Lesson

The Pecking Order [discontinued until further notice]

Kris huffed as he took a seat in the student council’s office again. With Junmyeon, Lay and Baekhyun all gone he had a feeling he wouldn’t be getting anything worthwhile done today – Luhan had drifted off to sleep and the other two were too busy whispering about God knows what to even spare him a second’s glance.

“Chen.” He cracked his neck as he waited for the second-year to finish his sentence and turn his way, snorting when the boy finally did so with an uninterested stare. “I don’t care when you do it, but I want whatever recordings of Luhan and the other five you can find on the Ohs’ security tapes permanently deleted.” He watched as the kid exchanged a short look with Xiumin.

“Can I do it elsewhere? If Luhan wakes up-“

“Just go, before I throw you two in with Lay and Suho.” It was clear as day that the two had no clue what he was talking about, either that or they were very good actors, which was in truth pretty credible as well. They seemed to take his threat serious enough though and were out the door a few seconds later. What the two could possibly have had to talk about to start getting along so well, or what Xiumin saw in the old library with its torn and outdated books he didn’t know. Apart from the AC of course.

Kris sighed as he leaned back in Chen’s swivel chair, which so conveniently seemed to be empty every time he decided to stop by, and looked up at the grayish white ceiling. Luhan’s soft snores reached his ears, a bit of out of tune music drifted in from the open door as well but it was barely loud enough for him to hear, and the chair squeaked a bit when he readjusted his sitting position.

Junmyeon had told him to keep calm and listen to what he said, to make sure that everyone remained focused, but he was starting to doubt it was even humanly possible to keep all the brats of their little council together without any incidents – hell, his so-called advisor seemed determined to make a whole lot of noise as well, in the end proving that Kris himself was the only one with any common sense at all in the group. This of course wasn’t a good thing, especially as he was the one who in the end had to think up some sort of plan to counter whatever the first-years could think to throw at him. And any person with just a shred of intelligence would realize that it’s impossible to counter what you know nothing about – it’s like telling someone to dodge a bullet in the dark. Not that he’d be able to dodge ne in broad daylight either, but that wasn’t the point.

“Lord help me through this day…” He grumbled and got to his feet again, not forgetting to set an alarm on Luhan’s phone so the guy might wake up before the school gates are locked. Drawing the door closed behind him he headed straight for the stairs. “You still have more for me to do, haven’t You? You’d better let me know before I throw myself in front of a train old man…” The clear sky outside let the sun cast its sharp light against the dusty windows, and Kris stopped for a few second to look out through on before carrying on downstairs. As per usual the students who were lounging in the corridors moved aside when he walked by, albeit a few seemed slightly reluctant until he scowled at them. This was what he’d had to deal with since that little er Tao decided to muck things up, but it appeared to have gotten even worse recently.

When a random third-year stared up at him, making a defiant face, Kris knew his patience was running thin, and narrowed his eyes further at the guy, only to have the other mimic him. It had been a while, or that was at least what he liked to believe himself, since he last snapped the way he did now. With a growl he grabbed the boy’s collar and lifted him off the floor, sending a sharp kick to the gut of whom he guessed was his victim’s friend before continuing down the hall with the guy flailing in his tight grip. He felt the corners of his mouth tug up into what was most likely a very grotesquely evil smirk as he stopped by the edge of the closest set of stairs, holding the poor student out in the open air. This should’ve been a pretty clear gesture of what would happen if he didn’t move next time, but seeing as the moron actually tried to kick him it was apparently not enough.

“You brought this on your own.” Kris sneered and tossed the third-year, who was by now pale as chalk, right out into the open space in front of him, watching as the guy managed to land awkwardly on one foot just to twist his knee in a freaky manner and tumble on down, crashing into both other students and several steps before kissing the wall. With a of his brow, more at the amount of blood that had managed to stain the stairwell than anything else, Kris turned his back on the scene and strolled of, suddenly in a much better mood than before. It was as though he’d forgotten why he’d been in charge in the first place until he let loose a bit. “God helps those who help themselves…” He practically sung as he walked past mute students in the hall, feeling a slight need to warn the others to just apologize if they were ever in a similar situation. He thought he heard someone shout for an ambulance behind him, and his smile only widened. “What a , stumbling in the stairs like a two-year-old.” He chuckled lightly – as much of a lie as it was, no one would have the guts to tell any hospital staff or police otherwise. “I should do this more often.”

