✦ ch. 5 ✦

BLOOD

It's been days since I saw Chen. I didn't see him at school, nor did I in the woods. It's all becoming so strange, I feel like he's pushing me away. I'm so confused. He showed his soft side to me, and the words 'I love you' came out from him, then me. I hope nothing's wrong....nothing.

~

I wait around the same area in the woods again. I look at my phone, and it reads '11:32 PM'. I've been waiting outside for thirty minutes, and he still didn't show up. Before I know it, I hear screaming and crunching at the same time. The strange thing, it's closer to where I'm at. I slowly approach the spot it's coming from, and I couldn't believe what I saw. It was Chen, feeding off of some girl's neck. He looks so...different. He doesn't look like how he usually does, and more monstrous. His face is even more paler than ever, and his brown eyes were a hazy light gold. Blood was spreading everywhere, and I backed up against a tree. He stopped drinking the blood, then twisted the girl's head, permanently killing her. He slowly walks toward me, and pins me harder against the tree. I close my eyes and turn my head the other way, avoiding his eyes. When he backs away, I open my eyes, and he's in his usual form. There's blood on the side of his mouth, and some on his shirt. The fact that I tried to hide my fear wasn't working tonight. I let some of it out. He gazed at me, and I didn't look back. Instead, I walk away, feeling more fear and wanting to cry. As soon as I got to my house, I locked all the doors and windows, and cried myself to sleep. There was no way I was going to school tomorrow, no way.

~

I feel stupid for doing this, but I have to. I got in my car, and decided to go out for a drive to clear my head. Once I closed the car door, someone covers my mouth and holds me back. As I struggle, I stop, reazlizing who it is. "It's just me." Chen says. He lets go, and I breath out heavily. He climbs in the passenger seat, and meets my eyes. "We have to talk about...what happened." he says. "Oh really? Let's recap. I saw you killing someone, and you nearly killed me!" I shout. Maybe I sound a little too harsh. "And I'm sorry you had to see that, but...now you know what I have to do." he says. "In order to stay alive." he finishes. I look at him, then place my arms around the back of my neck. "Why didn't you come the past few nights?" I finally ask. "Dani-" he starts off. "No more lies, okay?! I'm sick of lies! Tell me what's going on!" I interrupt. Instead of responding, he sighs then looks down. I get out of the car, and I could hear his footsteps behind me. I don't hesitate to stop, and I go to our spot in the woods. Once I stop walking, he gives me a serious look. Not saying anything, I pull him in for a deep kiss, then let go.

He looked at me confused and searched my eyes for an answer. “So are you still mad at me?” he asked utterly confused. I sighed ran my fingers through my hair. I looked up at him and thought for a while. Am I? I mean he attacked me but he held back. That means something to me.

“No, I-I just, I don’t know. I just want to know that… if you see me when you’re… in that form, Will you do it again?” I asked sincerely. I stared into his eyes and waited for an answer. I saw him come closer and for a second I thought about taking a step back but I didn’t. He gazed into my eyes sadly and placed his frozen hand against my cheek.

“I said I was sorry, I’m sorry you saw me like that but please understand me like how I’m trying to understand you.” He slid his hand behind my head and placed the other on my back. “I’m sorry. I promise. I promise it won’t happen again.” he looked into my eyes and then kissed my forehead. I sighed but melted in his arms.

“Okay, but please be more like this.” I slowly wrapped my arms around him and took in his scent. It was mixed with the smell of blood and I could see the dried blood on his shirt. I tried my best to not be disgusted by it so instead I looked up at him and looked away slightly. “I think you need to change.” I said meekly. He looked at himself and nodded. He let me go and said that he would be back soon. I nodded and let him leave then realized how fast he was going. I mentally face palmed myself when I remembered that he could run faster than anyone else. In an incredible speed he came back fully changed and not a spot of blood on him. He smiled at me, even though I forgave him that image of him the red crimson liquid out of a helpless person couldn’t be erased. I brought him in and still held my distance.  I don’t know why but, it’s hard for me to realize that what I saw tonight was one of the many times he’s probably done that. I looked over at him and I noticed he was staring at me. He had a sadden look on his face and I could tell he knew what I was thinking about.

“Maybe I should go,” he stood up from the sofa and I thought about holding him back but my feet didn’t let me. Maybe I need time to think by myself. He stood at the door and looked back at me. “I love you.” His voice croaked and that’s when I realized he had teary eyes. I looked up at him surprised and then ran up to him. The hesitant feeling I had towards him before vanished and I held a tight grip on him.

“I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to make you feel bad. I’m just not used to this side of you that I saw tonight but I know I love you. I love you no matter what.” I felt his hands slowly go over my small body and he held me close to his body. We stayed like that for who knows how long but I didn’t mind at all. In fact I loved it.