Chapter 4 - The Beginning - How Your Heart Went Dugeundugeun~

The Stolen Bride

 

[Boa focus]

She didn't know what to do.

Here she was, in the arms of her best friend… who apparently has been in love with her.

She had never thought about Jaejoong that way in return though; an intimate relationship with him just never really crossed her mind.

But he also never made any signs of liking her either. It had always been him calling her weird or his ever so favorite nickname for her, babo boa~; nothing like the romantic come-ons’ she had read about in her cliché romance novels.

Jaejoong was just supposed to be her best friend.

Right?

But here he was, sleepily confessing his love to her.

Friends.

DUGEUNDUGEUN~

Lovers.

DUGEUNDUGEUN~

Aish. This unsteady heart of hers.

Taking a deep breath, Boa closed her eyes and tried to relax. At least to get her heart rate down to normal and get enough oxygen to her brain to make her think straight.

But of course, she could not possibly get enough air here, in Jaejoong’s cramped room, in his arms, starring at his face which she couldn't decide was peaceful and serene or just plain dorky…

OH GOD, was this what they call the ‘take your breath away’ feeling?

She couldn’t take another minute being left alone thinking in her best friend’s arms.
 
She needed time and space to clearly think things through…

What was the situation.

What were the expected consequences.

And what did she really want.

Somehow, Boa managed to wriggle her way out of Jaejoong's arms.

Maybe it was cause of the ‘intimate’ distance of shared body heat that sweat began to accumulate between them as she was finally able to slip out.

Maybe Jaejoong was tired and finally loosened his arms.

Boa didn't know.

All she knew was that she was out of the room and running as fast as her legs could take her in a matter of seconds to the one place she could think of.

The first day of school, plans to get the good seats near the classroom window, obligations to claim the spot under the school tree in the name of BOJOONG were totally forgotten.

[Jaejoong Focus]

The sound of morning birds tweeting began slow and harmonious, but soon the sound began to build up to an annoying blob of continues squabbles and squawks to the point where he just couldn't ignore it any longer.

"UGH." He groaned as he dragged a hand over his face.

Morning. What a drag.

He laid there for a few seconds, just staring up at the ceiling, until it hit him.

Today was the first day of school.

His hand quickly made a mad grab to the nightstand for his clock.

9:13

Crap.

Normally, the old Jaejoong wouldn't mind missing a day, heck even a week of school; but ever since Boa began riding his on the importance of school attendance and his education- no scratch that, just Boa's concern over him, was what got him up in the morning and what got him to sit his down in that hell of a school.

That, and the fact that a raging Boa could always wake him.

Boa.

Wait, where was she?

There was no way she would have left for school without him without trying anyway possible to wake him up.

But he vaguely remembered her calling him, multiple times, telling him she was coming over.

He quickly checked his phone call records.

BABO BOA~

BABO BOA~

BABO BOA~

BABO BOA~

BABO BOA~

Yup.

"Argh, that Boa, she's probably trying to teach me a lesson." Jaejoong finally groaned and raked a hand through his hair.

Typical Boa, giving him the tough love and trying to teach him another lesson in life… even though he was older than her!

Ever since his halmeoni had passed away last year, Jaejoong felt Boa’s mature and logical characteristic increase by the tenfold.

He knew his dearest halmeoni, who left her property solely to him, had something so do with it.

Jaejoong sighed, there was no point in going to school today.

I’ll just hang out at the spot until school lets and out and go walk her home, Jaejoong though, and beg for forgiveness later.

Jaejoong quickly got up and dressed himself half assedly, but of course still looking friggin’ fiiiine as hell~, and was out the door in a matter of minutes.

~
 
[FLASHBACK]

Jaejoong sat outside his halmeoni’s room just blankly starring up at the stars.

It was a mid-summer’s night so the stars were pretty bright, not to mention he was in the countryside where there was no pollution to block the beautiful night sky from shinning down on him.

The night was cool and mild, but Jaejoong felt so cold on the inside.

A painful coughing fit broke the sound of the night surrounding him as Dr. Park, the local village doctor, exited his halmeoni’s room and walked out to sit beside Jaejoong.

