Hugging Yourself

The Demon Wears Glasses

 

“He said he wanted to get to know you?” Stephanie asked, resting against the doorway as Soo-yeon put on her shoes in the hallway.

“Yeah. Weird, isn’t it?” She said, standing up and looking at her appearance in the mirror. This seems too fashionable for Soo-yeon…but it’s still too ordinary for Jessica.

“On the contrary, it’s exciting!” Stephanie said.

Soo-yeon adjusted her collar and looked at Stephanie in the looking glass. Her friend’s eyes were flashing. “For some reason, I’m surprised by your response. I thought you would agree with me that most men are beings that should be avoided.”

“Well one, you think you should avoid EVERYONE, not just guys. And second, it’s exciting because this guy sounds different.”

Soo-yeon scoffed as she opened the door.

“Seriously,” Stephanie said as she went through the doorway. “You usually brush off guys like they’re annoying fruit flies. But this guy has bothered you since the beginning.”  She watched her friend’s shoulder stiffen in interest. Why is she trying so hard to be tough…does he really pierce through her guard?

“Don’t you understand?” Soo-yeon burst out. “All men….He…” choked up.

Stephanie caught up and hugged her friend’s shoulder. “Donghae is only one man in this world. Just because there are similarities doesn’t mean there aren’t differences.”

Soo-yeon looked at her. “Then why are you crying at night?” she whispered.

Stephanie’s arm dropped. “Oh,” she said in a small voice.

Soo-yeon shook her head. “You should understand…why I can’t move on. Why I can’t get distracted.”

“But do you know?”

“Of course I don’t. You didn’t tell me.” Soo-yeon was going to add when her phone rang. “Yoboseyo?”

“Hello, Jung Soo-yeon.”

“Ah, sir!” Soo-yeon replied as she recognized the dean’s voice.

“I have been mulling about your project, and I’ve made my decision. Everything looks in tip-top shape and full of potential. After I went through all your details and called some of your references, I see no problem for you to proceed. However,” he added. “I do have one request for you.”

Soo-yeon had clutched her chest as anticipation ran throughout her body. “Yes, sir?” she managed to sputter out.

“I would like you to work at White Hall, if possible. I have invested interest in that business over the years, and it would be nice to at least know one insider. You would not have to tell me everything like the way you must report to the police, but I have experience in their matters that might be useful to you.” She heard him sigh over the phone. “I pray that you will not find compelling evidence that will prove your argument, but the suspicious you have are not illogical.”

“I…well, then what is your suggestion than how I should proceed?”

“First interview with two other companies, just to get an idea of the interviewing process. Then tackle White Hall at full force. They should let you in with no problem, or I’ll see them myself. Got it?”

“Got it, sir. Thank you so much.”

“Best of luck, Jung Soo-yeon.”

She hung up and looked at Stephanie. “I guess we better get to the elevator,” she said calmly.

“He said yes?” Stephanie asked as they walked, pressing the down button as they stopped in front of the elevator doors.

“Yeah.” She sighed in relief. “Good thing too, I was going crazy.”

“WHOOH!” Stephanie cheered. “Come on girl, this definitely calls for a night out.”

“A night out??”

Stephanie laughed at the horrified look on her friend’s face. “Yeah, I know, you need to study. But hey! We need to shop for your interview clothes!”

“But-but-“ Soo-yeon sputtered as she was dragged into the elevator.

“I know you’re always busy, but you need to take care of yourself, unnie!” Stephanie teased.

Soo-yeon swatted at her shoulder. As her friend yelped and clutched her arm in pain, she hissed, “You know there’s only one person in this world that can call me unnie!”

“Sorry! I’m sorry!” Stephanie bowed her head. “Since we arrived in Korea, I keep forgetting…”

Soo-yeon sighed and leaned back against the wall. “No, I’m sorry I was defensive. It’s been a tough week. You know you're almost like a sister to me but I can't..."

"You can't forget. You have to remember," Stephanie finished for her. "I know, Soo-yeon, I know."

I wish we weren't the only ones in this world.