1~

Hold My Hand

        "How far along Doctor?" Soohwa asked, trying to fight back the tears.
        "Hard to say, you don't have many symptoms yet so it must be very early," he said calmly as she let the tears flow down her soft cheeks, Doctor No put his hand on her shoulder but she continued to cry, her mother was sitting there next to her bawling her eyes out.
        "M-mom, please, it's okay." Soohwa tried to sound brave but the tears were soaking her face turning her pale cheeks a bright cherry color .
        "Let's go Soo, we're going to find someone who can actually help you." Her mother spat and tried to drag her away.
        "No mom." Soohwa looked up hopefully at the doctor, "What can you do?"
        "We can start on chemo." He suggested as he put his hands in his pockets.
        "Let's do it." Soohwa nodded indefinitely
        "There's a doctor at Seoul Hospital, he's one of the best in the country. I'll set up an appointment."
        "N-no." Minjae (Soohwa's mother) shook her head, she couldn't let people know, she didn't want people to know. "She can't stay in Seoul."
        "Minjae, I don't think that is very wise, she will need someone to look after her and she would want her mother there." The doctor urged.
        "She's right." Soohwa's head was down as she looked at the fascinating maroon carpet. "I'll go to Busan. My father has a small studio there." Soohwa gave a reassuring smile to the elder, "I'll be fine."
        "The doctors aren't as good." He persuaded.
        "It'll be okay." Soohwa was bound and determined to shoot him down every single time.
        The doctor let out a defeating sigh and nodded, "I will make the arrangements."
        "Thank you, Doctor No."

 

 

        The next day she was ready for her departure from the blessed house in Seoul, to move into an ill apartment in Busan.
        Soohwa and her mother were driving in silence down the busy streets of Seoul, "Mother, thank you for getting the transfer done." Soohwa spoke in a low voice as she stared at the ground, the grey carpet looking even more interesting.
        "Don't thank me, I'm just doing what's best for you." Her voice was monotone as she stared straight ahead, not even daring a glance at Soohwa.
        Soohwa knew she was lying. The woman never did anything in interest for Soohwa. Ever.

 

 

 

        They hadn't stopped the whole eight hours. Not to pee. Not to eat. Soohwa's mother was angry, not at Soohwa but for her condition. If word ever got out that Soohwa had cancer it would be detramental to her father and their social standing. The Kim family was part of Kim Designs, a clothing line most popular in Korea and the Phillipines. Soohwa's father was also a prosecutor turned politician, his one goal was to become Prime Minister of South Korea. Soohwa's mother would not let their daughter's sickness get in the way.  
        Her mother parked the car, her face remained stoic as she pulled all of Soohwa's bags out and dumped them on the sidewalk. "All the furniture you need is inside. Don't ruin your fathers studio." She warned one last time and drove off after throwing a key ontop of Soohwa's bags.
        Soohwa fell to the ground and slowly cried, she knew this is what had to happen but the pain and anxiety she felt controlled her. She was to live on her own dealing with the pain, while going to school and taking care of a home. As her mind clouded with thoughts an unfamiliar voice came and pulled her back to reality.
        "Hey, are you okay?" Soohwa turned around and saw a boy with ungodly black hair, and sharp eyes. He towered over her, the sun glistening in the back making him glow.
        "I'm fine." She pathetically lied.
        "You don't need to lie to me, I'm a stranger," he shrugged with a small smile present on his face, "and it looks like that woman just kinda left you..." the mystery boy scratched the back on his neck and Soohwa just stared in silence at him when he scrambled for words, "oh well, it's none of my business, I'm sorry," he apologized and began to walk off.
        "I'm Soohwa," she stated, he smiled and turned around to face her.
        "My name is Zitao, but please call me Tao it's easier that way." 
        "Okay, Tao, it's nice to meet you," she shook his hand and he smiled even wider. It was probably a mistake to talk to a stranger so easily but right now she needed a normal conversation.
        "Do you live here now?"
        "Yeah, third floor."
        "Oh, one of friend lives on the third floor as well."
        "Maybe I'll meet him," she smiled softly.
        "Do you need any help with those bags?" He offered.
        "No, I'm fine, I have someone coming." She lied quickly. She really didn't want someone she just met to know which room was hers. 
        Tao shrugged, "Okay then, see ya around Soohwa." Tao turned around and road down the hill with his heely shoes.
        "How strange," Soohwa whispered, covering with her hand as she saw the boy ride away. As she looked at the mound of bags she had on the sidewalk she knew she was gonna regret not asking for help.
        Soohwa started to work her way up the stairs with two bags, struggling as she flung each one up. She was panting hard and was only on the second floor, and the thought of someone stealing her other bags made her panic. 'What if someone steals all my clothes!' I don't have money to buy new ones' 'My mother is going to be furious!' 'I'll become a homeless girl and have to wear the same rags everyday!' As she was freaking out she lost control of her footing causing her to trip on the steps and drop the bag from her left hand. She sighed as she watched it tumble not-so-gingerly down the staircase, her clothes strewn all over the place. "Of course this would happen to me," Soohwa whined and trudged down the stairs picking up the lost articles of clothing as she went. She grabbed her bag throwing everything back in  disorderly and then closing it again. She was about to pick it up when another person grabbed it - a man.
        "Not today!" She yelled and kicked the man in the shin ripping the bag from his hands. He yelled out in pain as he grabbed his leg and fell down.
        "What the !" He cursed and glared at Soohwa.
        "Don't think you can steal my bag so easily you thief!" She accussed. She felt very proud of herself for defending her property 'Look's like I'll be able to live on my own just fine.' 
        "God, you're ing crazy!" He yelled and stood up straight, Soohwa looked up at him with a spiteful glare, he was a good 7 inches taller than her.
        "You're the one trying to steal my bag!" She stretched her neck and fixed her posture, gaining inches to allude to her being taller than she was.
        "For your information," he spat, moving closer to her, "I was trying to help you, so you're welcome!" his voice was filled with venom as the taller male pierced Soohwa with his gaze.
        "Oh please," Soohwa rolled her eyes dramatically, "if you're gonna lie at least make it a good one." 
        "Forget it, ," he scoffed, "take your own damn bags up, I pray for your neighbor."
        "I pray for your foul mouth!" Soohwa retorted.
        "Don't bother, I'm already going to hell!" He spread his arms out wide. A muffled 'shut the up' came from the apartment the two had been arguing outside of.         " off Donghae!" The boy cursed again.
        "You seem to be popular around here." Soohwa stated sarcastically. 
        "You seem like a ," he smiled rudely.
        "Just leave me alone." 
        "Gladly." He responded through gritted teeth.
        Awkwardly they both walked up the stairs side by side. Both going against their word and both carrying Soohwa's bags.
        "My names Soohwa." Soohwa stated against her will. She was a good person and couldn't be rude to a stranger.
        "Jongin." 
        "I hope I never see you again." 
        "Same here." 
        The conversation was short and awkward before Soohwa knew it she was in front of her apartment, Jongin had carried the rest of her bags up for her. She fumbled for the key in her purse, unlocking the door Jongin walked in first and set the bags down in the middle of the big open room. 
        "Thank you." Soohwa replied dryly, not bothering to look at Jongin.
        "You're welcome." Came his reply.
        "So you live here?" Soohwa asked.
        "No, I just like to roam the building sometimes." He replied sarcastically.
        "No need to be rude." Soohwa scowled.
        "I live on this floor." He said, his phone vibrated and he retrieved it from his back pocket, glancing at it for a few moments before sliding back into its original place and walking down the stairs once again.
        
