VI

My Prisoner

VI

Chaerin woke up receiving a very complimenting smell. She stood up from her bed and saw Jiyoung cooking.

"I didn’t dream for the first time, I guess I’m just that tired." She thought to herself.

"Good morning." Jiyoung said with a flashing smile in his normal tone just like how she says it to his wife.

Chaerin didn’t answer back and just sat on the chair.

"Listen…" Chaerin didn’t look up and made herself busy looking at the empty plate.

"I am so sorry what happened yesterday." Jiyoung said expecting to hear her talk now.

"I don’t want to hear it. Don’t bring it up anymore." Chaerin said coldly not looking up and just locked her eyes on one object.

"I’m just making myself clear-"

"I-I thought somehow in whatever way, y-you might- you can be... her."

"How many times do I have to remind you that I am not her?!" This time Chaerin blurted her words eyeing Jiyoung and him looking down.

Chaerin was taken back when she saw Jiyoung flinch at her outburst.

Awkward silence filled the air and Jiyoung went back cooking breakfast.

 

Meanwhile…

An unconscious Seunghyun woke up when he felt something wetting his face. He groaned in frustration and rolled sleeping on his stomach.

The sound of a loud whinny sound made him jump fully waking him up with a banging headache. His horse sat down and stretched his neck for Seunghyun to pet him.

"Chaerin!" was the first thing that entered his now functioning head.

"It’s good to see you boy."

How long have I been down? Why do I feel like- Dammit!

That bastard! Does he really think he can get away with this? That would be stupid of him. Is he really that confident to let me go knowing his secret?

Just you wait Chaerin, I’m getting you out of there even if it cost my life.

Seunghyun didn’t go back to the kingdom’s city knowing the king would punish him knowing he returned without fulfilling his promise. He settles at a small town far away from the city and thought of a plan by himself. 

………..

Once Jiyoung left the tower Chaerin found something to amuse herself. 

"This tower is surprisingly mysterious." She pulled the lever revealing the cellar which Seunghyun was trapped just a day ago. She entered and saw a small wooden covering at the far right. She lifts the wooden cover and there was a dungeon hole, not too deep. It was full of books properly arranged. 

Chaerin was so curious of the book and took one out. The book was brown and smelly, probably because of storage. The hard bound of the book made it look very expensive. 

"Sky? Maybe it was one of Shakespeare’s work or Nathaniel Hawthorne? Lord Byron?" She grabbed the first one since it was labelled in ascending order. Because of the very expensive and exclusive detail on the bound cover it must be written from a renowned writer. Chaerin, who is a wide reader, knows a lot of literature books but somehow this was the first time she ever encountered this book titled "Sky".

"Might as well read it." She stepped out of the dark cellar and sat on the bed.

This personal book belongs to

Lee Chaerin

Her eyes widened seeing the other Chaerin’s name.

"This belongs to her?" She flips the pages and saw every page filled. Not a single page unwritten.

"Could she possibly be a writer? But it’s her personal book…" Chaerin hesitated at first. What more would a personal book be other than a diary?

But fortunately her curiosity got the better of her and started reading it from page one.

I have never seen a man as beautiful as the sky.

The infinite shades of blue, orange, pink and purple that rays to the heavens.

I would be as gay as the angles if you take me in your world of perfection.

The only world where we can be together, without fear and doubt.

An unknown yet familiar friend, when will you come and whisper sweet nothings into my ears?

 

She kept on reading and reading; page after page, as if time was passing slowly.

 

If I could have another life, I swear in the name of the heavens that I will never love other than you.

And if you shed before me, I will never love another.

 

"I guess she really did love her husband."

She heard some noises outside driving her away into her little word whenever she’s so into a book.  She immediately hid the book under her pillow.

Jiyoung barged inside the tower, as always. Chaerin just looked at him like nothing happened.

Chaerin acted as normal as possible before she tries interviewing Jiyoung like a mad woman about her other self.

