Digits

The Exchange Student

 

I don't know whether I believed it or not. How could that one sentence ring any kind of truth! How could he be interested in any way with me!? Aiiish! My mind was scrambling and tripping over itself and all of its thoughts. As we made our way to a line to purchase what they liked to call food, but what we liked to call prison mush, I tried my best to avoid walking by the table where his friends and him usually sat. I was glad that they had already gotten in their usual line on the other side of the counters. I exhaled and tried to ignore everyone as they continued to tease me and tell me to talk to him.

 

One of them was a year younger than me, but tons taller. She grabbed my arm and grinned. "Come on! Just go talk to him!" H tried pushing me out of the line but I fight back and wove my way to the other side where Danny and Dominic were. I hid behind Danny and pouted.

 

"Yah! Leave me alone! I'm too shy! Just leave me be! Oppa! Make them stop!" I pouted at Danny and frowned when he shook his head.

 

"Just go talk to him!" He patted my head and smiled. I frowned. He was supposed to be on my side! He was the one that kept on getting jealous every time I started talking about Zelo. He would pout adorably and stomp his foot. And now here he was, being supportive to talk to Zelo. I glanced over to the next line and my eyes found Zelo, I ducked behind Danny and whined.

 

“Oppa! Stop opposing me!” I playfully punched his side and he made a fake-hurt face. I pouted again. This was not fair at all! They were all up against me now! I stomped my foot in frustration and continued to move forward in the line, hoping that he and his friends did not get to the line at the same time we would. When I got to the check out, picked out the unhealthy bags of chips and the one drink I could take, he had made it to the checkout on his end as well. My breath caught when I noticed him, and it took the lunchlady making small talk with me to snap me back to the real world. I paid the money and thanked her. I looked back up to him and noticed that he was leaving just as I was about to leave the line. I exhaled in relief and waited for everyone else just outside of the line.

 

“Hey, stupid. Your Asian was right there! Why didn’t you say ‘hi’ to him?” I growled at Marie and shook my head in frustration. She was never going to let me hear the end of it. Just as she came out of the line she started to push me in his direction.

 

ÒYAH! Stop that! I can’t do it! Stop!” I wriggled free of her grip and hurried my way out of the room on the other side of the cafeteria where another outward door was located. I ducked my head to be sure that no one would notice my face and exhaled when I hit the too warm air outside. I shook my head as I walked towards the area that my not-of-any-help-at-all friends would walk through to get to our usual eating area. After about a minute or so, they finally emerged from the cafeteria and were making their way towards me. I scowled at them and continued walking until we got to our area. I sat down on one of the rocks and took off my jacket.

 

"You guys are jerks." I pulled the tab on my can of chocolate drink after a quick shake and pouted as they laughed at me.

 

"I don't know why you don't just talk to him. It's simple! Now that he knows about you and he's interested, you should talk to him." Marie spoke as she pulled her lunch from her bag. She gave me an encouraging look and I scowled.

 

"Just go talk to him!" I shook my head repeating my excuse.

 

"I'm way too shy to! Leave me alone!" I moved so that I was facing the buildings, frowning as I continued to sip my drink.

 

"That's it. We're gonna drag you if you don't go." My eyes widened to the person who spoke. Gabe. I shook my head violently.

 

"Andwae!" It had become a habit for me to speak in Korean sometimes and Danny laughed as I spoke.

 

"Yah! Just go! He won't bite. Unless you ask." I gasped as everyone laughed. I shook my head once again. He looked at Dominic and they smiled mischievously. Oh crap. I stood, terrified of them. I shrugged on my jacket and tried to lunge for my bag to try to escape. No luck. Dominic got a strong grip of my torso and trapped me. He was easily twice-no, thrice my size and his arm as big as my head. I struggled and squirmed to the point that Gabe came around and took a hold of my legs, my best line of defense.

 

"Yah! Let me go! I am not going!" I squirmed and squirmed, feeling powerless as they used their size as an advantage over me. Seriously! I weigh less than a hundred pounds! This isn't fair! "He's going to freak out! Let me go!" I felt my heart quicken as they got to the covered area, only about thirty feet from the cafeteria. I squealed in discomfort and continued trying to free myself. The other students outside gave us strange stares and embarrassment flooded me. Even though I was becoming short of breath and exhausted, I continued trying to break free.

 

Just as they got all the way up the steps, Marie came up behind them. "Gabe, go get him!" He agreed and let go of my legs. Bad idea. I smirked and began trying to kick Dominic hard enough to make him let me go. Marie in turn grabbed a hold of my legs to keep me still. Knowing she has weak bones and joints, I struggled less; worried I'd hurt her. I whined as I watched Gabe disappear into the cafeteria doors. I tried biting Dominic instead, but was unable to with the way he had me turned. I groaned and tried telling my other friends to help. No luck. When we reached the building where the cafeteria was I grabbed a hold of the gate that usually keeps people out overnight and during vacations. I tried pulling myself in the opposite direction, or at least pulling free of their grasp. Again, I was out of luck. I groaned once more as I saw Gabe come out o the cafeteria, holding the door open. No! No! No! No! No! No! I kept muttering, "you guys are jerks" as exhaustion started to wash over me. Marie set me down, Dominic still keeping a firm grip of my torso. I thought about biting again, and began wiggling again. I was absolutely sure that the bun my hair was in was now a mess of thick hair.