Word spread like wildfire though the school, and before he’d even made his way to the first floor a path had already been cleared in those hallways. The bell rang just then, and he smirked at the teachers who rushed to get back to their safe haven – which really wasn’t all that safe, but Kris had figured even the teachers needed a place where they could breathe for a while between classes so he’d left it alone. Sometimes he was so nice he scared himself.

“So, you pushed someone down the stairs this time? I thought you’d calmed down a bit.” He scoffed at the owner of the voice, but didn’t feel up for doing much else. Any other teacher and he might’ve knocked some sense into them for even speaking to him, but this one would be a pain in the if he did.

“Well you see Seungri-hyung, he just wouldn’t get out of my way, and then he made the poor decision to struggle instead of groveling like the dog he is, so I really don’t think I had much of a choice.” He explained with sarcastic politeness, ramming into the man’s shoulder when he passed by. “And I didn’t push; I threw.”

“Kris! Yah!” Ignoring the elder he was on his way again. He wasn’t even sure where he was going but he put his trust to Lady Luck and the Lord to guide him someplace nice.

“Kris-ssi? What brings you down here?” He stopped again to look down at the second teacher to approach him, and pursed his lips at the softly smiling face. He didn’t hate this teacher, Sulli he thought her name was, but rather felt a bit protective of her – she was still new to the job and the environment of the school had been hard on her until he stepped in once and forced the people troubling her to bugger off with their tails between their legs. “I saw your results for last semester’s finals… you’ll be forced to repeat this year if you don’t start studying properly.” Kris shot her a glare, although not as dark as those he’d reward most others with, and shook his head once.

“I have other things to worry about – you wouldn’t understand. You just look after yourself… Seungri-hyung’s waiting for you.” He scoffed before taking a step around her and being on his way outside, leaving behind the nest of all creatures evil. “Ah.” He breathed as he remembered the two in the storage room, but then clicked his tongue and moved his feet again; they could very well stay there overnight for all he cared. And it wasn’t like the door was locked – they’d be out soon enough. Somehow. Probably.

It was a nice day despite all his troubles, and Kris very nearly smiled at the comfortable warmth. Although some people seemed to shy away from him where he moved down the street he didn’t really mind; this was commonplace even before he put on the St. Andrew school uniform and dyed his hair. Then again that might’ve been because of the beefy men following him around on his father’s orders, and not actually because of how he himself looked. In the end this was just one of the many things he’d grown to accept and live with, although he did have plans on changing it in due time, once he’d figured out how he’d pull that off…

For now however he had to do something about the little rebellion that threatened to throw everything off and ruin whatever plans he’d made for the future. It was clear that they wouldn’t be able to win in a head-on fight, which left him with a few more dishonest ways of making the first-years give up on their schemes. Lay was as reliable as any to get hold of whatever they needed, as long as Chen provided the guy with the right information, and Luhan was already intent on letting one of the brats experience hell so he’d be on board for anything without question.

Still, the worst opponent would still be the raven-haired assassin. A few of the people passing him on the street lowered their heads with slight apologies and he figured he must’ve been making a really mean face. That Tao bastard had a tendency of doing that to him. No matter how many times Kris told himself that he’d been caught off-guard, the excuse just didn’t make him feel any better about getting his handed to him. He wasn’t weak, and if he got another chance he reckoned he should at least be able to land a few decent hits before going down, but in his mind he could still see the swift movements of the first-year and knew his speed wasn’t anywhere near the kid’s. And the guy was unpredictable to say the least – unreadable really with those sharp, dark eyes that just glared coolly at whoever got in the way.

