Escape

Against All Odds

 

Kris knew that the moment he released her she fainted. Xiu Min was there to catch her and he wasn’t supposed to look down to see if she was okay because they’re running out of time but to hell with it. He pretended that they have to secure the target. Kris looked down and saw Xiu Min signaling him that everything’s fine. Kris looked back to the room again and arranged the bed carefully making it look like there wasn’t any sign of interruptions.

He quickly went down. Kris and Xiu Min headed for their escape route which is a secret passage on the wall that leads straight to the outskirts of the palace.  There a horse and a wagon are waiting for them.

Thinking back, Kris was surprised that his father knew about the secret passage although none of their clan has set foot on this land since the treaty of Henlil.

It has been almost 20 years since the treaty was made in the mountains of Henlil. Both the kings and queens of the Draconem Clan and Phoenix Tribe agreed to never interfere with their own kingdoms. They did it in Henlil because it is the only neutral territory and serves as the boundary between the two kingdoms. The mountainous range was occupied by the most powerful and respectable sage, shaman Jang. But Kris never knew if she has powers and his parents never talks about much on what exactly happened on Henlil when they concurred the truce.

“So what now?” Xiu Min asked, breaking Kris’ train of thoughts. He already put the girl on the wagon and was waiting for Kris’ next move.

“We’ll dress like merchants and travel by wagon. We need to keep a low profile for the guards. We’ll wait until we’re outside the city because Chen and a contingent of your soldiers are waiting for us,” Kris explained.

Xiu Min is one of his close friends and the General of their clan’s military.  Both of them are the same age but at the age of 22 he’s now leading their soldiers. He also came from a prestigious family and because they often visit the palace, both of them became fast friends.

“Okay. I’ve instructed them to meet us at a riverbank secluded from the main road and the place is isolated by thick trees,” Xiu Min answered back. 

“Oh, put her in a sack and mix it with other goods and merchandises. Position her on the bottom so she’ll pass the guards scrutiny and be mistaken as one of our supplies.” Kris ordered. Xiu Min complied without any questions.

“Whatever you say Prince,” he said, hiding a small grin from Kris. He frowned at Xiu Min, showing his   irritation. When they’re alone he always wants them to call him by his name. Kris feels that there’s an invisible barrier erected between him and his friends every time they call him prince. Even though Xiu Min is a general, he acts like a complete immature and stubborn child in front of them but he sure as hell can take down 10 men at once when they’re in the battlefield. Talk about irony.  

“Save it on public.  Not now,” he said calmly. Xiu Min just replied by shrugging his shoulders. They started moving so that they can reach their destination by noon. Already in their merchant’s attire, they head off out of the palace.

Xiu Min took the lead in guiding the horses and Kris sat at the back of the wagon watching their target. She is still unconscious and he hopes that she’ll stay like that until they passed the guards. Looking at her he wondered how this frail but violent girl can save him, her family, everyone and the whole country. 

He’s willing to go as far as breaking the treaty of Henlil. They need her.

As a sacrifice.