“Wow, the stars look bright today.” The doctor said thoughtfully as he looked up at the same sky Jaejoong was looking at, but he knew they were not thinking about stars.

After a quiet minute, the good doctor sighed and gave Jaejoong a sorrowful pat on the shoulder.

“It’s too late, the sickness has progressed to far.“

He slowly turned to look at the door to his halmeoni’s room, it was closed.

“How long does she have?” he asked, staring at the wooden door that separated him from his only family left.

Dr. Park looked at the young boy, no, before the dawn tomorrow he will have to be a young man.

“She won’t make it pass tommorrow.” He told Jaejoong, giving it to him straight because now he was going to have to be a man.

Jaejoong didn’t cry.

He didn’t even say anything.

He just stared at the door to his halmeoni’s room.

“I’m deeply sorry son. Mianhae, there’s nothing more you or I can do other than to stay with her and make her feel as comfortable as you can.” Dr. Park sighed as he gave Jaejoong another pat on the back before getting up.

“Kamsahamnida.” Jaejoong stood up as well and bowed, keeping his bent until he couldn’t hear the doctor’s footsteps anymore, until he was sure that Dr. Park was gone.

That’s when he finally let the first tear drop.

But just as quickly as it came, he roughly dragged his arm over his face, smearing the saline liquid against his skin and leaving just a remnant of saltiness on his cheek.

He stood straight up again, pulled his shoulders back up and walked back to his halmeoni’s room.

“Jaejoong-ah.” Came the coarse voice followed by a fit of coughs as Jaejoong walked into his halmeoni’s room and sat down beside her.

He helped her up to sake a sip of water

“Don’t talk halmeoni, save your energy.” He spoke clearly, no signs of waver in his voice.

He had to show his halmeoni he was strong, he could handle this, he could handle losing his last form of family.

But halmeoni could not be fooled as she slowly lifted her hand towards Jaejoong’s face which Jaejoong’s hands followed as he helped her lift up her weakening arm.

“My Jaejoong-ah…“she said with a sad smile as she lovely thumbed his cheek.

“Aigooo, it’s almost my time…”

“Don’t say that halmeoni.” He spoke firmly again

“You can’t fool me Jaejoong-ah, these eyes have seen it all, these ears have heard it all. I know when my time has come.”

Jaejoong was silent.

“Mianhae Jaejoong.”

“Aishh, halmeoni, why are you apologizing!” he was starting to lose it now, his cool and firm demeanor.

“I’m leaving you, just like everyone else.” She said sadly, but it was the truth.

He went silent again.

“I need you to-” She asked suddenly

“De halmeoni, what is it? Do you need more water? Are you cold?”

“Ani, just, before I leave, I-“ but a coughing fit took her again.

“Aishh, don’t waste your energy anymore halmeoni!” Jaejoong yelled as he tried to give his halmeoni some water

But she pushed his hands away.

“Call Boa.”

~

“Aissh, that Jaejoong, why does he have to be such a jerk!” Boa cried half angrily, the other half of her was worried out of her mind for her best friend and his halmeoni.

This morning, when Boa came to walk with Jaejoong to school, he told her to stay away from his house and that he wasn’t going to school today or the next few days because his halmeoni was feeling sick.

Even when she went over to his house to see how she, and Jaejoong, were doing, he didn’t even let her past the porch steps.

He coldly told her to go home and lightly, but with force, pushed her out of the yard.

She even brought some pears she had picked for the woman that became like her own halmeoni.

Noooooo, that Jaejoong had to be a big meanie about it.

But there was something about the cold and detached way Jaejoong looked at her today, like he was totally empty inside, which surprised her.

It was the first time he ever gave her such look, which caught her off guard and was probably why she was pushed out so easily.

Boa Kwon would push back and demand to be taken into recognition.

But not this time.

Boa sighed.

Maybe halmeoni was seriously sick.

Aigoo, I hope everything’s not that serious she thought out loud as she stared out her window and into the night sky.

But the sound of her phone vibrating quickly jolted her out of her trance like state.
“OMO.” She cried as she nearly tripped over a pile of clothes that needed to be folded, another chore she had ignored because of the whole Jaejoong-being-weird-situation, to grab the phone.

