His Mission

Against All Odds

 

Kris was tending on his horse when his father’s eunuch, Hyung Sun, appeared.

“Your highness, his majesty is calling you in the sanctum immediately.” He bowed down and left.

That’s odd; his father rarely calls him inside the palace’s sanctum unless it involves their kingdom’s security and welfare. He followed immediately and found his mother, Queen So Hye, sitting on the plush sofa and sipping tea. His father, King Sung Jo, is watching their fireplace, his back turned to Kris. Hyung Sun bowed and left, leaving the three of them in the room.

His father went straight to the point, “Your mother and I went to Henlil this morning. Shaman Jang had sent for us.” Kris was surprised but he didn’t show it. After 20 years, none of them has set foot on that mountain. His mother is calmly listening.

His father heaved a sigh and continued, “Legend says that three thousand years ago, Mount Halla erupted causing this country to be divided into two kingdoms. Many lives were killed and a lot of places were buried under ground. People barely survived. They say that the Gods did it to punish us, all of us. And after that great calamity

“It never happened again,” Kris said, cutting off his father. Knowing what the legend is all about. “So what’s the problem?” His brows furrowed. Queen So Hye put her tea down, “Shaman Jang warned us that the three thousand-year old inactive volcano is finally awakening.”

Impossible. Kris saw that his mother’s hands are trembling despite the calm in her voice.  That’s not true, “But that‘s just legend father. You said it yourself. What proof does she have that Mount Halla is active again? Why now?” he said while smirking, trying to lighten the mood.

“She saw it happening. Three days ago and don’t question me. I can verify it that it’s true.” King Sung Jo said. Answering all the questions Kris wants to ask.

So the rumors about her powers are true. Kris gritted his teeth knowing all too well what will happen if this happens. Not only their clan but also the Phoenix tribe and the whole country will be in danger. Everyone will be dead. No dammit, he couldn’t let this happen!

“Then let’s evacuate all the inhabitants here to a safer place, ration the food and water supplies then—”

“There is a way,” his mother looked at him. “The legend is true Kris. Actually, it was our clan who made the sacrifice last time. But it was useless since it was too late when we realized what to do and the volcano has erupted.”

“Then let’s do it again. This time we’ll do it on time.” Kris said with determination. His father finally moved, turned to face him and looked him dead in the eye. Suddenly Kris was filled with dread.

“No, it’s their turn this time. We need to sacrifice the Phoenix Tribe’s only daughter.” Kris clenched his fist.

“I know what you’re thinking. That it’s heartless to offer an innocent life like a sacrificial lamb. But we don’t have a choice. You have to kidnap her.” King Sung Jo’s voice rang with finality.

Kris knew that it’s futile to discuss it with the Phoenix Tribe and ask their permission to let their daughter be an offering. Maybe they’ll even resist in taking part with the mission and let the calamity strikes.

“I’ll do it.”

 

 

A/N: Waaaa!!! I know that this chapter and the previous one are not so interesting or funny. But pleeease, please don’t give up reading! I’m still warming up ya know. :) I promise that the next chapter will be even better and my story is still progressing. I hope you’ll continue to read and persevere with my characters! By the way, the Draconem Clan (EXO-M) has some korean names. Pls don't get confused and I hope y'all understand. :D 

Thank you so much and I hope that I got you guessing and hooked up in your seats! Thank you and looove u! <3