Chapter 5

The Passing of Time

Minseok brushed some dirt off of Luhan's face. Even though his eyes were open, he could tell Luhan wasn't actually awake. His assumption was confirmed when Luhan's head fell to the side again, his eyes closed. He needed to get Luhan out of here and fast. He pulled the blanket off of him and sat him up, wrapping his coat around Luhan. The night was cold, but Luhan needed the warmth more. Very carefully he twisted around and got Luhan on his back, holding his legs and letting his head rest on his shoulders. He was so light it scared Minseok. He started walking, holding his cane with his hand but unable to actually use it.

 

The hill going up from the river seemed to be the hardest part and Minseok was out of breath when he reached the top. He didn't know if he could make it all the way back. He glanced to see Luhan's face briefly, feeling determination swell. He could feel Luhan shivering and could hear how short Luhan's breath was. He tried to pace himself, not wanting to push too hard.

 

He got about half way before his legs gave out. He fell to his knees and winced, making sure he didn't fall backwards onto Luhan. He felt tears form in his eyes. He wasn't going to make it. He didn't have the strength to carry Luhan all the way back to the apartment. He stared at the ground, wondering what to do.

 

“Minseok?” Minseok looked to find the source of the voice.

 

“Wufan,” he breathed. He was in his car with the window rolled down, looking at the two. His eyes darted from Minseok to Luhan and then back to Minseok. He got out of the car quickly and picked up Luhan.

 

“Get in the back,” Wufan said. Minseok just nodded and got up as fast as he could, sitting in the back. Wufan gently put Luhan in the back with him, allowing Luhan's head to rest on Minseok's thigh. Minseok smoothed Luhan's hair back slightly, concern rippling through his entire being. Wufan drove fast, looking in his rear view mirror more than he probably should.

 

They drove in silence and when they reached the complex Wufan nearly jumped out of the car. He opened the door and lifted Luhan into his arms again, Minseok getting out as well. They took the elevator and Minseok couldn't take his eyes off of Luhan. He had found him. Minseok got the door when they reached his apartment, everyone standing when they walked in.

 

“Minseok, go run a bath. Preferably a hot one,” Wufan ordered and Minseok was quick to comply. Tao looked like he was about to cry and everyone else looked shocked. Even Chanyeol, who had appeared to sober up while Minseok was gone. Wufan carried Luhan into the bathroom, waiting until the bath was full to being carefully stripping Luhan. Minseok helped and tried to suppress the surge of jealousy that flared within him. When Luhan's clothes were off he gently placed Luhan in the water. “Clean him off and shout if you need anything.”

 

“thank you Wufan,” Minseok said with a nod. Wufan just walked out without another word. Minseok turned his attention back to Luhan, holding him above the water slightly with one hand and putting soap on a washcloth with the other. He gently scrubbed away the dirt from his face and body, sighing slightly at how thin he was. Luhan seemed more comfortable now that he was out of the cold and for that Minseok was grateful.

 

When he was finished cleaning Luhan he called in Wufan again. He couldn't get him out of the bath and dry him off by himself. They didn't exchange words. Wufan just lifted Luhan from the water and put him in Minseok's arms, helping him wrap the towel around Luhan. Minseok was a little worried that Luhan hadn't woken up yet, even after getting washed, but he didn't say anything. He took him into the bedroom and placed him on the bed, covering him up with two blankets.

 

“I'll be back in a bit,” Minseok whispered before kissing Luhan's forehead. He walked out and walked into the living room, where everyone was either fidgeting or pacing.

 

“I still don't understand why you didn't take him to the hospital. He should probably get checked out,” Baekhyun muttered. Wufan just shot him a dirty look.

 

“He's not going to want to wake up in a hospital, trust me on that. If he wakes up and needs medical attention we'll take him,” Wufan explained. Baekhyun pursed his lips, not liking the answer but knew there was nothing he could do about it.

 

“Let's just be happy he's been found,” Tao said. Wufan looked at Tao and wrapped his arms around Tao. Tao smiled slightly at Wufan and leaned against him.

 

“I guess this is a homecoming party for both of you,” Chanyeol said with a grin. Kyungoo smiled at Minseok and hugged him.

 

“I'm so happy for you,” Kyungsoo said pulling back. Minseok just smiled slightly.

 

“I hate to bail on my own party,” Minseok began, but Jongdae held up his hand.

 

“It's fine. We know you need to be with him,” Jongdae replied. Minseok smiled sympathetically, but everyone else just nodded. Even Wufan seemed to accept it. Minseok walked back into the room, closing the door quietly behind him. He stripped off his shirt and climbed into bed with Luhan. He was curled up into a ball, having probably moved in his sleep. He seemed better, having a bit more color in his face and breathing normally. Minseok pushed some hair out of Luhan's face, noting the fact that it was longer than it used to be. He brushed his fingers across Luhan's cheek lightly, wanting so much to see him open his eyes. He sighed slightly and wrapped his arms around Luhan, pulling him close to chest. With the way Luhan was sleeping, his head was underneath Minseok's chin. Minseok shifted slightly, placing a kiss gently on top of Luhan's head. It felt so good to have him in his arms again. To feel his warmth. To hear his soft breathing. He didn't realize how much he missed it.

 

Luhan started to shift and Minseok relaxed his arms to allow him to do so. As soon as Minseok's arm slipped slightly, Luhan's body froze. Minseok blinked, not quite sure what was happening. He held Luhan tighter again and for a moment Luhan didn't move. Minseok developed a goofy grin when Luhan began shifting again. He couldn't help it. Luhan wasn't awake, but he still knew who was there. And he didn't want Minseok to let him go.

 

Minseok stayed with Luhan all night, too afraid to sleep. He wanted to be awake when Luhan woke up. He had to be. It was dawn, rays of sunlight streaming through the window and hitting Luhan's face slightly. Luhan opened his eyes slowly, trying to blink away the sleep. When he looked up Minseok was looking at him.

 

“Good morning Luhan.” Minseok said.