“Damn him.” Kris drew a hand through his hair in frustration before letting his fingers brush against the silver cross that rested against his chest. “Tell me what to do and I’ll have the whole damn school convert…”

 

/////////////////////////////////

 

Luhan’s mind was working real hard. He’d woken up two hours earlier on the couch in the student council office and to his great annoyance found that once more he’d been completely abandoned by the rest. Was it so hard to wake him up before they left? At the moment however he was busying himself with coming up with a way to get into that spoiled Oh Sehun brat’s house without getting his legs chewed to bits by the guard dogs. He’d usually know when to back off, but a challenge was a challenge, and this was the first time someone had refused to listen to him with such a cocky, nonchalant and unfazed attitude.

His phone had been ringing every five minutes for an hour or so, Lay’s name popping up on the display, but for once he didn’t feel like answering so whatever it was the kid would have to deal with it himself.

Rolling off his bed he came to the conclusion that there was really just one thing he could do – he had to enter enemy territory on his own. But first: a disguise. He was quick to swap his school uniform for everyday clothes, and slipped on one of his backpacks and a pair of sneakers before leaving home. He lived quite a ways from the Oh brat, different social classes and all, but he was confident about the way despite being on foot this time around. Growing up in the city had left him with a pretty decent sense of direction, and he navigated the darkening streets with formidable accuracy if he may say so himself. It was almost an hour’s walk, but he enjoyed the soft breeze and the sounds of the city in the background of everything, almost like a sort of live soundtrack.

The walls surrounding the Ohs’ grand house were just as tall as last time – fortunately he wasn’t going over them tonight. Rolling his shoulders and taking a few deep breaths he pressed the doorbell outside the gate once, waiting for someone to answer. The crackle of the speaker came a few seconds later and he was asked about his business.

“My name is Lim Hyunjae, I came by to drop off some of Sehun-ah’s homework – I found them on top of his desk before leaving school and thought he might need them.” He lied smoothly, and was surprised to hear that he was free to go on inside. It seemed almost too easy, yet he was welcomed inside and even given directions to the ‘young master’s’ bedroom. Something was telling him to be careful, but adrenalin was pumping through his body from just having gotten inside, so he pushed any doubts away for the time being. There were quite a few rooms to choose from, but the second he stepped into the farthest off bedroom on the second floor, he immediately knew he’d gotten the directions perfectly when the maid told him. It looked very much like a teen’s room – messy with all sorts of different clutter all around; paper, books, CDs and movies, a TV and several game consoles in one of the far corners. Even the bed was unmade despite the housemaids. The size peeved him a bit though.

He pushed the door almost to a close behind him, proceeding into the dark room with scrutinizing and searching eyes. There had to be something useful to find in this kid’s room; something that could be used against the guy. It would’ve been very convenient if the brat had some siblings he could threaten to beat bloody, because Luhan had a feeling that messing with the staff wouldn’t be quite as effective, but according to both Baekhyun and Chen he was an only child. Maybe he should just wreck the place, leave a note and walk out like nothing’s wrong? That did sound like fun.

“…ot to let anyone in. What were you thinking? He could’ve been a killer or – and don’t tell me it’s because he’s cute or some dumb reason like that.” Now he knew why he was let in so quickly and mentally facepalmed at the obviousness of it – the young master was already in to testament to his identity. Which wasn’t good at all. And so he did the first thing that came to mind and scrambled to hide under the queen-sized bed, cursing himself quietly for not even considering the possibility that the spoiled brat might actually be home. Baekhyun said the other group was all together yesterday, so he’d stupidly assumed that today was going to be the same.

Luhan tensed up when the door swung open, and watched as best he could from under the wooden frame and thick mattress as the kid walked inside. His heart was thumping loudly, the sound blocking out everything else as he strained to keep his breathing slow and silent.

“He was given clear directions and nodded like he’d understood… perhaps he left without anyone noticing, and really did drop off your homework?”

“I told you already; I don’t know any Hyunjae. I know exactly who my so-called classmate is, and he’s bad news.” There were a few moments of complete quiet. “Alright, you can leave.”

“Yes young master.” The maid walked off, and Sehun closed the door behind her.