Joongie~

“Yah! Kim Jaejoong! Is your halmeoni feeling better? What is wrong with y-“

“Come over to my house. Now.”

“Bwoh? Do you know what time it is? I already brushed my teeth…”

“Just come over.”

And he hung up.

Omo, this sounded like the serious Boa was hoping against.

~

When Boa got within eye range of Jaejoong’s house, she already saw her best friend standing outside along the road, waiting for her.

Breaking out into a smile, she sudden started to run towards him, not wanted to add more time on the clock for him to whine to her about how long he was waiting for her outside.

But as soon as she got close enough to make out his expression, she stopped running.

His eyes looked cold.

As soon as she was within arms distance, he instantly grabbed her arm and pulled her towards his house.

His hand felt cold.

“Yah! Jaejoong! What is wrong with you! Let me go!” She said as she struggled with his grip and being pulled along his large strides.

“YAH!” She finally yelled.

Jaejoong turn towards her, and she swore a part of her heart got frostbite with the piercingly cold gaze Jaejoong sent her.

But that only lasted for a second before the cold gaze faded into an almost empty one.

“My halmeoni wants to see you.” He said softly

“Oh.” She said looking down.

They stood there a few seconds before she looked down at her hand…

“Can you let go of my hand.”

He let go.

Boa mummbled something about how Jaejoong didn’t evne understand his own strength sometimes and began walking on her own towards Halmeoni’s side of the house, where her room was located.

She turned to see Jaejoong wasn’t following her, he was just standing back at the spot she left him in.

He was looking at the stars though.

The feeling was starting to rise up in her.

She began to see where this was going.

She began to feel sick to the stomach.

Halmeoni….

She quietly opened the door to the room, the dim lighting was soft to her eyes.

“Annyong Hasaeyo” said peeked in.

The sight before her almost brought tears to her eyes.

There on the floor mattress looking so tired and frail, nothing like the happy and outgoing woman that would gently poke fun at Jaejoong and tell her all sorts of funny stories about Jaejoong’s childhood was Jaejoong’s halmonei.

“Boa-ah, come in.” she said with a weak smile…

“De.”

She walked over and kneeled beside the older woman.

“How are you Boa~” she asked as she reached over to grasped Boa’s hands

“Aishh, halmeoni~ that’s supposed to be my line~” Boa joked bashfully and laughed lightly as halmeoni joined in.

They shared that for a minute before it got quiet again.

“Halmeoni~”

“Yes Boa-ah”

“Jaejoong was so mean to me today~” Boa playfully whined like she use to back when they were children and Jaejoong wouldn’t share the toys.

She was trying to lighten the mood.

Trying to pretend that everything was normal.

“Aigoo, that boy~” Halmeoni chuckled, but that turned into a painful cough as she took out a handkerchief and coughed into it.

There was blood.

“OMO! Halmeoni!”

A look of shear worry and horror was spread across Boa’s face.

“Ani, gwenchanayo.” She replied as she folded the handkerchief and put it aside.

Boa’s eyes began to water.

“Halmeoni…” her voice quivered.

“Boa, I’m…”

“No. Halmeoni, don’t say it.”

She knew what was happening, what was going to happen, why she was here at this hour.

“Boa-ah…” halmeoni grasped Boa’s hands again.

“I need you to do me a favor Boa-ah.”

“De halmeoni”

A tear drop rolled down Boa’s cheek.

“Jaejoong,” she sighed “Everyone in his life has left him; everyone that he’s depended on has deserted him. His father. His mother. And now me.”

Another tear rolls down.

“Life as been cruel to him. His father abandoned him and his mother, his mother passed away while he was still young, and now he’s losing me. And I’m afraid…” She continued “I’m afraid that if one more person leaves him, he’s going to lose it himself. Yes, he acts strong and tough on the outside. He acts as if he doesn’t need anyone. Ani, but really, deep down inside, he’s still a terrified little boy waiting for his father to come home from the store, his mother to kiss him good night.

More tears trickled down Boa’s face.

“I’m afraid of what he’ll become if he loses anyone else, if he doesn’t have anyone else to support him. To be there for him in his hours of need. He needs someone to keep him in line, to make sure he keeps a clear mind.” Halmeoni left up Boa’s hands “He needs you.”

