Goodbye

Dependence

"Kill them."

Jisook was the first to jump the group. She was extremely fast, and contacted with Jessica easily. She wasn't strong enough to knock her out, but she was able to stun her for a bit.

"Go on," Hyomin commanded. Sunny turned towards Taeyeon, pale eyes reflecting no emotion. In a flash she was in front of her, pulling back her fist.

Everything was in slow motion for Taeyeon. A million and one things racing her mind. Before she could even start thinking about raising her arms to defend herself, Sunny already punched her clean in the face.

"Oof!" Taeyeon fell a few feet away, tumbling on the ground, dust flying everywhere. Her hand found her cheek, revealing red streaks of blood. Did she... really just get hurt by Sunny?

To her left, Max, Seohyun, Sooyoung, and Hyoyeon were all trying to get Jisook away from Jessica. She had been kicked and punched brutally, and Jessica was out cold. Jisook herself was extremely strong, holding off three of her other members and a grown man-not to mention a man with years of experience in combat.

Just when Taeyeon looked forward, Sunny was already on top of her, ready to deliver her next assult. Her foot swung, and Taeyeon again could not process what was happening. 

...

In a flash, she was sent flying the opposite direction. Tiffany threw her away while Yoona and Yuri blocked Sunny's kick. Even with their combined strength, Yoona and Yuri were thrown back, almost stumbling off of the cliff. 

As Tiffany ran back to deal with Sunny, Taeyeon was still sitting, dumbfounded of what was happening before her eyes.

Tiffany was not a good hand-to-hand combattallion, and she would stand no chance up against a bulky Sunny, especially when it wasn't hard for her to fight them. Each and every member was struggling deep inside, not wanting to fight their fellow teammate. Sunny, however, wasn't even aware of what she was doing. This way, she went all out as if she was fighting someone she despised.

A swift impact to the stomach, and Tiffany was coughing up blood. 

"T-Taeyeon! Get up!" she yelled, dodging the next blow.

She was paralyzed-she just couldn't get herself to attack Sunny, no matter how hard she tried.

"Tae-!" another instance of contact-this time to the small of her back.

Tiffany was on her knees, the last hit luckily throwing her far away from Sunny, giving her some time to recover and speak.

"She...she's not the Sunny we know! You can't stand down now!" Taeyeon's eyes were widening even larger, her shock becoming her.

"I know it's hard! But we can't just do nothing! She will kill us now if you don't defend yourself! Ah-!" 

Sunny had ran towards Tiffany, prepared to deliver another kick. Thankfully Yoona and Yuri were there in time to block the shot yet again, but their arms were on fire-one of them had at least broken a finger or sprained a wrist.

Soonkyu. Her mind echoed.

Don't tell me this is true.

You... want to kill us... Kill me?

Taeyeon gritted her teeth. "Soonkyu!" she yelled at the top of her lungs.


Jessica's head was throbbing. What the hell...? She shakily stood, holding her balance. Another impact was coming her way, but being as skilled as she was, blocked it in time. She swung her hand to rid of the pain. Damn that hurt. 

Seohyun came in next, this time on the offensive. With her massive strength, she used all her force to deliver a blow to Jisook's face. It was blocked, of course, but she was able to send her flying off the cliff.

A loud thud was heard, and Seohyun stood, eyes wide afraid of what she had just done. She approached the edge of the cliff, looking down.

A screech resonated throughout the air, and Jisook was rushing up the side of the cliff, terrifying Seohyun to a point that she could not move.

With a reversal, Seohyun was now spiraling out of control down the side of the cliff, hitting rocks as she fell.

"Seohyun!" Jessica screamed, grabbing a grapling hook and immediately rushing to keep Seohyun from her immediate death. 

She swung down, arms wide. Seohyun was unconscious, and it would be extremely difficult to haul her back up. 

"Oof!" Jessica caught her, struggling to manage and adjust the added body weight with the grapling hook. Eventually Jessica spotted a clearing on the low side of the mountain and let go of the grappling hook, tumbling as she landed. 


Something snapped in Sunny. Ugh... S...Soonkyu...? She grabbed her head, crouching to the ground. 

"Soonkyu! I know you! The last thing you'd want to do is hurt us! Please, you're still in there somewhere! You remember me? Taengoo?!" 

She was panting, grasping the dirt at her feet. In the recesses of her mind, she knew something was familiar; that this 'Taengoo' was someone significant.

Taeyeon got closer, wobbling towards the girl kneeling on the floor. Taking all the courage she could build, Taeyeon took Sunny by the neck, forcing her to look her in the eyes.

This was not the Sunny she expected to see.

Taeyeon could not even see her reflection. Sunny's eyes, however, reflected something else. They reflected the emptiness of her mind, of her heart. Taeyeon wanted to cry. She was lost. This person was just a shell of a person she once loved.

Sniffling, Taeyeon felt the need to speak. 

"S-soonkyu..." she took a breath, "I know you're in there. Please... wake up. This is quite enough... Y-you're my best friend, please don't leave me alone..."

