3 ★

Constant as the stars above

 

Upon opening my eyes, I noticed that Yoona was nowhere in sight.

“Where could she be?” I wondered, crawling out of bed and walking towards the bathroom to wash myself, not wanting to leave any trails of saliva on my face. Heading downstairs and still half asleep, I lazily walked towards the dining room since everyone was probably already having breakfast.

Upon entering the room, my eyes widened, seeing everyone dressed so formally while I was still in my Mickey Mouse pjs. I took the unoccupied seat beside Yoona who immediately nudged my sides, giving me one of her deadly glares.

“Didn’t you see my note?” She whispered “The one I left on the end table?”

I shook my head and replied. “No”

“Well, were having breakfast with the man today. Mrs. Song told me that he’s someone important.”

Upon hearing that, I looked around, trying to figure out who the man was.

“He’s the man on Mrs. Song’s left” Yoona said.

Looking towards that direction, I was stunned to see such a handsome man which made my jaw slightly drop. He was probably a year older than me and I could say that he was tall, probably a six footer upon seeing how long his torso was. Looking into his eyes would probably bring you to another dimension and the expression on his face as people talked to him made me chuckle. Did he always pull off that face? I was unaware that the man was looking at me as well with a confused expression on his face until Yoona brought me back to reality.

“He’s looking at you” Yoona squealed which made me lower my head, directing my attention somewhere else. After breakfast, I decided to go to the market alone, leaving Yoona at the orphanage. I used Mrs. Song’s bike to go there, enjoying the breeze that blew past me and the view was just breath taking. Upon arriving there, I went to every store, buying anything that interest me and at the end of my shopping spree, I was already carrying 14 paper bags filled with different kinds of fruit, meats and other things.

“How am I supposed to bring these bags to the orphanage?” I wondered, wanting to slap myself for forgetting that the bike didn’t have a basket and if ever it did, I still won’t be able to bring these bags. Sitting on a bench nearby, I dialled Yoona’s number but there was no answer. “Yaaaaaaaaaaaahh!”

All I could do at this time was sit here and wait for some kind of miracle to happen. Checking my watch for the time again, I saw that I have been waiting here for almost an hour now. I suddenly felt something drop on my shirt, making that spot slightly wet and looking up at the sky; I saw a few more rain drops falling. Eventually I got soaked in the rain and tugging on my hair, I laid down on the bench, not caring what other people may think. Actually, I was the only person left here since everyone closed their shops, rushing towards the homes and being the kid that I am, I started singing the nursery song “Rain Rain go away”

Rain Rain go away

Come again another day

As I was singing, a black BMW pulled over in front of the bench that I was lying on which made me sit up from my position. A man in a suit who looked like a body guard stepped out of the vehicle, holding an umbrella in his hand and walked towards me.

“Miss, please step in” The man said, using the umbrella to shield us from the rain.

I blinked at the man, terrified that he might kidnap me or something. “I don’t even know who you are” I said, slowly backing away.

“Don’t be afraid, I work for Mr. Wu.” The man chuckled “I believe he had breakfast with you earlier?”

“The man” I thought, accepting the man’s offer and stepped inside the car.

Upon stepping inside, the man was looking at me with wide eyes, eyeing me from head to toe.

“Why are you soaking yourself in the rain?” He asked, removing his coat and handed it to me.

“I didn’t have a ride home and I couldn’t call my friend” I said, accepting the coat and used it to cover my shivering body.

Everyone remained silent for the whole duration of the car ride. Mr. Wu’s attention was focused on the scenery outside while I couldn’t stop fiddling with my hair out of nervousness. Out of the blue, I softly sang my lullaby to entertain myself.

 

Constant as the stars above

Always know  that you are loved

 

I was shocked to hear someone singing along and looking at my side, I saw that it was Mr. Wu. This was actually the first time I saw this man smiling and I was dying to know how he found out about my lullaby.

“How did you know that song?”

Just by asking that one question, his expression immediately dropped and I felt his walls coming back up.

“It’s just a distant memory now” He said, looking out the window once again and went back to his own little world. 

--

Subbies, Enjoy ^^