Ch.6►

BLOOD

I woke up and stretched my body out. I took a deep breath and pushed the blankets away. I walked down the stairs and thought that I should at least try to go to school. Yeah yesterday was overwhelming but I think that everything between us is solved. I can’t hide in my room for the rest of my life. I showered and got ready for school.

                                                                                                ~

I took my time walking in the halls since it was already lunch and I could relax. Distracted by my phone and listening to music I didn’t really pay attention where I was walking. I looked up but it was too late. I had already bumped into a group of girls. I fell on my when I lost my balance and my phone went crashing down with me. I winced when I hit the cold ground that screeched when I fell on it. I groaned as I tried to get up. I looked up at the group of girls I had bumped into and I inwardly whined when I saw them. They were your typical preppy group that thought they were better than everyone else. They all scoffed at me and I just rolled my eyes. I saw one of them stand away from the group and go in front of me. She must be the leader of their little pack. She scanned her eyes over me and I could feel myself feel uncomfortable. She noticed and giggled evilly.

“New girl right?” she asked with her squeaky voice. I nodded slightly and tried my best to reject her eye contact. I might turn into stone if I do. I smirked at my little comment but soon regretted it when she noticed. “What are you smiling about huh? You think it’s funny that you bothered us ‘cause I don’t? Right girls?” She looked over at her pack and they all nodded vigorously. I finally looked at the girl in the eyes and I could tell that she was completely and utterly angry.

“I’m sorry.” I said meekly and hoped for the best. I could hear her scoff at me and I prayed that this would end at least somewhat fine.

“Sorry won’t cut it. You need to pay for what you did.” she clutched my wrist and yanked in the center of her group. I could feel myself tense up and I tried to pull away from her but it didn’t work. “You made a wrong decision this morning thinking you could just apologize and leave like it’s nothing. I guess you didn’t know that I’m the type to hold grudges.” She pushed me back and I tripped on one of the other girl’s feet. I fell on my knees and scraped both of them. I winced again and before I could retaliate from the fall I was yanked by my hair and slapped across the face. I cried and shrieked when I felt another slap go across my face. I could hear steps come closer but I ignored because I thought they were the footsteps of one of the girls. I was pulled up by strong arms that I didn’t expect. They felt unfamiliar to me. I opened my eyes and saw the figure of a man. He held me close to him and away from the vicious pack of girls.

“Who the do you think you are? Leave her alone!” he pushed his way out of the circle with an arm around me. He took me to away from the scene then placed me on a bench when he noticed I was limping. He looked at me from head to toe. “You look terrible, Stay here I’ll get a first aid kit from the nurse.” He told me softly and then vanished. I saw him leave and when I thought he was out of sight I ran away and to my usual spot behind the school. My legs shook when I stopped walking and I burst out crying. Why me? I can’t believe what just happened and even though I’m thankful for that guy to come and help me it’s embarrassing. I sunk down and pressed my knees to my chest.

                 ~

When I looked up, Chen was standing in front of me. I stood up, and tried to walk off, but I was stopped by his hand placed on my arm. "Dani, what happened?" he asks. "Nothing." I reply rudely. "Doesn't sound like nothing. You were crying. Tell me what happened." he demands. I sigh, and feel more tears filling my eyes. "Some girls pushed me around. And...that's that." I say. "Dani, listen. You've got to hit back. You've got to hit them back hard." he says. "I can't. I just can't." I say. He looks at me, then walks away, leaving me alone.

I felt unhappy by the way of how Chen walked away from me. He never did that before, and I needed to talk to him about it. I went to the usual spot in the woods, waiting for him, then I heard many screams. I backed up, and ran back to my house, locking the doors. After a few minutes the screaming stops, and I look outside the window. Quietly walking outside, I jump off the porch, and hear the sound of crunching leaves. When I'm at least one-hundred feet away from my house, someone covers my mouth and pulls me back. The idiot I was, I didn't bother to struggle and break free anymore, realizing who it was. Once I was let go, I look at Chen, who had more blood on his outfit and side of his mouth than last time. I think I could figure out who it was that he hunted tonight. "You didn't have to do that." I say. "It was for your own good. Those girls shouldn't have done that to you." he replies. "I'm such an idiot." I spat out while turning away from him. "Don't say that." he said while placing his hand on my shoulder. "Be me a little..." he whispered in my ear. I didn't know what he meant by that, by I closed my eyes, and realized I was watching a flashback. It was him, before he was a vampire. I think he's showing me how he was turned.

He was in the woods, running from something. I don't know what, but whatever it was, it was fast. This 'creature' that was a figure, caught him, and threw him up against a tree, hard. Holding him down, the creature sunk its teeth deep into the side of his neck, as he screamed.

I pushed him off, backing up, and placed one hand on my shoulder, and the other on my back. I continued to cry, as that flashback replayed in my head. No one, and I mean no one should deserve that. Even...Chen. He had a whole life ahead of him, but it all got taken away. "I kill people because I have to. I don't want to kill them, but I have to in order to survive." he says. "I can't believe that happened to you. No one deserves that, even you." I say. "I know." he says as he places his hand on my cheek. "You don't deserve to be pushed around." he says. "Can you stay with me? Just for tonight?" I ask. "Of course..." he replies.

~

When we get back to my house, he sits on the sofa, and I rest my head on his shoulder. I could care less about the dried blood on his shirt, and just be glad that he's here. As I slowly fall asleep, he gently places my head on a pillow, and walks away.