The pale-eyed girl stared blankly into the elder's eyes, unable to move or respond. Taeyeon gave her time. Holding this person right here and right now was the ultimate comfort. Sunny was safe. She may be lost, but she was safe.

"I think you've had enough time to say you're goodbyes," Hyomin grabbed Sunny by her collar, pulling her back into her arms. 

In that split second that she was pulled away, Taeyeon noticed something. Something that gave her hope.

In Sunny's irises, there was a slight dissolvement of the purple hue, changing ever so slightly to brown. As soon as she was back with Hyomin, however, that instantaneously vanished, and Sunny's eyes were as lost and empty as they were a minute ago. 

There's a chance...

"Jisook!" Hyomin yelled. Jisook, who was in the middle of fighting Max, Yoona, Yuri, and Tiffany, stopped immediately. She rushed to Hyomin's side.

"I think that'll be a good warning to you," Hyomin lowers her head to face Taeyeon, "Don't come looking for her again. She's mine now, not yours."

Taeyeon clenched her fist. "Soonkyu is not just some property that belongs to anyone!" She swung her fist to punch Hyomin, but was stopped by a clean kick to the face, by none other than Sunny. She rolled in the direction that her team was, lying by their feet. They helped her stand.

Sunny seemed to look back at them all, but quickly whipped her head forward and leaped into the trees, disappearing with Hyomin and Jisook.

"S-Soonkyu! Don't go!" Taeyeon tried running after them, but she was hurt too badly to proceed. She tripped and fell within seconds.

By the time they were out of sight, Jessica climbed up the side of the cliff with the Maknae in tow.

She fell to her knees, looking at the angry-teared Taeyeon. She knew Sunny was gone now. Heart aching, she wobbly stood and started walking.

"W-where are you going?" Tiffany called.

"Home."

"You're gonna let them get awa-"

"What's the use?!" Jessica's voice silenced all that was around her, "She's gone. She...she doesn't care about us-you, or...m-me. She tried to kill us. Did you see her eyes? Sunny... isn't Sunny anymore. She's not the girl I once knew... I-it's been too long, searching for her and ending up with this mess. It's time to say goodbye to...her."

"No," Taeyeon looked at Jessica, "You saw her, Jessica. You know that she's not being herself-she's not aware of what she's doing! Soonkyu doesn't hate us, she's still in there-you know that yourself, Jessica! Why are you lying to yourself?"

Jessica looked hesitantly back, afraid she would let something slip, "I-I'm not lying to myself. She's gone, Taeyeon! Stop bringing your hopes up! She's not coming back, and she definitely doesn't want to be back either..."

"No, you're wrong! I'll bring her back! She'll be the girl we once knew, I promise that!" she yelled, clenching her fist. She tried getting up to face Jessica, but fell to her knees coughing. 

"Maybe so," Max spoke up, "but not now. Jessica is on the right track. We need to get home so you can all rest. Look at yourselves, you're all tired and beaten. Let's head back... maybe we can work this out another day."

"But-"

"No, we are going back. Look at Seohyun and Tiffany-they're in horrible condition, not to mention Yuri and Yoona's hand injuries. It's imperative that we go back."

Defeated, Taeyeon drooped her head and stared at the rocks by her knees. 


Sitting at home, Taeyeon rubbed alcohol on her abrasions. Gritting her teeth, she sighed heavily. 

She put the cotton wipe away and grabbed a pencil, scribbling notes on a piece of paper. I saw her eyes... she's not gone yet. 

She circled and underlined her writings as she read them over once more. 

1. Soonkyu has no reluctance in injuring us

2. Soonkyu responds only when I called her by her real name

3. When she is responsive, physical contact can urge her to come back to reality

4. Her eyes were lavender and Jisook's were light blue. Hyomin's eyes are green. Find out more about the meanings behind the different eye colors

5. GET SOONKYU BACK

6. Get Tiffany to fall in love with you

Taeyeon waved air on her wounds to dry the alcohol. She collapsed back on her bed, stretching her arms upwards and reaching for a pillow to hug, missing the body that once shared the bed with her. 

The coldness consumed her, and the lonliness made her feel empty. She turned off the light and plugged in her headphones, selecting a random song from her playlist. 

I won't say goodbye to you, Soonkyu. Even if I'm alone, I won't give up on you. Wait for me to get there. I'll be stronger than ever, and save you. This is my promise. Please fight to stay yourself-when I find you, I expect you to be the same... I wasn't the best friend to you, and I am so sorry about that. It's one of my biggest regrets... Clenching her fist, she shut her eyes tighter. Don't leave me here without you. Now that you're gone... I've realized how much I need you. But I won't cry. Not now. Right now, my energies will go to you. I'll be there soon to stand by you once again.

As hard as Taeyeon tried, a tear slipped out of her eye. She cursed herself silently.

I-I miss you! She hugged her pillow tighter. Even if I'm alone... I won't stop. Not until you're back in my arms again. 

She smacked her pillow, upset that it wasn't Sunny, and eventually drifted off to sleep.