7

White Days

 

The middle-aged couple scurried like rats from the mysterious men following them all day. They slipped between the alleys to catch their

breath. 

" Why are.... they following... us..." The woman gasps. The husband looks past her shoulder anxiously.

" Must be the loansharks. Ugh. Damn our luck. " He mutters.

All day long suspicious men dressed smartly followed them openly wherever they go. Occasionally discussing with one another.

The woman wipes her sweat with cold fingers. " What do we do now...? " She says. The husband nods after a long pause.

" I think they've stopped chasing us. " He declares. He looks at his wife and bravely takes her wrist and stepped out of the alley. Then they

took off sprinting. Not long after they ran, several cars closed up on them and blocked them off their path. The couple look at each other,

defeated. Men in black simultaneously got out from the car. 

" What do you want? " The man sighs. One of them came forward and flashed him a picture of Hyuna. 

" Are you the parents of Kim Hyuna? " He asks thinly.

The couple looked at each other again. " No. " They said.

" But.... you two lived in the same house and took care of this girl, yes? " He pointed to the picture in hand. The middle aged spouse nodded

sullenly.

" You need to come with us. "

Mr Yong strode in the dark room where a couple was being questioned. He rushed down to the unknown underground office he had when he

got the call. He had mixed feelings about his friends. He wanted to see them badly but at the same time he didn't want them to be the parents

who abandoned their child. He straightened his jacket and his personal investigator ushered him inside. Silently, he walked until the spouse's

faces came into view behind a tinted glass. They were unharmed. And they aren't his friends. He frowns. Perplexed.

" What's going on? " He demands. His investigator turned to face him. 

" They insist that they are not the birth parents. They only brought her up. " He explains. 

He processes this and heaves a relieved sigh." Good. What else? " 

The investigator scratches his head. " I think you need to ask them yourself. "

Giving his P.I a look, Mr Yong swiftly opens the interrogation room. He stands in front of the two and crosses his arms. No greeting, nothing.

He examines them thorough in his mind. Nope. They look nothing like the Kim Hyuna in the picture. 

" Tell me why you brought up Kim Hyuna and where are her real parents. Your debts with Yong Junhyung will be easily settled. " He gets

straight to the point. 

" What if you lie? " 

" I'm the father of Yong Junhyung. I WILL settle your debt. "

The two were stunned into silence. They eyed him and agreed silently. " You do have that jerkish character like him. " She remarks.

Junhyung's father kept his straight face. " From A-Z. You need to tell me. "

" Hyuna's parents are dead. Died in an accident when she got blind. " The man shrugs.

" Was a pretty bad plan. If you ask me. I mean- you lost your son. " His wife added. Mr. Yong didn't get it. 

" What- Who are you talking about? " He demands. 

" Who else? The woman who left her entire inheritance to Kim Hyuna because the guilt was eating her inside out. "

Mr Yong felt the question on his tongue.

" The grandmother. " They said in unison.

His jaw went slack but he hardly realise. " Why? " 

" Kim Hyuna's father is a second generation chaebol. And he married a piano teacher. What do you think? That old lady didn't approve. "

" And after all that, they tried to run because she was causing a strain on their relationship. Even after they had a daughter. "

Mr Yong listens intently. His hand over his mouth. He had to pull a chair to sit himself -and thoughts- down. " But... why the two of you? "

" He was her only son... and her only grandchild was seriously injured. She paid the two of us to take care of her grandchild. To pretend to be

her parents. Doesn't matter cause she can't see anyway. " The woman explains nonchalantly.

" But you ran off... "

" Because she'll be getting that inheritance soon enough. On her 18th birthday. Plus, we sort of ran out of money to pay your son. " The man

narrowed his eyes at Mr Yong. His last comment was ignored.

Mr Yong rested his head on his palm. His friends are dead. A freaking " accident ". And his friends' daughter is alone in this world.

" How... could you lie. To a blind child. Her whole life? She still thinks you are her parents. " He asks them in disgust. They kept quiet. 

" Despicable. She might have every single inheritance of that grandmother but she is alone. The least you could do is protect her. " He said

angrily, his fatherly intuition overwhelming him.

They looked away from him. He had so much more to say but it was unlike him to spit it all out so he closed his eyes for a long time before

walking out of the interrogation room.

Hyuna touches her lips and carefully puts on her lip gloss. After listening to simple instructions on Youtube, she managed to doll herself up.

Junhyung stood at her door watching her frown and smile now and then as she blindly - literally - puts on makeup. 

" Alright alright. That's enough dolling up. No one is going to look at you later. Only me. " Junhyung finally says. 

" This is my first time travelling in awhile! I can't look sloppy. " She pouts.

He shakes his head, smiling. " Okay. I get it. Now lets go before the boys blow up my phone. "

Hyuna smiles sheepishly and quickly races forward. " The last one to the door is a cow! " She shouts. " You cheated! "

-
Hyuna could feel a hundred eyes on her. She leans closer to Junhyung uneasily. They were standing in a packed train. Not bringing her stick,

people couldn't tell she's blind. Junhyung had a hand around her shoulder, hugging her to his chest. I love train rides already, He thought with

a smile. Hyuna could feel his warmth on her left cheek. Which was comforting in this uncomfortable place.