“Did you want me to find you or were you just too dumb to realize what a bad hiding place that is?” He couldn’t control the long line of Chinese swears that rolled off the tip of his tongue, and hissed when hands closed around his ankles and pulled him out feet first from under the bed, the rich kid staring down at him placidly. “You’re pretty stupid, aren’t you?” Sehun sneered as he let go of his legs, and he crossed his arms where he lay on the floor.

“You caught me off-guard is all. And show some freakin’ respect; I’m two years older than you so you can at least stop insulting me like you’re any better.” The other just shook his head and rolled his eyes in apparent mockery, but Luhan didn’t miss the way the kid discreetly, though clearly not discreetly enough, pushed one of the desk-drawers closed with a small clack. “Pretty nice room you’ve got here young master.” He snickered and slowly pulled himself up and to his feet.

“I thought you might think so, seeing as how you and your queer friends tried to break in just to see it.”

“Wh-What are you talking about?” Why did he have to stutter? And how could the brat know about that? No one had been around when they climbed over the wall, and Chen was a genius at making digital evidence disappear.

“Our chef and his wife are live-ins, in case you wanted to know how I found out. Apparently Starsky and Hutch made one hell of a ruckus when you guys dropped by.” Luhan frowned at the strange names of the two beasts that lived in the Ohs backyard, wondering where in the world the kid had come up with them.

“Are monsters like that even legal in this country? Because they were pretty damn vicious and as far as I know that’s good enough reason to put them down.” He grumbled and sat down on the bed, smirking at the glare he received.

“They’re Dobermans born and raised to be guard dogs; of course they’ll be aggressive if people like you come sniffing around. Consider yourself lucky we keep them chained – at least it gives retards like you a real chance to leave before you get hurt.” The first-year smiled an incredibly fake-looking smile before finishing. “Although that might be more than you deserve.”

“Say what now?” He snarled, to his great annoyance receiving an amused chuckle in return. The way the brat was looking down on him made his blood boil. “Mind. Your. Tongue.” Was all he managed to say through gritted teeth, yet the other didn’t seem willing to heed the warning.

“What? Does the little princess want to bash my head in?” Sehun teased, and then raised a hand to gesture for him to come over. “Give it a try then, I dare you… noona.” With another row of Chinese curses spat out at a rapid rate Luhan got to his feet again, dropping his bag on the floor before glowering at the first-year, his frustration growing even worse when he did. Those eyes told him many things, but only one that really meant something – Oh Sehun was not the least bit afraid of him.

“It’s about damn time someone teaches you a real lesson.” He hissed as he made his way over, the first-year not even protesting as he grabbed his collar, instead sneering down at him insolently, scoffing before he spoke.

“Go ahead – I’ll give you one for free.” Luhan shook his head in disbelief at the ignorant little fool, but saw no point in turning down the offer.

“And here I thought you might actually have something in that pretty little head of yours.” He giggled, and before the first-year had any time to respond he brought his knee up sharply, the kid doubling over with a pained groan. Yep, a knee to the groin would forever be a failsafe way to deck someone. “That’s what you get for looking down on your elders baby boy.” He chirped and stepped over the brat to pull open that drawer. To his slight disappointment there didn’t seem to be anything there but a couple of unused notebooks, pens and erasers, but when he reached inside to feel around in the back the tips of his finger came across something that was definitely not stationary. “Well now, what do we have here?” He sung as he took a light hold of the tiny object and pulled it out, placing it in the palm of his hand. It was a seashell. Nothing more, nothing less. A seashell the size of his thumbnail, white and raffled, probably some sort of clam.

“Put- guh- put that back.” He peered down at the first-year who’d clearly spoken through clenched jaws, snickering at how the guy was painstakingly trying to stand upright again. For a second he considered knocking him to the floor again but waved the thought off – he’d have plenty of time for that later, somewhere where the kid didn’t have his loyal servants around. He had what he came for in any case, it was clear by the way Sehun glared up at him from under his long fringe. “What do you want from me?” The question had him chuckling as he went over to the bad again to pick his bag off the floor, and he slipped the seashell into his jeans pocket carefully – wouldn’t want to break it so soon.