 

"Is he coming?" Dominic called. Gabe grinned and nodded. "You can't run now, Jo." I shook my head and continued trying to get free. I tried letting my bangs fall forward and cover my face. We stayed there for a good few minutes before he emerged from the cafeteria, looking as gorgeous as ever. I felt heat rise up my back as his eyes found me. Nervousness started to make my palms sweaty and I gave in. I smiled shyly as he came closer, a shy smile on his lips. I gave them all death glares as they left Zelo and I to ourselves.

 

 He smiled at me as I looked at him, my shyness keeping me from saying a single word. My mind was a jumbled mess, my ability to form even simple sentences hindered by the intense feelings going through me at the moment. The first sentence I could come out with was…

 

“I’m so sorry about this!” I bit my lip, and he just gave me a smile. He shook his head and gave a small chuckle. I smiled slightly and we walked away from the cafeteria to the steps about thirty feet from where my friends were. I turned my back to them as I focused on the guy in front of me. “My friends are stupid. I am so sorry.”

 

“It’s okay.” An obvious Korean accent was evident when he spoke, and I felt my heart flutter as he gave me another smile. I gulped inwardly and was grateful for my slightly tanned skin hiding the blush on my cheeks.

 

“M-my name is Jo.” I tried to keep from stuttering as my heart raced in my chest. The heat was really starting to get to me. Why is it so hot?

 

“I’m Daniel.” I was a bit surprised that he gave me his American name, and not the nickname I had come to learn and call him by before this moment. I smiled, still nervous.

 

“So..um, you’re an exchange student?” I tried to be conversational, being a complete awkward turtle in the process. He answered me, as he leaned against the railing.

 

“Yeah, I came here last June.” I smiled and nodded, thinking of what to ask next. I felt like an idiot when all I could think about was Kpop. He’d think I was an idiot if I brought up just a small, yet huge, part of the Korean culture. He was sure to think of me as an idiot. And like an idiot I am, I mentioned it.

 

“I love Kpop! My favorite group right now is EXO!” I beamed, but internally I cringed at my idiocy. He smiled, showing his white teeth.

 

“I’ve heard of them. They’re still new right? My favorite group is BEAST.” I thanked whoever was listening that he didn’t cringe and want to leave me standing there right then. “My host sister is in love with SHINee. But I don’t like them much.”

 

“I love BEAST! They were the first ones I liked, until EXO came along. And I like SHINee… But EXO are my favorite.” I smiled. I couldn’t help but feel slightly envious that his host sister probably knew a lot about him. They were probably as close as real siblings, and I was quite sad that I only had such a small amount of time to get to know him. I was never expecting a relationship. I am not that kind of person. I am happy just being his friend. But the crush I had him kept me from being completely happy.

 

“You like Korea?” He asked, a smile still playing on his lips. I nodded. Just then I could feel the intense stares f two misfits. Shannon and Arthur, two of my underclassmen were watching Zalo and I talk, mischievous looks on their faces. Oh god. I looked up at him and smiled shyly.

 

“I-It’s really hot out here… Maybe we should talk inside.” He nodded and started waling to the cafeteria, waiting for me to follow. “You can come sit with me and my friends. They’re really nice.” Just then I remembered that one of my friends were going to bring me bubbletea from the local store and she was going to call me when she got here. As much as I really really wanted to sit with him, I couldn’t answer my phone in the cafeteria. One, it is way too loud in there. Two, the administrators would  take up my phone.

 

“A-actually… I am waiting for my friend to call me. She’s bringing me lunch… And the administrators will probably take up my phone…” His face fell slightly but he nodded in understanding. I gave him an apologetic smile and then I smiled. “But, I can give you my number… So we can still talk.” It was the best I could think of… He smiled and nodded. He pulled out his phone and I recited my number. “It was great talking to you.” I gave a smile and a wave as he walked into the cafeteria. My shoulders slumped. My back reheated and I ran to hide behind the rocks where my friends were sitting.

 

“I hate all of you.”

 

“What happened?”

 

“I saw some flirting going on!”

 

“Whoo! You talked to your Asian!”

 

“What happened?”

 

I frowned at all of them and hid my face in my arms. “I gave him my number.” Just then my phone rang in my pocket. I looked at the screen, expecting to see Carrie’s face, but instead it was an unknown number. I answered it. “Hello?”

 

“Jo? It’s Daniel. Here’s my number.” His voice met my ear and again, the heat rushed to my cheeks.

 

“Ah, okay! Thanks!” He chuckled and hung up.

 

“You got digits. Thank me.” Dominic smirked triumphantly as I stared at nothing. I talked to him…

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I updated, finally! Okay, so one last Chapter to go. It is techincally an epilogue since this was originally all that I was going to write, but since a lot of time has passed and you probably want to know what happened between me and the real guy, I will post more. The real guy is now back in Korea... I meant to go see him off at the airport, but... I slept in on accident! The day before he left was birthday and I was runnnig around with my family. And then I got sick. 

 

Enough of me! I hoped you enjoyed this update! Hello my new subbies! Thank you so much for subscribing! Your comments mean a lot! ^^ Also a huge Thank You to those who were the first ones to subscribe! You are all DAEBAKK!!! Have you guys seen the teaser for B.A.P's next comebak? AH! I am dying with Zelo's y/cuteness. Dying. 

 

Anyway! Until next update! ^^