" Oppa.... I think... I don't like public transports. " She says quietly. Junhyung looks down at her and suppresses a laugh. 

" Why? I LOVE it. I get to hug you like this. " He says playfully.

Hyuna blushes in a second and pushes him away at an arm's length. He laughs as quietly as he can. At that moment the train lurches and

Hyuna jerks to the side. His heart jumping, Junhyung roughly tug on her arm, this time truly hugging her while holding on to the pole. Hyuna

was a bit pale and shocked. He could tell she was embarrassed by her silence. He could feel her heart pounding against his abs and wonders if

his was beating like that. Hyuna buries her face against his chest, a hand tugging on his jacket and another around his back. She was

embarrassed to the bones. Thank God for Junhyung, she thought. She calmed down after a few moments, distancing her face from his shirt she

was breathing into.

" Are you okay? " He asks her carefully. Hyuna feels tingles all over her body to her toes. She could only nod and loosen her grip a bit.

" Is the concert place still far? " She whispered. Junhyung whispered a yes. An ahjussi behind Hyuna who was seating stood up.

" Ah, young man. Let your girlfriend take my seat. She looks tired. " He offers, peering at Hyuna worriedly.

Junhyung grins, slowly guiding Hyuna to the seat." Fiancee. " He corrects the Ahjussi.

The ahjussi's eyes lit up and he laughed. Taking Junhyung's hand and congratulating the two of them quite loudly, causing other passengers to

eye Junhyung and Hyuna openly. She could feel their stares prickling at her skin. Hyuna wanted to hide her face. Again.

" Why do you always say things like that, Oppa. " She says silently,  feeling wistful as she remembers that she's only his pretend girlfriend.

" Tonight is the best night in all of my nights ever! " Hyuna yells to tell Junhyung over the pounding music.

Junhyung gives his soft smile and pats her head. " Glad you like it! " He yells back.

Hyuna felt the excitement from every audience as they screamed and chanted together. Hyuna relished the goosebumps she got and yelled

along with them even though she had no idea what band was playing. The guys went to get some snacks so Junhyung and Hyuna made their

way to the back of the crowd and under a tree where the boys had laid out a mat. Hyuna immediately lied on her back and stared up the dark

skies blankly. Junhyung follows her gaze up.

" Lie down with me... and tell me what you see. " She says cheerfully.

Junhyung grunts as he props himself beside her. He folds his arms behind his head and frowns.

" Well.... firstly, it's dark. But not yet black dark. Just.... nice and calm. Then.. we have the stars- "

" STARS! Tell me tell me! " Hyuna's eyes lit up.

" I'm trying! "

Hyuna covers and giggled. Junhyung huffs and throws his gaze back.

" Stars..they um. They make you feel better. Like, you can't get mad at them. They're too pretty and innocent. And and.. Did you know?

They twinkle. Blinking at everyone on earth. " Junhyung tries his best to interpret.

Hyuna didn't comment. Junhyung quickly glances at her and felt a rip in his gut as he sees a trace of her tear disappear into her hairline.

Hyuna swallows the lump in and silently cries. Her tears streaming down.

Junhyung blinks, panicked, and leans down to get a good look of her face. " Hey, what's wrong. Did I say anything? "

Hyuna weakly shakes her head. " For once... I want to see. The sky, the people and- " She stops, her shoulders are shaking now.

Junhyung bites his lower lip helplessly. " Hey, hey.... come on. Don't cry like this. " He says and softly wipes her tears with his thumb.

His heart does cartwheels with the contact. Hyuna covers her reddening face and sits up, sniffling. He hesitantly brings an arm around her,

guiding her head to his shoulder.

" You can cry now. " He says seriously. Hyuna lets out a small laugh. She sits straight and hugs her knees.

" Do you know, what would I want to see first if i actually could? " She asks. Junhyung rests his head on a fisted hand.

" Tell me. " 

" My own face. Am I pretty.... what would I think of myself... " She says wistfully. 

"Do you want me to describe for you? " Junhyung perks up.

Hyuna blinks. " Would you?"

" When I first saw you, I thought you were a doll. Your skin is so clear and milky. You have a small face that I think actually fits my hand.

You look like the pretty innocent High-School-Girl. " He says with satisfaction.

Hyuna cringes her nose. " Hmm.... too vague. What do I look like? " 

Junhyung stared at her face for a long while. He thought about it and got lost in her unfocused eyes. 

" Well...? " She asks impatiently.

" Tonight's stars. You... look like tonight's stars. " He concludes softly.

Hyuna feels butterflies all over. She didn't know what to say. She ducks her head and smiled, gratified. " You always say these things so that I

keep quiet. " She sighs.

Then, her stomach dives as she feels Junhyung edges closer to her. Ohmygodohmygod, she flails mentally, feeling his warmth leaning closer.

She couldn't breathe. Junhyung's nose was lightly touching hers.

" I always tell the truth. And that's... I find you beautiful. " He confesses, surprising himself. Before he could kiss her..........

.

.

.

" NO HANKY PANKY IN PUBLIC YOU TWO! " The guys yelled and rushed over, throwing the snacks and drinks for dinner with smug

smiles for a frustrated Junhyung. 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
 

★★ Hehehehe ers ftw