"Sorry I took so long."

"Oh I don’t mind at all." Chaerin said surprising Jiyoung.

"Excuse me?"

"U-uh… nothing."

Jiyoung brought food to the table and sat down opposite to her.

"Uhmm… " Chaerin awkwardly said. Jiyoung raised his head to look at her in suspicion.  

"If you don’t mind… can you possibly tell me about the other Chaerin?" She said her voice shaking a little in nervous.

Jiyoung was taken back. He thought she would never talk to him, but here she is, wanting to know more about her other self.

"Don’t take this the wrong way. I just want to know what kind of person she is." She immediately said when Jiyoung looked at her weirdly.

"Ch-Chaerin? W-why all of a sudden?"

"Nothing particular." Chaerin said trying not to make him misunderstand.

Jiyoung let out an uneasy laugh.

"Well I don’t know where to start…" Jiyoung said tilting his head to his left, trying to think of what to say. Chaerin couldn’t help but think he looked quite cute at that moment.

"You two are very, very much similar more than what you think. It’s not just the way you look but the way you think and do is practically the same." Chaerin slowly nodded her head like how a kid learns a new fact from her teacher.

"Though, there is one think that stands out differently… " Jiyoung smiled to himself before he says it.

"She wasn’t a Lee Chaerin. She was Kwon Chaerin." Well obviously she would be Kwon she’s basically you wife, Chaerin thought to herself. So his name is Kwon Jiyoung…

"What else? What does she do?" Chaerin asked even though in fact she already knows.

"She loves literature, she’s a writer. She basically lives on a pen and paper." I guess this proves we have another thing in common.

"She always writes about nature, love, children, old couples or anything under the sun." Jiyoung continued.

"Does she also write about herself?" Chaerin asked trying not to sound suspicious.

"Why do you ask?" Jiyoung’s mood suddenly changed.

"N-n-nothing. I just like writing about personal stuffs too so I thought maybe she would- uhmm... write too. Just wondering…"

"I don’t think so. She always shows me her works and I don’t think she ever wrote anything about herself." That’s weird… she never showed him the book? But it was so artistic and beautiful… There’s possibly no way he doesn’t know that. Or maybe… she planned on showing him but… it was too late?

"What about her family?"

"She may not be from a royal family but people around town treats her just like a princess and a lot of people respect her because of her writing. She can be a rebel at times; her parents are a little strict."

"How did you ask her hand in front of her parents?" Chaerin asked. In her and Seunghyun’s case, they didn’t have a single problem since both of their parents are in favour for each other.

Jiyoung thought of what to say.

"Well… eventually they just- said yes."

Then silence filled the room until Jiyoung thought of telling Chaerin stories about them.

"I remember this one time on her birthday…"

 

Flashback…

It was Chaerin’s 18 birthday eve, it was around 10pm and Chaerin couldn’t sleep at all.

From her window she could hear stones hitting the window creating vibrating sounds. At first she thought it was some kids playing around but it didn’t stop. She was scared to check it at first but still took a peek.

She saw a silhouette outside of her window and immediately rolled the windows up.

"Oppa!" She said screaming in a soft voice.

 

"Who did she saw?" Chaerin said getting excited as if she was hearing a late night story bed.

"Who else would it be? Of course it was me!" Jiyoung said chirpy. "Well back to the story..."

 

"Come outside! It’s cold down here." Jiyoung rubbed his shoulders while waiting for her to come down. Chaerin quietly crept down her house so she wouldn’t wake her parents up.

Chaerin went down with just a coat over her night gown and brought another coat for Jiyoung.

"Why are you here?" Chaerin said while walking with Jiyoung under the moon light.

"What do you mean? It’s your birthday silly!" Jiyoung said pinching her cheeks.

"But my birthday is tomorrow." She said.

"I know but I want to be the first one to celebrate with you." Chaerin laughed hearing those adorable words from Jiyoung.

