003

Transient

Because big things start sfrom something small

Himchan never thought that listing things would be fun. He filled the front of the paper already, and yet he still could think of more activities to do before his time is up. He listed just about everything that he’s seen on the television, things like sky-diving, bike-riding, going to concerts, eating the tall ice cream that a character had in a drama, putting a lock on the Namsan Tower, hug someone randomly, get his hair dyed in a flashy color, and the spontaneous ideas just kept going on and on.

 

He giggled at the thought of completing all of it. All he needs his time and money (Well, he thought that since his life has been cut short, his parents would probably allow him to get some cash. He hoped they would agree to this whim of his.).  He checked the clock and it read eleven o’clock sharp.  Just how long was he onto this whole listing thing? He figured that maybe he should catch some sleep so that his parents won’t worry just in case they pay a surprise visit.  He sets the pen and paper inside the drawer of the bedside table and then.

 

Knock. Knock. Knock.

 

Who in the right mind would pay him a visit in such an ungodly time? Himchan initially thought he’d ignore it, but then again, it might be his parents, or a nurse. He let out a small breath and then the door opened. He expected it to be his mom, but then the shadow’s figure was way different to be his mother’s. It was a tall silhouette emerging from the shadows and Himchan squinted, trying to see clearly. The man was walking so gently and when the man finally peered from the side of the small hall from the door, Himchan just gave a who-the--are-you look.

 

“Junhong, hyung has to—“ The man had a deep voice, and Himchan felt startled. “Oh,. I-I’m so sorry! Isn’t this room 428?” the man rambled, and then planted his palm against his forehead quite harshly and Himchan again, just gave the who-the--are-you look. “Junhong’s room is 528..” Himchan heard the man mutter, and he felt himself laughing. He doesn’t know why, but something triggered inside Himchan, and he’s all snickers and giggles.

“I’m really sorry, It’s just it’s late.. and I think I need rest..I’m really really sorry.” The man stuttered, though small chuckles squeezed in between. “I hope I didn’t scare you.”

 

“Well, your voice alone is enough to startle anyone.” Himchan said tactlessly. He has learned this in one drama. A character must always think of witty responses.  The other man gave out an unsure laugh. “Excuse me?”

 

“O-oh, I’m sorry..was that mean?” Himchan said in a surprised voice. This is his one of the few times he’s ever had a conversation with another person other than his parents and some staffs, and he never really knew how to put up a normal conversation, without using dramas as reference. (He thanks whoever started dramas, otherwise he’s be a caveman and not know what lies beyond the hospital.) “I’m j-just, I have no idea how to do..this talking.. stuff.”Himchan just sat there awkwardly, and it was the man before him who started laughing now.

 

“Aren’t you a charmer?” He said in a sarcastic way, and waved his hands a few times before calming down. “But in all honestly, I’m sorry for bothering you. I’ll be going—“

 

“If you found out you had one year to live, what are the things that you would do? (Reference #1, Snow Kissed Summer, The part when Hana meets Chanhee for a date, just when she found out she was dying and asked it out of the blue.)

 

“W-what? Well, I haven’t really thought about…that.” The man was taken aback at the sudden question. It may just be a simple question, but he could tell that it holds a lot of feelings and uncertainty.

 

“I’m Kim Himchan,by the way.” He introduced, an awkward grin splayed across his face.

 

“I wasn’t asking but..I’m Bang Yongguk.” Now the intruder, Yongguk, interested Himchan in an odd way. Maybe it’s because he never really had anyone to talk to, or rather, he never really had anyone to listen to him. “Yongguk-ssi, Thank you.” Himchan smiled and asked offered Yongguk to sit on a chair near his bed. “That won’t be necessary.. I mean, I think I need to go and—“ Yongguk was interrupted.

 

“I’m actually dying. In a year. So I wondered what you would do if you we’re dying .” Himchan said casually, and Yongguk gave him a sympathetic look. Himchan sighed and gave him a sad smile, a smile that tried to made a façade of a strong warrior, but is breaking inside.

 

“I-I’m sorry to hear that but—“

 

“Oh, Don’t be! Come on, sit. You could help me you know.” Himchan said in a cheery tone as he fumbled through the drawers and pulled out a folded paper and a pen which was neatly put beside him.

 

“Answer my previous question~” Himchan hummed and Yongguk just sat down for the heck of it. It’s not like he’ll be able to go home anytime, and he could just stay at Junhong room for the night, but for now, he had an intriguing person to take care of.

 

“I’ll probably find someone to love.” Yongguk smiled to nobody in particular, and awkwardly nodded to Himchan, whose face wasn’t amused at all. “You’re boring! No Sky Diving? No Ding Dong Ditching?” Himchan raised his voice. Yongguk elicited a crunchy laughter that rung well inside Himchan’s head. It felt nice to have someone share a moment with you when you feel like you’re already  going to break.

