Childish

Black & White

 

                His hand, Jinwoon’s strong hand, held mine tightly and gently. His warm fingers wrapped around my own made me feel absolute bliss. I always feel right when I walk next to him with our hands clasped together and our arms swinging back and forth.

                “What should we go on next?” asked Jinwoon. He smiled down at me as we slowed to a stop. Looking around at the rides and attractions that surrounded us, I spotted the Ferris wheel. The circular compartments spun slowly against the bright blue sky as I tugged on Jinwoon’s arm.

                “Let’s go on the Ferris wheel,” I said with excitement. I pointed towards it and jumped up and down a little bit. Okay, sometimes I can be kind of childish.

                “Seriously?” asked Jinwoon. He started laughing and I pouted. Once he realized that I wasn’t laughing he stopped. “Oh you are serious.” I glared at him and he flinched. Letting go of his hand, I turned away and crossed my arms.

                “Of course I am serious,” I whined.

                “But G.Na, aren’t we a little old for the Ferris wheel?” he asked with a nervous tone in his voice. People walked past us with smiles on their faces, and small children ran around us with their faces painted and balloons in hand. Then I saw the balloon vendor, who was dressed in a clown outfit with crazy face paint on his face, and I suddenly felt better.

                “Jinwoon,” I said pointing at the clown vendor. “Balloons.” With a wide smile on my face, I turned towards Jinwoon. Laughing, he grasped my hand and led me to the balloon vendor.

                “What would you like young lady?” asked the clown. He smiled at me, but I could see in his eyes that he believed me to be too old for balloons. I don’t care what people think, I just want a balloon.

                “I would like the purple one,” I said. The clown nodded his head and handed me a purple balloon with a pink string.

                “Lovely choice,” said the vendor as Jinwoon paid him. We walked hand in hand towards the Ferris wheel. I felt delighted with my adorable purple balloon in one hand and Jinwoon’s strong hand in the other.

                “Okay, we will go on the Ferris wheel first, but then we are going to go on the roller coaster next,” said Jinwoon as we stood at the end of the line to the Ferris wheel. I pouted at him, swallowed my protest, and nodded my head. My purple balloon floated above out heads and seemed to radiate with color in the sun. We continued our date at the amusement park going on rides, eating ice cream, and playing games. We continued to bicker over what to do next, where to go, or what to eat, but we would always compromise and move on. It was a lot of fun, and all my memories of the events earlier today had completely vanished. It is obvious that Jinwoon did not forget on purpose, and I feel stupid for getting so mad at him. The sun began to sink below the horizon and the lights of the amusement park slowly lit up in magnificent colorful glows. Completely satisfied with our date, I hugged Jinwoon’s arm and placed my head on his shoulder as we slowly made our way to the exit. Then something in a display window of a gift shop caught my head and I hauled Jinwoon towards it. It was a small pink teddy bear, with small brown eyes and a red heart stitched on its chest.

                “It is sooooo cute,” I nearly screamed. People around us gave us weird looks and Jinwoon smiled uncomfortably next to me.

“Don’t be so loud,” he whispered in my ear. Completely ignoring Jinwoon and dragging him by his arm, I stomped into the gift shop, picked up the cute bear, and headed for the cashier.  We sauntered out of the store with my arms wrapped around the pink teddy bear. I grinned like a fool as I snuggled it against my face. Jinwoon laughed and placed his arm around my shoulders.

                “You can be so childish,” he said quietly. Without protesting his remark, I just smiled at him as we strolled out of the gates of the amusement park.