"But where are we going?" She asked.

"I heard there’s a festival going in the other town." Jiyoung said.

"Really? Let’s go, let’s go!" She said jumping up and down pleading pouting her pink lips.

"But it’s in the other town!" Jiyoung said not agreeing with her.

"I don’t care! And whose birthday it is?" Chaerin said.

"Actually tomorrow is your birthday." Jiyoung said making her lips pout and frown.

Jiyoung laughed seeing this sight.

"Okay, okay but we’re just checking." They walked for 20 minutes to reach the other town. The whole town was covered with decorations and everyone was all over the place dancing, playing and singing.

They went the different booths and roamed around getting food and go back to playing.  

"Oppa! Play this one for me." Chaerin pointed the biggest stuffed toy bear.

"Okay give me a shot." Jiyoung got pumped up and took of his coat.

"I’m telling you I only need one shot to get that bear." Jiyoung said with confidence.

"Go oppa! You can do it!" Chaerin loudly cheered for him.

Jiyoung aimed at the bottle and shot it.

"Missed!" The man said.

"What? I literally bore a hole on the bottle." Jiyoung said furiously.

"But sir you have make the bottle fall." The man defended.

"It’s okay let’s go to another." Chaerin said a little disappointed.

"I can give another shot for free." The man suddenly said.

"Really?! Thank you so much!" Chaerin’s face lit up.  A much more focused Jiyoung steady his aim on the target and…

"Win!" The man said.

"Which one would you like?" He asked.

"The big brown bear for the lady please." Jiyoung said and gave her the bear.

"Thank you oppa!" Chaerin gave Jiyoung one big hug that almost made him lose his balance.

"Come let’s go somewhere else." Jiyoung took her hand and brought her to place more quiet.

"Where are we going?" Chaerin asked.

"You’ll see." They got on the boat and Jiyoung rowed until he stopped in the middle of the lake.

"It’s almost 12 midnight." Jiyoung said.

"It’s almost my birthday." Chaerin said smiling.

"I’m so glad you’re here with me right now." Chaerin reached for his hand.

"Pleasure is all mine." Jiyoung said.

"No seriously Jiyoung. I was basically spacing out on my room and waiting for something. I’m really glad that it was you I saw outside my window."

Jiyoung smiled and looked at the beauty in front of him.

They suddenly heard a loud whistling sound. They both looked at where it came from and a huge collision of light expanded thru the midnight sky.

Chaerin gasped at the sight of the beautiful succession of fireworks.

"Jiyoung- this is…" Chaerin was lost for words.

"Since it’s your birthday I thought you should have a decent seat." Jiyoung flashed his adorable smile that Chaerin completely fallen for.

"Kwon Jiyoung." Chaerin said bursting into tears of joy.

"Wh-why are you crying?" Jiyoung thought she didn’t like it.

"Like it?! I love it!" Chaerin literally threw herself to Jiyoung making him lose his balance and fall on his back giving him a big hug.  

"I love it, I love it so much Kwon Jiyoung."

Jiyoung took Chaerin home after a long night.

"I had so much fun today. This is like the best birthday ever, and it’s all thanks to you." Chaerin said.

"Anything for you."

Both didn’t know what to do next and stayed silent looking at each other.

"Uhm… well, I should go… now." Chaerin said breaking the silence.

"Yeah… you should- good night!" Jiyoung said.

"G-good night."

Before Chaerin turned her body the opposite way she felt her cold cheeks softly laid with warm lips. It was a short peck on the cheeks and Jiyoung felt very embarrassed of his actions basing from Chaerin’s reaction.

"Good night Chaerin!" And he left running away like a little girl.

 

"And that was the first time I ever kissed her." Jiyoung said ending the story.

"Well that was nice!"

Chaerin and Jiyoung become surprising okay after Jiyoung opened up more.

_ _ _ _ _

Author’s note:

 

Thank you for the comments and my awesome 30 subscribers!