 

Finding out that your dying in a year isn’t the best news to hear, and yet here with him, is a random stranger who happens to play along with Himchan’s whims. It gave Himchan a sense of genuine enjoyment and he actually felt like living for once.

 

“And come on! If you do fall in love in that year, then wouldn’t it be sad for you and your partner? You die, then your significant other gets left behind with  nothing but memories that are burned inside their head?” Himchan was practically flailing, and Yongguk wondered where the heck he gets the energy to be this lively in such a late time. “You’ll end up like Chanhee, I tell you. That’s not a good place to be in.” Himchan warned knowingly, as if Yongguk understood what he was talking about.

 

“You’re weird!” Yongguk exclaimed, a smile playing on his lips. Himchan just responded with an all arrogant hair flip and an ‘I know.’

 

“Fine, then I would probably..go bungee jumping.” The man with the deep voice stated, and Himchan found himself clapping. “That’s what I’m talking about!”

 

“And I would..go to a noraebang for the whole night.”

 

“Keep it coming, Yongguk.”

 

“I would kiss a random person.”

 

“That’s weird…but it happens in dramas.”

 

“I would talk to a random person whose room I accidentally walked into and have lively conversation with that person.” Yongguk had an all knowing grin and Himchan returned the favor.

 

“I bet that random person is a weird, drama-addict, sick-o whose about to die.” Himchan laughed. (Reference # 2, Star Idol Variety. Making fun of yourself sells. It’s funny.)

 

“Well, he is a weird, seemingly a drama addict, who is intriguing and awkwardly funny. He’s not about to die..I mean, he clearly looks more alive that I am.” Yongguk chuckled, and it got Himchan thinking.

 

“W-what?” Himchan said, his hand rubbing his nape as he was looking down.

 

“That random person smiles like he’s living the life.” Yongguk said and Himchan appreciated it, really. All his life has been consumed in the thought that he’s dying and not focus on how he can not just exist as a dying person, but live like a person who has wants and desires. He feels happy that Yongguk treats him like a person who isn’t suffering from a disease. It felt fresh, endearing in fact.

 

The whole two hours were consumed with them talking about anything that you could find under the sun. Himchan learns things about Yongguk like how he has a step-brother that’s confined in the hospital, and that Yongguk works three different jobs in order to pitch it for Junhong’s bills. HImchan then requested that he meets Junhong to which Yongguk happily agreed to.

 

And same goes for Yongguk. He learns quirky things that make Kim Himchan, well, Kim Himchan. He find out that he could ramble about a topic, and completely switch to another one, without really finishing the previous conversation. Himchan is an avid follower of dramas, hence, his actions, words and his knowledge about things outside the hospital are almost all solely based on dramas.

 

Just like that, two people who didn’t even knew each other’s existence would be in an exchange of sincere words, and light conversations. Doesn’t it take a simple smile, or a wave of a hand to start something as magnificent as the bond of friendship? Besides, friendship can’t really be defined by time itself. Frienship is friendship, whether big or small. And the fact that they have already started with a bond, then for sure, this will flourish into something worth putting in Himchan’s empty book of adventure.  Because it’s the unexpected things that make the best stories.

 

Yongguk glanced at his watch and is showed a two fifty in the morning. He could see that Himchan was fighting the urge to sleep, but of course, all great conversation must come to an end, whether permanent or temporary. “Himchan, I’ll be going now. See you soon.” Yongguk informed him softly, and gave him an awkward pat on the arm. “It’s really nice talking to you. Felt..new.”

 

Himchan just smiled at him and gave him a thumbs up. Yongguk gave him a gummy smile because it reminded him of Junhong. He soon headed off to the exit. He didn’t really need an answer because friends, sometimes, form silent understanding that only they share.

 

When he heard the door click shut, Himchan couldn’t help but smile as he stared at the ceiling. It seems like the higher ups heard his prayers and suddenly gave him a new twist in his life.  Himchan turned to the side and grabbed the paper and pen that wasn’t touched for the whole period that Yongguk was in his room. He stared at it and smiled, crossing one entry off the list.

                ╓

Be friends with a stranger. (Bang Yongguk... And his voice is scary deep ..ㅋㅋㅋ)

                                                                                                                                             ╝


Author's Thoughts:

Hello! Double Update. ^^ Finally, Bang & Him met, yes? 

Again, any shows / dramas here are just things that I made up. 

& yes, whenever Himchan does something on the list, it'll be mentioned at the end of the

chapter. Everyone please stay tuned! Thank you for reading it.

PS; Unedited. Sorry~ I'm too lazy for my life. ; A ;

With much love, Nuella.♡