Tears.

“Promise me Boa, promise me you’ll take care of him.”

Halmeoni began to get up…

“Ha-halmeoni, what are you doing, wait!” Boa shocked that halmeoni was getting up in her state as she gently tried to support herself.

But what halmeoni did next horrified her, as the older woman got into the bowing positions, prostrating herself in front of Boa.

“HALMEONI! What are you doing! STOP! PLEASE!” Boa yelled with tears in her eyes, trying to get the older woman back to lay back down and out of the degrading position.

“HALMEONI! PLEASE! YOU DON’T HAVE TO DO THIS!”

“Please, Boa-ah, I beg you. Don’t leave Jaejoong.” She said looking down.

“DE! DE HALMEONI!” Boa cried lifting the older woman back up.

“Promise me!” Halmeoni cried as she fell into Boa’s arms from fatigue.

“DE! HALMEONI! I PROMISE YOU, I WILL TAKE CARE OF JAEJOONG, I WON’T LEAVE JAEJOONG!” Boa cried, the tears were endless now.

They stayed like that for a while, both in each other’s arms weeping until they were still again.

Boas gently coaxed halmeoni to lay back again and tucked her back into the covers.

“Gwenchana halmeoni?”

She nodded with a genuine smile.

“Kamsahamnida Boa, I’m so grateful Jaejoong has a great friend like you.”

“Rest halmeoni, save your engery.” Boa said as she fluffed up the pillows around her, eyes still glossy with tears yet to shed.

“I’ll always be there for Jaejoong.” She whispered before halmeoni nodded off to a light sleep.

[END FLASHBACK]


Boa was sitting against the tree in the middle of the grassy plain.

Yes, she remembered her words to Jaejoong’s halmeoni, and she meant them.

But at the time, she thought that being there for Jaejoong was good enough on a best-friend status.

Not as lovers.

Aishh. Halmeoni, did you see this coming? Is this why you wanted me to stay with Jaejoong?

She watched as the grass swayed with the wind.

This was the place where she first met him, she reminisced with a smile.

Did she feel something for her best friend in return?

Had these feelings been unconsciously hidden within her until now?

And what would happen to the BOJOONG, as she so happily coined their friendship-relationship they had now?

Everything would change...

And Boa wasn't entirely sure change was something she wanted now. Not after change tore her parents away from her.

But she was sure she didn't want to lose Jaejoong too, or him to lose her.

Friend.

Lover.

She sighed and blew a steady stream of air, filled with confusion, frustration, and any other emotions that were just too much to handle this early in the morning, up and through her bangs.

“AISH! KIM JAEJOONG, WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING SO COMPLICATED!” she yelled out suddenly in to an empty field.

“How do I make things complicated?”

“OMO, LOOK AT WHAT YOU’VE DONE KIM JAEJOONG, YOU’VE MADE ME SO CRAZY THAT I’M HEARING VOICES IN MY HEAD!”

“MICHYEOSSEO? YAH! TURN AROUND YOU BABO!”

Crap.

Boa slowly turned her head around to come face to face with her best friend; arms cross, looking as smug as ever.

The smirk on his face, the one she would usually send a jab to the ribs to get it off was now making her feel different.

DUGEUNDUGEUN~

Why was her heart beating a mile a minute, her lungs seemingly unable to re-oxygenate, and any of her other vital organs functioning properly at that point.

DUGEUNDUGEUN~


Aigoo…

DUGEUNDUGEUN~

DUGEUNDUGEUN~



....Kim Jaejoong, you make me so crazy. Michyeosseo.
 


 

 

\AN:  Annyong~ happy new year~ i hope everyone is well and heathy~ falls2thesky here~I'msorry i havn't updated in months... OTL. Anyways, again sorry for more... idk melodramatic stuff... idk when i will even get past part 1 of the story line T____T! Hopefully i will update again so~

&&comment pl0x~ let me know that theres still BOJOONG shippers out there!

                                                              -As always~ LOVE TO ALL REVIEWER, LOVE TO ALL SILENT READERS, <^> TO HATERS
                                                                             ~FALLS2thesky :D