Freedom

This is me

I stepped into the dark house with more broken glass and bullets on the floor. They all cheered me on as to thinking I’m here for the meeting.

‘My Khun, you’re not late. I guess you deserve my respect’, GD announced before they all gathered around me and patting my shoulders. I should’ve had enough courage to do this. It’s all for her. I need this first step.

‘GD, I have to confess. I’m here to inform you that I quit’, the laughter faded as his face gradually grew darker, setting in that silent mood again.

‘Say, what?’, he blinked a few more times as if giving me another chance to say the right answer. Taking a deep breath, I corrected,

‘I plan on leaving’, His eyes sharpened as he gestured to the person behind to smash me with some old wooden table. I was fiercely hit to the ground, before seeing snapped pieces of badly chipped wood.

‘My lovely Khun, you know you should never joke around with me’, resisting the pain, I said, ‘I need to leave. I have found my aspirations of life’, they all groaned and started discussing on probably whether I’ve been possessed by a ghost or that someone has directed me back on the positive line.

‘I never let traitors live. Be sure and careful of what you are saying, my friend’, he bent down in front, eyes staring me down. After so many years of fighting I know for sure he does not want to hurt me or accept my departure. Pushing myself up now that I had the energy to, I sat back on my heels kneeling on the ground.

‘I’m sorry, GD. I have to go. I hope you’d respect my decision’, standing back up he took a few steps back before pointing his gun at me.

‘Once a killer, forever a killer’, He clicked down the tab, loading the first bullet.

‘Therefore, you shall die as one’, feeling drops of sweat down my fore head, I begged.

‘GD, please don’t do this’, he was squinting his eyes a bit as if he cannot face this visionary.

‘You are making me do this’, showing slight movement in his forehand, he pressed his index finger against the trigger. I tensely shut my eyes expecting to receive a shot in my head before a voice came out.

‘GD, you don’t need to go too far. It’s not necessary’, it was Taecyeon, one of my closest mates. He was the one who talked for me whenever I couldn’t find an excuse.

‘You think I should let this little brat leave at ease?!’, Taecyeon ran and stood in front of me.

‘Khun has done enough work for you to free him from this jail. Without him, you wouldn’t be earning so much money’,

‘You bastard! Think this place is a jail? Do you want to die too?’, Feeling kind of guilty that they were quarrelling because of me. Taecyeon could possibly get injured or killed for being a helping hand too much.

‘Maybe for Khun it is. You don’t know what he’s thinking, he deserves to choose his own way’, Appreciation over flowed inside me. Simply saying, without him, I wouldn’t survive until today. His breathing was divided into different parts as he was obviously angered from me. I was about to speak before the gun fired. Everyone went quiet and looked around wanting to know who ate the bullet. I stared at Taecyeon who stared back at me puzzled. Noticing the smoke from below, I gazed down finding a dark hole through the wooden floor.

‘You’re clever to be the only one I can forgive’, surprisingly, I’ve never seen him give up or get defeated. Taecyeon turned around giving me a smile of success as I let out a final sigh of relief.

‘GD, what can I say, thank – ‘,

‘Don’t talk. Go before I change my mind’, Taecyeon came over, pulling me back on my feet.

‘My biggest regret was adopting you from the orphanage. I never thought you’d turn out like this. However, I swear, I will kill you myself next time if I see you again. Leave’, before leaving, I bowed down showing my respect and admiration. Giving Taecyeon a hug, I have a strange thought about how my life would be as a normal person.