"..."

Against All Odds

The moment they passed the border of the Phoenix kingdom, Yeol noticed the sudden change in everyone. All of them visibly relaxed as if they were breathing again. Well it's true since they were no longer in the enemy's territory and there are no dangers of anyone attacking them. From what she can hear in hushed murmurs around her, they are now in Mt. Henlil and are almost out of the mountainous pass which means that she'll soon be arriving to the Draconem's territory.

She, on the other hand, tensed and brought her guard up. Dammit, she's now in a foreign land and this is the first time she's been out of their kingdom and out of her comfort zone. 

Yeol glanced back to the bastard. He hasn't spoken a word to her ever since he told her where they're heading. Not even a nod nor an eye contact. She's also finding it hard to know they their names since they're very careful in speaking whenever she's near or around. At least the annoying one is much better since he asks how she is from time to time and smiles at her sometime which makes him less annoying every time he does that. On the other hand, the mean one just frowns at her everytime he sees her then glares and then ignores her. Oh, that makes him even more annoying.

At the very least, she is grateful that her hands were not bound anymore. Well she won't escape anyways until she finds out more about the situation and she's been docile at the very least throughout the whole trip.

Xiu Min urged his horse closer to Kris and whispered, "Are you sure that we don't need to pay respect to Shaman Jang? What if we incur her wrath? We didn't do anything the last time we passed here towards the Phoenix kingdom."

Chen, who rides beside his brother agreed. "Xiu Min hyung is right hyung. I heard that she's very powerful. Enough to safeguard the border between the two clans." Getting Princess So Ah urged them to go to the Phoenix clan's lands and this is the first time for them to go out of their own territory. 

"There is no need for that. I also asked father about this but he said not to worry. Shaman Jang was the one who placed this task upon us so maybe she already gave us the permission. That's why we didn't encounter any obstacles, right?" Kris answered. 

Satisfied, the two nodded. But Xiu Min being Xiu Min, had other plans in store for his dear friend. "The wagon we used as disguise when leaving Phoenix kingdom is slowing us down. We should get rid of it immediately." The wagon he's referring to is what Princess So Ah is riding now.

Chen being Chen, nodded in agreement, not knowing where Xiu Min's sugestion would lead to. "He's right. Me and the men would ensure that she won't escape or run."

And Kris being Kris, frowned and looked at both of them. He directed the question to Xiu Min specifically. "Oh. Then can someone tell me who'll ride with her since I think that she's not accustomed to riding a horse?"

As if carrying a very contagious disease, Xiu Min and Chen's horses broke apart from Kris and purposely went riding ahead with Chen frowning, making it clear that he does not want to be associated with the princess. The idiot on the other hand is looking far away and making comments full of nonsense.

"I am the general of the army and in no position to be familiar with the enemy and a member of the royal family to boot. Oh my reputation!" Xiu Min exclaimed so dramatically that Kris can literally see sparkles dangling above his friend's head. The image sickened him. 

No position to be familiar with the enemy, my . He was even checking the princess' condition ever since they continued traveling so much that Kris even ignored the princess. And a member of the royal family to boot? Look who's talking. He and Chen are royalty and Xiu Min always talks to them. This is the first time he saw his friend acting so damn foolish especially in front of his men. But then again, his men knew that their general is far from foolish. They mentally and unanimously agree that he's better acting this way than being the bloodthirsty and merciless general they knew in the battlefield. 

Kris sighed in frustration. He noticed that ever since they undertook this mission for the past few days, he's been sighing so much that it is worth a lifetime. He raised his right hand and shouted, "Halt!"

Like switching a machine off, everyone came to a sudden stop. Yeol, who was drowning in her own thoughts, was surprised by the immediate order. Suddenly, the bastard is in front of her. Then the less annoying and the more annoying person followed.

"Get off that wagon this instant and ride with me," Kris ordered.

Yeol could only gape at him. 

"Bloody hell?! Ride with you? That's ridiculous! I'd rather walk barefooted--"

--Is what she really wanted to say but held her tongue. That will be so unladylike and she's a princess right now.

She cleared and mustered some dignity, "Instead of riding with you, can I ride a horse on my own?"

"..."

"..."

"..."

"What, my request is reasonable right? If you think about it, who would like to ride with their kidnappers." She said defensively. The look they're giving to her is unnerving. It's as if she suddenly sprouted horns.

"Uh.. no.. well...we were just surprised to learn that a princess like you knows how to ride a horse." Xiu Min replied dazedly. This was unexpected. Women were not known to ride horses much less female members of the royal family. Well there are carriages for God's sake.

Yeol's eyes widened but it was too late. She forgot again that she must act like a princess and princesses were not supposed to know horse riding. Well bugger that since she knows how to. Everytime Hyun Ahjussi,Baekhyun's father, would hunt, she and Byun would go with him and they took horses for faster hunting. Yeol learned from this.

Excuses, hurry up, give an excuse... "So?" 

, what a lame comeback.

Dispirited that his plan took a different turn, Xiu Min turned to Kris for any decision but not before he noticed Chen's amazed expression. But he immediately looked away and started frowning. Tch, the brat doesn't want to admit that the princess he hates knows how to ride a horse which is a difficult skill that needs to be learned. 

Kris nodded, looking relieved that she won't be riding with him. No distractions.

Xiu Min whistled, signaling his men to bring a horse. One of the men hurriedly led a mahogany-colored stallion that looks mean and nasty. Immediately, Chen smirked. 

Ahhh, so much for admiration, Xiu Min thought. He knows what's running on that prince's mind. Chen wants to find out if the princess can really ride the animal but not before she runs away from it looking so scared. Among all the horses, this one is the least terrifying. 

She started getting off from the wagon and walked towards the horse confidently but the animal is starting to prance dangerously. Xiu Min readied himself in case the horse might trample the princess any minute from now but Kris beat him to it. He was on his guard before Xiu Min can prepare and was ready to move if anything happens. But the princess still continued and even tapped the animal's head twice.

Oblivious and feigning conern, Chen offered, "Perhaps the Princess needs assisstance in climb--eh?!"

With quick movements and agility, Princess So Ah was on top of the horse sitting comfortably as if she belongs there and was already holding the reins. 

"..."

"..."

"..."

Smiling so innocently and too sweetly, Yeol asked the silence. "So shall we proceed?" 

 


Damn, in yo face mates! HAHA :D I had fun writing this one.

I'm taking too long right? Hehe me here is also anxious when they'll be arriving soon but please be patient!

Anyways, I got so carried away that I realized I haven't even wrote how Kris and Yeol were described! OTL so soweee... (_ _")

Thanks for reading! Please do comment and subscribe!!!