        'What a bastard.'

 

 

        After putting her bags in her bedroom her stomach began to make ungodly noises signaling that it was time for some dinner. Soohwa put on her shoes and grabbed her jacket ready brave the windy weather. Lastly, she grabbed her wallet and walked out of the apartment and left the door unlocked and went on a walk looking at all the sights.
        She found her way into town which was only about a mile from her apartment complex.It was a typical town with stores, restaurants, houses and a middle and high school, the school where she would attend starting the following Monday morning. 
        Everything was beautiful, there was a little park that had a small pond and there were even some ducks swimming in it. Park benches lined the outskirts of the pond and a walk way that circled it. It seemed like a place for lovers. She smiled at the thought of her and Bobby walking around the pond holding hands, and one day he would propose to her and they would live happily ever after. She brought herself out of her daydream as she remembered her situation and why she was even there. She sighed and made her way back through town to get something to eat.

 

        Soohwa went back to her apartment and walked in to the beautiful room, her pictures were all hung up on the walls of beautiful scenery and of her and boyfriend and her family. The brown leather couch that use to be in her fathers lounge was sitting against the wall, the tv which use to be in Soohwa's old room was on the other side of the room, she had a fluffy white carpet in front of the couch that she had gotten from Switzerland, there was a beautiful stained, wooden coffee table on the carpet. Everything in the living room seemed to be put exactly how Soohwa would have done it. Her mother and herself weren't very close but they were very much the same.
        The kitchen had all wooden utensils,the cabinets were a dark brown, lining the walls. The sink was a tub kind, pure white like it had never been used, the fridge was stainless steel, Soohwa knew it would be a pain to keep clean. Sitting in the middle of the kitchen was a small island in the middle of the kitchen, it had two tall stools on the left side. The kitchen was a white cream and the floor was dark brown like the rest of the house. 
        She moved on into her bedroom, it was a bunk bed, it had a shelf and then a small sitting space and it was all connected; she had had that bunk bed ever since her brother had left for the army and every time she felt alone or sad she would go and sit in that corner where the cushion was and it would feel like he was there with her. She smiled at all the memories flooding back, she felt the rope on the bed and a tear fell from her eye, she pulled her cellphone out and dialed a number. She needed someone who could support her till her brother came back.
        'Hello?'
        "Hey...I miss you." she said and leaned against the wall.
        'Oh hey....now really isn't a good time.' The voice said.
        "Oh, well I'll text you my address....come when you can?" she asked hopefully.
        'Yeah, yeah I will, tomorrow, but I gotta go now.' The voice said in a hurry.
        "Okay see ya soon."
        'Yeah soon.' The voice said and hung up.
        Soohwa sighed as she hung up and sat on the cushion in her bed.
 

        "Hey who was that?" A girl asked.
        "No one." The guy said, " Now where were we?" He asked seductively, the girl giggled as they began kissing on the bed .