkyu..." Taeyeon got up and hugged the blushing girl. "I mean, we're both pretty small. We can fit! Let's go, I'm so tired."

After getting ready for sleep and changing into a night gown with light shorts underneath, she climbed into bed. Sunny was already asleep. Taeyeon stared at her. 

I wonder why she'd let me stay with her... That was nice. Taeyeon liked the feeling of having someone close to her when she was sleeping. She never experienced having parents, so she didn't get the chance to cuddle or sleep with anyone before. She started getting curious. I wonder if she'd mind... Taeyeon slowly slipped her arms around Sunny's waist, holding her tight from behind. Sunny shifted into a comfortable position naturally. I sure did miss out on a lot without parents... Sunny started moving again. Oh, no I better let go... She turned around, but didn't wake up like Taeyeon expected. Instead, she s her arms around Taeyeon's waist, copying the action that Taeyeon did as well. Taeyeon stayed in a state of surprise. She smiled. At least I can count on someone when I need them.