“I want you to understand who’s in charge.” He smirked and pulled on the first-year’s arm to make him stand up properly. “But for now, I think we should go for a little walk, just you and I.”

“… and if I refuse?” He met the defiant glare with an entertained grin.

“Let’s see… I suppose I could beat you bloody before leaving, and hold onto this cute little trinket of yours until you feel like admitting that you have nothing on me and swear an oath to follow me until you draw your last breath in this world?” The kid grimaced and Luhan shook his head with a snort. “I’m just messing with you; I don’t need any oaths, but a promise would be nice. Now move or I’ll ruin that handsome face of your rich boy.” He shoved the kid towards the bedroom door before trailing behind with a light smile. “Remember, tell anyone about what’s going on and I’ll break your little treasure in the blink of an eye.” He chirped as they made their way down the stairs. They were stopped in the hall by someone who Luhan supposed was a butler or something, and Sehun accepted a couple of plastic containers in a cloth bag, even going so far as smiling at the man. As soon as they were outside he dropped his fake smile and his eyes drifted to the bag the first-year had been handed. “What’ve you got there?” A few seconds passed in silence, and he could’ve sworn he heard the beast in the backyard whine and growl as they opened the gate to leave Oh territory.

“…food.” The first-year answered tersely, not sparing him even a glance. Luhan cocked a brow, but decided to let it slip – you didn’t have to look at someone to hold a conversation, and the kid spoke politely for once.

“Food?”

“Food. I missed my chef’s cooking.”

“You’ve been away? Let me guess, the little group of rebels?”

“… If that’s what you want to call us.” The answer was stiff. “I was supposed to have been back an hour ago – they’ll wonder what happened to me.”

“So send them a text or something.”

“…”

“It’s your choice, but I’ll be taking your phone though.”

“Where are we even going? Your place?” Luhan laughed aloud at the preposterous idea – to go home would make it way too easy for the other first-years to find the brat, and he couldn’t have that. No, he had a better place in mind.

“You’ll see when we get there. Now call your friends or hand the phone over.”

“…” Why the brat turned down the opportunity to actually call for help was a mystery, but seeing as it made his own situation easier he couldn’t really complain. As soon as the phone was in his hands he turned the power off and his it at the bottom of his backpack. Sehun was watching him almost warily with narrowed eyes, and that’s when he noticed it.

“Looks like the message finally sunk in, huh?” He snickered, meeting the boy’s eyes. The way they wavered despite the glare proved just one thing – this Oh Sehun finally understood that life wasn’t a game.

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Oh-kay~ There we go. I am so sorry it took so long for me to update - I honestly don't know what happened apart from the CD release that I was overexcited about and season 3 of game of thrones that had me thinking too much in the lines of fantasy. This might be a bit shorter than the last, and hardly as well-written (I didn't really proof-read so there might be a bunch of dumb mistakes), but... you know... ugh. Poor Kris, nothing good happens to him ever... I might have to fix that in the future. Or not.

I hope you could still find a little bit of entertainment in this, despite the pointlessness of it all. I'll let you guys guess who's featured in the next chapter - tip: the order of the characters is still ridiculously simple.

So, thank you all my lovely, sweet subscribers for being so patient~ <3 have some carrotcake while you wait for the next chappie and I'll do my best to get it out soon enough, m'kay? xoxo<333 And to my dear commentists: if I could promise to update sooner for each of your awesome comments I would, but clearly I'm very bad at keeping my promises so I don't dare risk it... thanks a lot though, you do help me a lot just by stating your opinions, and I appreciate everything you have to tell me~<333 

Now, I'll be off trying to put my ideas into words for the next chapter, and will hopefully be able to update within the span of a week this time. Alright, thanks for reading, and those of you who're now on your summer vacations I congratulate you for surviving the past year of school and encourage you to do outrageous things during your break. ówò<3

Alright, bye now~! *rides off on eight-legged unicorn*

~Fi