The Last Two Months

The Connection

I happened to make a lot of new friends at the campus.

In fact I finally got to befriend seven rabbits, also known as Chorong, Namjoo, Bomi, Naeun, Yookyung, Hayoung and Eunji. I was closest most to Namjoo, whom we got along with most, especially in vocal and dance classes.

The second month went by and my fate was to be decided. It was a lot more intense than I thought, having to do chores at the same time, but I really did not have a choice.

 

The third month flew by, but I was finally done!

On the last day, Hyunsik shook me awake, and whispered,

"Wake up Sungjae, you're graduating today!"

"Is this a dream?"

"No! Get dressed quickly, everyone is waiting for you!"

I got dressed, went to the ground floor and everybody was clapping for me as I descended down the stairs.

The rabbits, clams and octopi were all standing there. Confetti and balloons were flying, as well as a sign saying, "Congratulations, Yook Sungjae!"

As I stepped down, the same ajossi in the front desk stepped on stage and announced,

"We rarely have visitors, but this one has been exceptionally hardworking. Hardworking, brave, and determined. And he has proven himself those qualities, and is well on his way to becoming the K-pop star he has ever dreamed of. Please give a round of applause for our octopus, Yook Sungjae."

It felt good stepping on stage. I saw my thirteen friends in the crowd, clapping and cheering for me. It really lightened up my day, and even more as I was presented is certificate in recognition of my term here. The ajossi shook hands with me.

"Now, would you like any final words before your departure?"

"Well, ummmm, I just want to say thank you everybody. Sometimes other people despise hard work, sometimes those types of people say that they will never do what they can do. I was one of them at the beginning. And I was so close to the point of giving up. But that is a cowardly thing to think about; quitting, because you know that you can do it, and you can leap forward for what you dream about, because you know you can do what you can do. I was only a timid, cowardly and shy boy at first, but thanks to everybody, and I mean everybody, I have become a strong, brave, and determined young man. And I want to say thank you to everybody for helping me and supporting me in my dream, and I want to say thank you for all your support. Without you, I would never have had as much self-esteem as I have right now, because I know that everyone can do what they can do. Leap for your dreams. Follow them, follow the path that you desire. Only you can choose it. Now I understand that hard work pays off for everything. Thank you very much once again, and I wish you all the best of luck in future endeavours."

An emotional crowd applauded, several rabbits wiping tears as they heard my speech.

But in the end, I was led out the building, now carrying my possessions with me, the whole crowd cheering.

"Bye! We'll miss you! Come back again!"

"Don't worry, I won't!" I shouted back.

I turned to leave but Hyunsik grabbed my hand and walked hand in hand with me outside.

"You may be human, but you are as brave and determined as an octopus." said Hyunsik, smiling, "You have proved yourself wrong. You are not normal. You are a K-pop star."

"Thank you." I said, walking forward. "Wait, why aren't you going?"

"I am sorry but I cannot go with you, I have to stay here unfortunately and support the community. Besides my body is too heavy to get back into the human world."

"Promise you won't forget me?"

"Promise, I will always be in your heart. We will be together inside, even if we don't see each other."

"I will miss you, Hyunsik."

"I will miss you too, and I will never forget you. My work starts later, so I think it's time for you to go. Remember that we'll always be together. Keep looking forward, and don't look back. The path back to the human world is straight ahead."

The path was no longer in a crisis red desert but instead in a beautiful meadow of long wavy grass. Was I a hero to this community? The sky was cloudless blue, the sun was shining, and birds fluttered by. I waded through the grass.

I continued to wade through the grass until I seemed to fall down a rabbit hole, and the world dissolved round me.