First Look

The Demon Wears Glasses

 

“Look! Look at that girl over there! Aish, even I could dress better than her in my old age!”

“Shhh! Don’t talk about her that way!”

“Why not?”

“Because she’s extremely rude too! Did you know that last week, she brushed off an old man who was trying to get a seat next to her in the subway? Tch! Ungrateful girl.”

Soo-yeon raised an eyebrow and looked over to see who was talking about her behind her back so loudly. She adjusted her glasses and gave a slight cough.

The two ahjummas tensed up. “Omo, she’s looking at us! Let’s leave!” They scurried away quickly.

Soo-yeon shook her head, and continued her assent up the stairs. She knew it was useless to convince those ladies that in fact that old man was trying to take her purse by stumbling past her. The look on his face when she turned and blocked his path so that he couldn’t reach for her bag was priceless.

It was her second week in Seoul, and she was already creating an impression among the locals.

Good.

She entered the metal-plated building and walked calmly down the corridor. She passed by a clock, glancing over to see the time. She mentally congratulated herself when she saw she was five minutes early. It wouldn’t be a hassle to get to her seat in the back for her next class.

Once she entered the classroom, Soo-yeon took off her worn out and baggy coat and hung it on her chair. She adjusted the turtle neck on her sweater and took out a notebook from her bag. After taking out a pen, she sat down and flipped pages through her book.

Soon, people filed into the classroom. Several girls chatting about the cold walked past her to take seats on her left. They didn’t glance Soo-yeon’s way. She didn't look over in return.

“Okay class! Settle down.” The professor rapped a ruler on the desk, and the class fell silent. “I’m sure you have all been waiting anxiously for your grades from last week’s exam. My assistant will now hand them out.”

Soo-yeon leaned back in her seat, pulling out another book. She already knew the results, so she might as well relax and study for her next class.

*

Yunho sat in front of the room, twirling his brass fountain pen. He checked the time on his Rolex watch and muttered curses underneath his breath. Not only would he have to break the news to his father how he missed one point in the first test of the semester in his best subject, but he had a meeting attend. If the professor let out the class late, he was in for an embarrasing entrance and a harsh lecture afterwards.

He forced himself to relax. One point was one point only, right? Surely everyone else made a mistake. And maybe his luck wouldn't turn that sour today.

Yunho, you are such a liar.

“I’m sure these grades will be a wakeup call for all of you who think this is going to be an easy class,” the professor said smoothly. “I am available during office hours for help. However, for those of you think that success in this class is unattainable, one of your classmates earned a perfect score.”

Everyone turned around, including Yunho. Thoughts of shame and revenge raced through his mind. It must be one of sons of his father’s competitors that grew up in the country, so he had never been challenged by them before.

Then he noticed that one girl in the back in baggy, drab clothing who was not looking around. She was calmly reading a book, as if she didn’t  care about the test scores.

Probably because she was forced to take this class by her parents.

At that moment, she looked up and made eye contact. Yunho felt his eyes narrow. Instead of averting her eyes, like most girls did, she held his gaze calmly, like she was accepting his silent challenge.

The professor coughed and everyone turned back around to face the board. The rest of the class went quickly as the students silently took notes throughout the lecture.

When the professor dismissed the class, Yunho was the first one out. Outside the steps, his chauffeur was waiting. He bowed and opened the door for Yunho. He already knew his orders to bring Yunho to his father’s workplace.

Once inside the car, Yunho dialed a number.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Yah, Donghae, does your claim to know everyone at the university still hold?”

The man on the other side of the line laughed. “Of course, hyung.”

“Then I want you to tell me all about this girl in my class.”